Meghan McCain-Why Does Hollywood Hate Our Troops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But whatever, I am not one to defend the schmaltz of Spielberg.
I think the scene where Neeson breaks down "I could have saved more" in Schindler's List was completely out of place in tone and one of those token 'heart-string' moments in a film where every fucking second being displayed was a heart string moment. Never the one for emotional subtlety.

It's funny because I agree with you about that scene, it was just an overkill of emotion to an already tense scene. On top of that, it completely butchered history, as no ring was ever given to Schindler, nor did he break down and cry. But I still love it. Maybe I just love Neeson for doing it. ;)

I think the scene where Neeson breaks down "I could have saved more" in Schindler's List was completely out of place in tone and one of those token 'heart-string' moments in a film where every fucking second being displayed was a heart string moment. Never the one for emotional subtlety.

i totally hear you. both of those films are just about the best pieces of filmmaking you're likely to ever see, at least from a technical standpoint. and so much of it, especially in SL, is so emotionally dead-on, even the difficult psychology of the i'm-going-to-rape-you-in-the-basement scene.

and then there's this huge fuck up at the end, and it's like a fart in church.

i did think the rocks-on-the-grave ending of SL was earned, but the Neeson breakdown was bullshit.

anyway ...

There was an interview with Rupert Everett - worth reading in its entirety, BTW - where he basically argued the exact opposite of what Megan McCain is saying!

"Being in Hollywood is like being in the Christian right these days. It's very, very right wing, no matter how much they claim they're all Democrats and they're fighting for Barack Obama. I was in Hollywood a lot in the build-up to the Iraq war and there wasn't anybody who was against it. It was as if the American people were unable to access anything outside that bubble of cinematic reality, J-Lo's bum, Ben Affleck, all that. They couldn't access Iraq, they're absolutely addicted to this extraordinary version of life, this warped mirror of society that the Hollywood studio system has produced. These huge groups like Viacom produce these extraordinary stories where the good win and the bad lose and the villain smokes a cigarette and young couples don't have sex and everyone says 'Gosh!' at worst. It's this whole language of political correctness, which I think is the closest thing to evil."

Rupert Everett | I wouldn't advise any actor thinking of his career to come out | Film | The Observer

Big Hollywood ? Blog Archive ? A Veteran Speaks: ‘Avatar’ Demeans Our Military

A Veteran Speaks: ‘Avatar’ Demeans Our Military

by Jack L. Treese, CWO US Army, Retired

Having served 23 years in the military and in Vietnam, and having a son who leaves for Afghanistan this month, I look at this film through the eyes of a patriot (one who loves and defends his country).

As opposed to those who don’t.

Certainly the special effects are spectacular. However, portraying our military as fanatical crazed killers who have joined a military mercenary force to destroy a civilization so that corporations can capitalize on some rare commodity prized by earthlings is disrespectful to our soldiers, especially in this time of war.

Showing the commander of the forces on his way to destroy a civilization while nonchalantly sipping a cup of coffee and indiscriminately attacking innocent men, women and children, is meant to demean our military.

Obviously this movie takes place in the distant future but the quotes (”pre-emptive war,” “shock and awe”) are meant to intentionally draw attention to our present war with terrorism, which is now mostly located in Afghanistan. Further proof is the fact that a Marine is the main character.

Since the film in itself is fantasy why couldn’t the military force have come from some other planet besides Earth?

Knowing that 90% of “Hollywood” is liberal, anti George Bush, pro-Obama, and cowards, only confirms the anti military theme of this movie.

Anyone reading this who is or has been in the military should boycott this film.

I look at this film through the eyes of a patriot (one who loves and defends his country).

As opposed to those who don’t.

Do we have a puke smilie? I can't find one.

Also, this guy should probably try to get a life.

There are plenty of articles about this-I just chose the most blatantly biased one I could find on short notice :wink:

I think Avatar is one of those movies in which you can see anything you want to see. Now there's even this "Avatar blues" theory that people are suffering from depression after seeing it because Pandora doesn't really exist. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom