Men In Skirts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know, as I said, I'm probably old-fashoined in some ways.

I don't think you're "old fashioned" at all, it's just what you like and prefer and are used to. Same here. I like and prefer and am used to so many other things that really aren't all that important in a bigger picture. But that skirt wearing guy could turn out to be the one. You can always compromise on the skirts just like you can on other things, perhaps.

Gerard Butler in a skirt is still Gerard Butler. You don't see him walking around every day, tragically :wink:. I went on that skirtcafe and he wasn't there either.

"cramp the male genitals"-I find that funny for some reason

(AP) Wash. letter carrier going full kilt ahead

By DAN CATCHPOLE, Associated Press WriterThu Aug 7, 5:02 AM ET

A 6-foot-tall, 250-pound letter carrier is campaigning for the right to take off his pants. Dean Peterson wants the U.S. Postal Service to add kilts as a uniform option for men.

The idea was soundly defeated in July at a convention of his union, the 220,000-member National Letter Carriers' Association, so Peterson knows convincing management will be an uphill struggle, but at least he'll be comfortable in his kilt, or Male Unbifurcated Garment.

"In one word, it's comfort," he said.

With his build, Peterson said, his thighs fill slacks to capacity, causing chafing and scarring.

Peterson, 48, has Finnish and Norwegian ancestry but not Scottish. He began wearing kilts a couple years ago when his wife brought one back from a trip to Scotland. (A spokeswoman for Britain's Royal Mail said kilts are not allowed as part of its letter carrier uniforms.)

Now Peterson wears them everywhere — to one son's football games, the other son's concerts, shopping and gardening.

"It's the difference between wearing jammies to bed and wearing your work clothes to bed," he said.

Before the convention in Boston, Peterson spent his family's $1,800 economic stimulus tax rebate to mail about 1,000 letters and photographs of him wearing a prototype Postal Service kilt to union branches in every state, Guam and Puerto Rico.

"Unbifurcated Garments are far more comfortable and suitable to male anatomy than trousers or shorts because they don't confine the legs or cramp the male genitals the way that trousers or shorts do," he wrote. "Please open your hearts — and inseams — for an option in mail carrier comfort!"

The union's executive committee recommended disapproval, saying there was not enough demand for kilts to be worth the bother of the resolution, and delegates agreed by a large margin.

But Peterson said there are plenty of approved uniform items that very few mail carriers wear, including a cardigan sweater, vest and pith helmet. He said many convention delegates did express support after his resolution was voted down.

"I got so pumped up after being at such a low that I'm taking this to the next convention in 2010 in Anaheim, Calif.," he said.

Right financeguy, because those two clearly encompass the entirety of men who would wear skirts.

Convincing argument! :up:

I'm starting to think that this forum is completely lacking in any sense of humour, which is a pity.

Perhaps it's just my love for Classical uniform, but I always thought a skirt or tunic was more appropriate for a man rather than a woman. It just makes more sense to me.

Underwear with butt padding for men? Male girdles?

abcnews.com

Marketers Aim to Man-Up Men

Bras, Tummy-Tucking Tanks Target Male Consumers

By EMILY FRIEDMAN

Dec. 2, 2008 —

It's not just women who buy products that promise to tuck, tighten and conceal their guts, butts and blemishes.

Men have become the latest targets of marketers eager to sell merchandise that purports to improve and enhance everything from their abs to their skin to the shine of their hair.

"The men's market is an untapped market with huge growth potential," said Daniel Billett, the men's fashion and grooming expert at About.com.

"All of these companies are popping out of nowhere and targeting men," said Billett. "The pressure has shifted from women to men to look like they belong on a magazine cover."

An Australian company known as Equmen plans to release their "Core Precision Undershirt" in 2009. According to their Web site, the shirt is equipped with engineered compression technology that "energizes the body with essential structure and support."

One British journalist referred to the shirts as a male version of Spanx -- the popular women's control-top pantyhose made famous for their ability to suck in and hide even the pudgiest women. Similarly, the Equmen appears to accentuate its owners' abdominal region.

