Men In Skirts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
If you go by some of the comments some people just aren't ready for men in skirts. Men are all feminized and "gay" so they may as well, the lines are just all blurred between the sexes and all that. I say why not. And where can I see a picture of David Beckham in a skirt, I say that too..

World View

Skirting Around The Issue

August 05, 2008 12:55 PM

The right of men to wear a skirt isn’t an issue you hear much about, but according to the U.K. Guardian newspaper, some are deeply committed to removing the taboo surrounding men and skirts.

Dominique Moreau is the president of Hommes en Jupe (Men in Skirts), a group of 30 men from western France who wear skirts in their everyday lives.

"We're fighting against prejudice and cliches," he told the Guardian. "Women fought for trousers; we're doing the same with the skirt."

The "men in skirts" movement isn’t isolated to France. Numerous Web sites and blogs dedicated to the movement are hosted from countries including Britain and the United States.

Skirtcafe.org, boasting nearly 500 members, describes its self as “an online community dedicated to exploring, promoting and advocating skirts and kilts as a fashion choice for men”

U.K.-based Tim Stannard, who runs a Web site championing male skirts, insists the trend has nothing to do with homosexuality or cross-dressing.

“I could wear an earring…neck chinas…grow a pony tail… Any of these would be perceived as expressing my individuality… [But] Put on a skirt! Well, have I 'turned'?

“If you think in anatomical terms, for men to have a centre seam is illogical,” he writes on his Web site.

The established blog The Sartorialist also joined the debate last month, featuring highly fashionable male skirts.

It seems to be only a taboo in the West. Many cultures have garments very similar to skirts which men wear because they are practical: for example the sarong in Asia, or the djellaba in Africa.

According to the Victoria and Albert Museum, which hosted an exhibition of male skirts, the convention of wearing only pants is relatively new.

“In the West, men have not always worn trousers. It was with the evolution of tailoring from the 14th century that bifurcated garments gradually became associated with men’s dress and masculinity. Previously, both men and women wore draped or unshaped garments and tunics.”

Celebrities such as David Bowie, Kurt Cobain and David Beckham have all donned skirts, but the look has yet to become acceptable in everyday life.

There are a small number of valid occasions for men to be wearing 'skirts' or kilts, e.g., Scotsmen while attending rugby matches or similar events. A kilt however, is very definitely a masculine garment and should not be confused with a skirt.

Men who wear skirts as a fashion statement, as described in the above article, are just pansy attention seeking dandies, probably with psychological issues. These people should be cast out of society and denied the attention that they crave.

Males crave attention in many ways, I find so many of those much more offensive than wearing a skirt.

Are women in pants doing the same things-and trying to be men?

Men who wear skirts as a fashion statement, as described in the above article, are just pansy attention seeking dandies, probably with psychological issues. These people should be cast out of society and denied the attention that they crave.

I'm going to assume this is a joke.

If not I would just have to feel sorry for you.

Kilts are hot. But this isn't about kilts. Men in skirts can be hot, depending on the skirt in question. If it's a nice, neutral, non-frilly skirt, worn with the right accessories, then fine. But if a guy's wearing a very feminine, flowery skirt, something more girly than even I would wear... he's really gonna have to girl it up completely, i.e. full drag. Otherwise it would just look silly.

Lovely.

Histrionics aside, they can wear what they want, as that is consistent with living in a free society. However, it also doesn't stop (potential) employers from judging you, so, more or less, caveat emptor.

Some examples?

Like acting out in attention seeking ways, generally making asses of themselves. Excessive displays of anger or other emotions. Aggression towards others. Inappropriate displays (and I don't mean of their bodies or whatever) in public. Wearing things other than skirts in order to get attention-or not wearing same. That would be some men of course, not all. Some men don't crave attention at all, they don't need to. And if they wanted to wear a skirt it wouldn't be for that reason.

The most manly man could be wearing a skirt-it's all about what's going on in the head and the soul, etc. Manly is not defined by what one wears or by fitting a stereotype, is it? It is 2008.

I've never understood why anyone would want to wear a skirt, but what other people wear really doesn't bother me.

I've never understood why anyone would want to wear a skirt, but what other people wear really doesn't bother me.

In 100 degree weather, walking to work, it's a hell of a lot better than pants.

Yes in the heat they're much more comfortable

Plus guys don't have to worry about having to put on pants cause they haven't shaved their legs and don't want to, don't have the time to-they could still wear a skirt. That would be incredible :drool:

In 100 degree weather, walking to work, it's a hell of a lot better than pants.

