Memorial Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We don't cover the war from a military perspective all that much here in Germany. Sure, we learn when it started, who was involved, about Stalingrad, when it ended, then that there was also the war with Japan and that it all ended with Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But that's about it.
Obviously, everything that went on besides the war, the lead-up to the war and its end are covered in detai. So much so, that often times the time between 1945 and 1990 gets but little coverage.

Understandably, we don't really have something like Memorial Day. There is a day called "Volkstrauertag" (National Day of Mourning), but no one really observes it. So for me as a German seeing Anzac Day or Memorial Day and how it's commemorated in those countries and how people look up to the soldiers that fought the wars is a very foreign thing.

Late to this thread, but I did think about them yesterday.

Thanks to my paternal grandfather who served in the U.S. Navy in WWII and chased Nazi U-Boats in a blimp out of New Jersey.

Thanks to my maternal grandfather who served in the U.S. Army in WWII and made sure that supplies made it up to Alaska to hold off the Japanese there.
(He was a full-blooded German, BTW.)

Thanks to my father who spent 26 years in the Navy and almost my entire childhood chasing Soviet submarines in his P-3 Orion.

And, thanks to all veterans. :up:

Back
Top Bottom