But marketers don't want to stop at the abs.

The Wall Street Journal reported Monday, Unilever, the company that makes Axe body sprays for men, is launching a hair care line that pledges to give men "girl-approved hair."

The man vanity craze is even spreading globally -- bras made for cross-dressing men are flying off the shelves in Japan.

The Japanese lingerie store known as Wishroom had sold over 300 men's bras for approximately $30 each as of Nov. 21, according to Reuters. The bras -- or bros, as they were called on the hit sitcom "Seinfeld" -- can be worn discreetly underneath clothes, according to the report.

But as strange as these products may seem at first glance, fashion experts say that with men becoming increasingly conscious of their appearance, it was only a matter of time before clothing makers caught on to an untapped source of revenue.

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, Who's the Fairest Man of All?

Billett said he's recently seen an influx of makeup lines for men, male girdles and even underwear with butt padding.

"Every major men's magazine writes about men's grouping and great picks for products that you'd see in women's magazines," said Billett, who has noticed this shift in the past couple of years. "I can think of half a dozen men's companies that just do men's cosmetics.

"It's a market share that everyone wants a piece of because men are becoming more and more concerned with how they look and how women perceive them," he said.

Andy Gilchrist, author of "The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes," links the uptick in men's vanity items to the failing economy.

Many men who had previously been sitting comfortable in their jobs are now back on the market looking for employment, spurring them to appear just as polished as the next guy.

"There is a trend now toward more classic clothing and gentlemen trying to understand the rules of dressing that's coming around because of the economy," said Gilchrist.

"All of a sudden, men who had been [more casual] are realizing that they are being judged on their image," he said. "They realize that the guy down the hall who was wearing a tie and a nice shirt got promoted."

Celebrity stylist Philip Bloch also believes that the suffering economy may have something to do with men's increased awareness of their beer belly or 5 o'clock shadow.

"When times are tough, people want to feel better about themselves," said Bloch. "They want a quick little fix like the tummy-tuck tank tops.

"You don't want to be depressed about your financial situation and look down at your waist and see you have a belly hanging out and your hair falling out," he said.

Bloch said that aging male celebrities -- from Brad Pitt to George Clooney -- also gives the average guy a reason to spruce up his appearance.

"We're seeing men take more pride in themselves and realize that it's not just a 20-year-old thing anymore," said Bloch. "They realize that 40 is the new 30 and that 30 is the new 20, and so forth, and that they have to compete."

"The age limit of sexy is just different now," he said. "You have to stay looking good for longer. Bachelor shelf life has increased."

I've worn a kilt, complete with full formal Scottish attire for weddings a few times, to be blunt it's a complete pain when using a bathroom, and the whole outfit is basically about 50 pounds of wool. It's ok when worn with just a shirt and maybe a tie, but the whole outfit is painful, especially the shoes.

My husband got married in a (s)kilt... and we loved it. And he's so confident in who he is, that he didn't mind that I did this in view of our guests...

2819565965_988bc610dd.jpg

So as one of my favorite TV characters said once... "whatever moves your furniture"

Edited to add:
Nor did he bat an eyelash when I wrapped my shawl around him for added warmth since he was shaking... :D

Mantyhose2.hmedium.jpg

adam1.small.jpg

Mantyhose’: Not your mom’s pantyhose
A growing number of men are proudly sporting body-shaping legwear
By Vidya Rao
TODAY staff
updated 3:28 p.m. ET, Wed., Jan. 7, 2009

For more than a decade, Mack wore women's pantyhose under his clothes to keep him warm while he worked as a landscaper. But four years ago, Mack, 35, discovered "mantyhose" —pantyhose for men.

"It's nice because they are specifically made for men, so I felt less weird about it," said Mack, who declined to give his last name (because his wife does still feel weird about it). "They are tougher, less delicate than women's pantyhose, but not as bulky as long underwear."

He says that he enjoys the fit and feel of the "mantyhose" so much that he wears them year-round, even though he now holds an office job.

Mack is one of a growing number of men — from construction workers to athletes and businessmen — who've found a passion for pantyhose, claiming they wear the hosiery for support, comfort and aesthetic purposes. Luckily, there are now pairs made specifically for men so that they don't have to ravage their wives’ or girlfriends’ dressers to nestle into a pair of nylons.

European men have been sporting hose for several years, but the trend has been slow to catch on in the U.S. (It is important to note that the trend has no connection to men who wear hose to cross-dress, since they prefer to wear pairs that are more feminine.) The "mantyhose" is also part of a larger trend of untraditional men's underwear designed to lift, sculpt and suck in that beer belly — from the "mirdle" (man-girdle) to Australian designer Equmen's Core Precision Undershirt, touted as the "Spanx for men." A small group of male pantyhose enthusiasts from America, Canada and Europe even set up a Web site, the U.K.-based e-mancipate.net, "to speed up the mainstreaming process of male pantyhose" for men all over the world.

Atlanta-based Luxelegwear.com, which makes European hosiery brands available around the world, has sold 75 to 80 percent of its products to men since it started in 2005, according to managing director Deborrah Ashley.

Steven Katz, co-owner of Ohio-based Comfilon, which creates and distributes men's pantyhose, says that while the market for men's pantyhose in the U.S. is "tiny," 2008 has been "our best year ever."

The "mantyhose" comes in a variety of colors and designs, but, Katz says, basic black holds the title as most popular.

Katz came up with the idea for creating men's pantyhose after surfing the Internet and finding complaints from men who were frustrated about their lack of options.

"Men were being told by their doctors that they needed compression legwear for knee problems," Katz said. "So they were sent to buy women's hosiery, and that was embarrassing for them."

One such man was 55-year-old Steve, who suffers from restless leg syndrome; he declined to give his last name for publication. "My legs would ache at night and I wouldn't be able to sleep," he said. "I thought they would help with my circulation, so I ordered a couple pairs, and my legs haven't bothered me since."

Four years later, Steve, a coffee shop manager from Greenville, S.C., can't imagine life without wearing men's pantyhose.

Katz, who was looking for a way to boost his company's sales, said he wanted to fill a void in the market and cater to men like Steve. He began designing pantyhose styles that had masculine proportions and fly openings, and in 1998, Comfilon's Activeskin Legwear for Men was born. The company now sells hosiery and intimate apparel for men only through the Internet, and also distributes a men's pantyhose line from the mainstream French hosiery company Gerbe.

Comfilon's sales tagline? "This is NOT your mother's pantyhose."

That's what Dave Andrews, 40, found when he first tried a pair of "mantyhose" in 2006, after he had worn women's pantyhose for six months.

"The benefits were there — you can't argue with the muscle support when you're on your feet all day," said Andrews, a sales representative from Indianapolis, Ind. "Plus, it's made for the male anatomy, so there's added comfort, and the control top makes you look better."

Katz says his Activeskin line isn't sold in stores because there is continued stigma about men wearing pantyhose.

"There are a lot of guys who like wearing the product because of the benefits — the support, the warmth — but the gender hang-ups about pantyhose are still so pervasive," he said.

Many men who wear "mantyhose" say it isn't them or even other guys who are embarrassed —it's mostly their wives and girlfriends.

"My wife was really uncomfortable at first — she was nervous about going out with me in public when I had them on," said Andrews. "But then we went out and she saw that no one noticed or had any adverse reaction."

Mack says his wife still isn't keen on the world knowing about his hosiery.

"I understand how people can be taken aback by it, but men used to wear this legwear before women ever did," he said. "No one's gonna stop me from wearing what I need to wear."

Andrews often gets positive reactions from people when they see that he's wearing "mantyhose." And for those who are still turned off by men wearing hosiery, Andrews responds with a couple of clichés.

"Don't knock it till you've tried it, and don't be afraid to take the leap," he said.

I can't get my mind around anyone actually wanting to wear pantyhose. I hate the things with a passion and almost never put them on unless I'm wearing a skirt or dress during the winter (which rarely happens unless it's a wedding or something).

Back
Top Bottom