Maybe it's just me but I've never found skirts/dresses comfortable -- even in 100 degree weather. I've always felt uncomfortable in them. So if I walked to work in 100 degree temps I simply would wear shorts and a tshirt and then change when I got there.

Plus guys don't have to worry about having to put on pants cause they haven't shaved their legs and don't want to, don't have the time to-they could still wear a skirt. That would be incredible :drool:

It does figure that someone who hates dresses/skirts (me :) ) would have hairless legs. I used to shave sporadically when I was in my teens and early 20's but I haven't had to shave my legs in close to two decades. It is great...even if I don't wear skirts. :)

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I find men in skirts to be a turn-off. I would never date a guy who wore a skirt, no matter how masculine looking the skirt is. Sarongs, yes. Kilts, yes. But a skirt, no. I know, double standard there, but I like my men being men.

As for women wearing pants, I don't think they are trying to be men, just like I think a man who wewars a skirt is not trying to be a woman. Pants can be feminized. Pants also come in handy on cold or rainy days.

And another thing about men wearing skirts: they 'll have to learn to sit differently. They obviously can't sit with their legs wide apart (like Edge on the cover of HTDAAB). I can see some men wearing skirts sitting obnoxiously. So, that would be a problem with men wearing skirts.

Just my two cents!

So if I walked to work in 100 degree temps I simply would wear shorts and a tshirt and then change when I got there.

And carry my entire suit, shirt and shoes for 17 blocks? I don't think so! :wink:

Kilts are hot.

a-to-the-men.

i will admit to some jealousy of women in skirts on hot and humid DC summer days. they simply look much cooler than khakis or jeans (though, thankfully, since i have a "creative job" i can wear shorts), and i think men always benefit from some airflow down there.

And carry my entire suit, shirt and shoes for 17 blocks? I don't think so! :wink:

Well...I was also thinking of the change of clothing plan from a smell reducing viewpoint too, but I suppose if your anti-perspirant/deodorant is really good or if you don't sweat a lot you might get away with it. I'd still have to change to be reasonably sure I was acceptable to be around so I'd have to either carry my work clothes every hot day or stash some at work. I might have hairless legs, but I do sweat. :D

I would never date a guy who wore a skirt, no matter how masculine looking the skirt is. Sarongs, yes. Kilts, yes. But a skirt, no. I know, double standard there, but I like my men being men.

Even if he was the best guy you'd ever met? Granted if he was stealing your skirts and/or wearing skirts 24/7, that could be a problem. I know what you're saying but for me a man being a man isn't about what he's wearing. And a man who is secure enough to not constantly adhere to certain stereotypes regarding what being a man is, I find that so attractive.

Kilts are hot but for me that depends upon who is wearing them

I have to shave my legs constantly, unfortunately. So that's the main reason I wear pants. Plus I don't think my legs are attractive-they used to be fairly decent, now not so much.

Even if he was the best guy you'd ever met? Granted if he was stealing your skirts and/or wearing skirts 24/7, that could be a problem. I know what you're saying but for me a man being a man isn't about what he's wearing. And a man who is secure enough to not constantly adhere to certain stereotypes regarding what being a man is, I find that so attractive.

Like I said, I'm probably old-fashioned and believe skirts belong on women. Just the way some are designed - swinging back and forth - belongs on a woman's body than a man's body. I've seen men wearing skirts (not on TV), and it just looked ungraceful for the man to wear. I love to wear skirts, so maybe I'm just being haughty.

I don't know, as I said, I'm probably old-fashoined in some ways.

Like I said, I'm probably old-fashioned and believe skirts belong on women.

It's all relative, in previous times and in different cultures men wore knickers, robes, kilts, and other skirt like clothing.

gladiator-crowe.png

Pansy seeking attention dandy?

Women have long since been wearing trousers due to the practicalities, and if skirts provide other practicalities (such as being more comfortable in hot weather) then isn't this argument a bit behind the times?! Should it even be an issue whether men want to wear skirts or not?
And the practicalities are besides the point anyway. The people that disagree with men in skirts must obviously see it as degrading and a threat to their masculinity to dress like a woman...?

People think men wearing skirts is silly because they're not used to it. Are they any sillier than neckties? They look completely normal to us. Why? Because we got used to it. I think a variation on the kilt with a pair of hot boots is a look that my eye could quickly adapt to. Bring it on.

Back
Top Bottom