Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
As someone who is getting her Master's degree in journalism, I do feel a sense of bias in the mainstream media. What I quoted above are examples. Why can't Joe is Plumber ask Obama something that concerns him? Isn't this a free country, with freedom of speech as our first amendment? And the story about Acorn allegedly doing fake registrations, that should be a major story, not something to shrug off as a right wing conspiracy.
There are a few problems with that argument. First, Joe the Plumber didn't ask a question that concerned him---the subject matter of his question had nothing at all to do with his situation; he asked about a talking point, not personal experience. Second, the media did let him ask his question in peace. When he was made into an icon during the debate by one of the candidates, the media turned to get more information on him in the same way they dig for info on any single person in the spotlight. Perhaps they had a little more desire to find out the truth about this guy as it seems rather odd that any plumber could make over $250,000 a year.

As for ACORN, it really shouldn't be a major story. Yes, individuals who were hired by the company committed a crime. But in the big picture, it doesn't amount to anything that warrants daily media attention. It's not as if their actions actually affected votes. It would indeed warrant daily, thorough media attention if their actions in some way prevented or swayed voting.

Quote:
And for the record, I am not voting for a president this year. I feel no matter who gets in, America is headed for a lot of trouble, and neither Obama or McCain could save us. Sounds pessimistic, but that's how I see it.
To each his/her own. But I do hope you know that you have no right whatsoever to complain about a single thing over the next four years.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post

To each his/her own. But I do hope you know that you have no right whatsoever to complain about a single thing over the next four years.
There's more than the economy at stake here. Whoever takes over is inheriting probably the biggest pile of shit any oitgoing President has ever left his successor and won't get re-elected in 4 years' time. However things like SCOTUS nominees, America's standing in the world, getting troops home, etc CAN all be influenced by this President, and those are reason enough to warrant voting.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Even if I did vote, it wouldn't count much as people say it would. I live in NY which is gung-ho for Obama. If I voted for McCain, he'll never win New York. If I voted for Obama, that will just be a drop in the ocean.

And yes, I do have the right to complain if I am unhappy with something. As I said, I am not satisfied with either candidate, so no matter who gets in, I'll be complaining about them. Voting is not the ticket for freedom of speech.

And don't worry, electoral votes show Obama is going to win the election. You have nothing to fear.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:28 AM
Cable news isn't really journalism, it's as simple as that.
It's E! doing politics.

So it's actually not surprising that MSNBC would counter program FOX.
At least MSNBC doesn't claim to be "Fair and Balanced"
And CNN is like the review of Spinal Tap's 11th album "Shark Sandwich"
I will spare you my diatribe on Wolf Blitzer and Co.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
And the story about Acorn allegedly doing fake registrations, that should be a major story, not something to shrug off as a right wing conspiracy.
I do agree that the fact that some volunteers for such organizations go as far as to corrupting votes in any way should be honestly discussed in the media.
However, I do not agree when it gets dishonestly discussed, as in this candidate has ties to this organization, so he is responsible for that and has to repudiate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
I will spare you my diatribe on Wolf Blitzer
Wolf Blitzer is so monotonous I can't listen to him. It doesn't matter if he asks someone, makes a statement or just introduces another issue, he speaks all the same.

That's my diatribe.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Is it better to vote based on a leaflet handed out by some whacky church organization saying Obama is a terrorist or to sit at home and protest the fact that our country is being sent down the gutter by corporate and special interests?

Seems to me, you'd rather afford 'rights' to those who would mindlessly pull a ballot lever.

I know that's not what you mean.
But what you're implying is tedious.

What good is a contrarian vote in a mass majority red or blue state?
Just to say you did? You could always lie. What's the point?

I have more respect for people who actively participate in the political process and then shun it in protest than those who go to the voting booth based on all the wrong reasons.

I'll be voting for Obama in a state where he will certainly lose.
I do it because of the basic principles you allude to but I don't expect others to follow suit. I vote because it's a right that I appreciate. Just like a protest vote. Somebody sacrificed more than I could ever give so that I could choose for myself to do either.

Cue the Lee Greenwood!!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Wolf Blitzer is so monotonous I can't listen to him. It doesn't matter if he asks someone, makes a statement or just introduces another issue, he speaks all the same.

That's my diatribe.
I hate it when he reads the graphics on the screen. (Like poll numbers)

He will literally sit there and read the entire graphic as if the graphic serves no purpose at all, pausing all along the way in between "uh..." and yes, totally monotone.

That's a 'teaser' of my anti-CNN diatribe.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Middle America, even when they didn't agree with Joe, looked on in horror as the press took apart the private life of an average person who had the temerity to ask a tough question of a presidential candidate. So much for the standing up for the little man. So much for speaking truth to power.
Meanwhile, Joe the Plumber held a press conference to announce who he is endorsing and is even on a "Joe the Plumber" tour.

toledoblade.com -- 'Joe the Plumber' calls John McCain 'a real American'
Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #25
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
"This housing crisis didn't come out of nowhere. It was not a vague emanation of the evil Bush administration.

It was a direct result of the political decision, back in the late 1990s, to loosen the rules of lending so that home loans would be more accessible to poor people. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were authorized to approve risky loans."
Which party dominated Congress in the late 1990s?

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac purchase loans from lenders; they don't lend money themselves. When subprime lending was at its peak in '04-'06, more than 80% of subprime loans were issued by private institutions. Greenspan's decision to cut interest rates after the '01-'02 recession fueled the bubble, unregulated private lenders made and repackaged tons of junk loans into mortgage-backed securities, then sold them to investors. There was no assignee liability. And because Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were competing against Citigroup, Merrill Lynch et al., they too took stupid risks to protect their market share. Trying to pin a SNAFU this complex all on Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd is hilarious. And as for who got contributions from who and took advice from who and when, that's all been dissected and counterdissected and debunked and counterdebunked ad nauseum in the press, as well as by nonpartisan organizations like FactCheck. I can't say what the TV news coverage has been like because I don't watch TV, but you'd have to have not been reading the papers to believe that the predictable blame games from both sides were "buried."

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:28 AM
I honestly don't believe Plumber Joe was scrutinized because he asked Obama a question. I think he was scrutinized because McCain decided to make him a superstar by mentioning him every other sentence.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

If someone who chooses not to vote can tell me that there is not even one single issue that they believe is important and that they believe will be better served by one candidate over the other, then I have no problem with that person not voting.

Obviously it's not a great thing to vote based on feelings or false information. And it's okay if you can honestly say that you have a hard time deciding because you like and dislike various portions of each platform equally. But if it's just because one thinks that "both candidates suck," then I'd say that that person hasn't really tried to engage him- or herself in the election or the issues.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
If someone who chooses not to vote can tell me that there is not even one single issue that they believe is important and that they believe will be better served by one candidate over the other, then I have no problem with that person not voting.

Obviously it's not a great thing to vote based on feelings or false information. And it's okay if you can honestly say that you have a hard time deciding because you like and dislike various portions of each platform equally. But if it's just because one thinks that "both candidates suck," then I'd say that that person hasn't really tried to engage him- or herself in the election or the issues.
I don't believe both candidates suck. I believe both equally bring something valuable to the White House. But I am undecided because I really feel the US won't be saved from any turmoil the future will bring. Both McCain and Obama say they will save us from economic problems, but I doubt it. I have paid attention to the election closely, and have come away dissatisfied with both candidates. Maybe I've set my standards too high, I don't know. But no one can force me to vote for a president this year.

ETA: And I do have to admit that living in a state that will guaranteed vote for Obama, that also makes me less motivated to vote, for reasons I explained earlier.