Mayan prophecy and 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
In an era when capitalism is being basically kept on a life support system by central bank intervention, is it time to take Mayan prophecy seriously?

Both the Hopis and Mayans recognize that we are approaching the end of a World Age... In both cases, however, the Hopi and Mayan elders do not prophesy that everything will come to an end. Rather, this is a time of transition from one World Age into another. The message they give concerns our making a choice of how we enter the future ahead. Our moving through with either resistance or acceptance will determine whether the transition will happen with cataclysmic changes or gradual peace and tranquility. The same theme can be found reflected in the prophecies of many other Native American visionaries from Black Elk to Sun Bear." — Joseph Robert Jochmans

Cusp Of Great Cycle

We are living today in the cusp of the Mayan end times, the end of a galactic day or time period spanning thousands of years. One galactic day of 25,625 years is divided into five cycles of 5,125 years.

The Great Cycle of the Mayan Long Count calendar ends on the winter solstice of 2012 A.D. Following Mayan concepts of cyclic time and World Age transitions, this is as much about beginnings as endings. In fact, it was considered by the ancient Mayans to signify the creation of a new World Age. We are almost at the end of the fifth and final 5,125 year cycle!

Mayan End Times Prophecy 12-21-2012

Down inside a disused building in central London, its ground floor the size of an aircraft hangar, the rigs were almost ready. The inaugural sound check happened at around nightfall. Those present cheered. Across the city hundreds of revellers waited, watching the web. Shortly after 7pm on 30 October, a pay-as-you go mobile number surfaced on a rave blog. Within moments, the digits were circulating through cyberspace. London's most audacious rave for years, Scumoween: The Squat Monster's Ball, was officially on

For some observers, last Saturday's scenes evoked memories of the second summer of love – the tide of rave culture that swept Britain from 1988 into the early 90s. They recognised similarities in the context – an enduring recession, and a Tory government committed to rolling back the state.

But the recession has also opened up practical opportunities for more urban raves like Scumoween. Dick, aged 30, said: "In a recession, as we've seen with the dawn of acid house and with New York in the 1970s, anywhere where's there's been a really good underground clubbing scene, you get into buildings. When you get into a building you've got the potential to have raves. Instead of gentrification, you've got empty buildings and construction projects are never finished and that creates a vacuum. If the recession continues then history indicates that the underground illegal club scene tends to thrive."

Says Miller, aged 27: "The recession increases the need not to have parties in awful bars where it's £12 on the door and it's populated with arseholes and the drinks are too expensive." But economic variables are, adds Miller, secondary to the influence of the internet in dictating a new rave culture.

"There is a self-entitlement with the generation that has grown up on the internet. They've already destroyed the music and publishing industry, now they're working on destroying the film industry. Next might be the event industry which is crying out to be destroyed.

"There is a genuine feeling that if they want to do it, then why can't they do it? If we want free songs, then why can't we get free songs? If we want these parties in the centre of London then why don't we have these parties in the centre of London?"

Return of underground rave culture is fuelled by the recession and Facebook | Society | The Observer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jul/12/90s-spiral-tribe-free-parties

In an era when capitalism is being basically kept on a life support system by central bank intervention, is it time to take Mayan prophecy seriously?
Meaning, dire warnings in hopelessly technical language from economists who can't find an inch of common ground on solutions isn't doing the trick of scaring some sense (or at least submission) into the powers-that-be, so let's try something that's even less rational but at least palpably apocalyptic-sounding instead?

I gotta be honest, FG, I really don't see what you're on about in this thread.

Meaning, dire warnings in hopelessly technical language from economists who can't find an inch of common ground on solutions isn't doing the trick of scaring some sense (or at least submission) into the powers-that-be, so let's try something that's even less rational but at least palpably apocalyptic-sounding instead?

There were a few smart market watchers that predicted the credit crunch and recession - Peter Thiel and Nouriel Roubini, for example. It's interesting to me that, with some exceptions (including the aforementioned Roubini, for example) those economists who predicted the recession were generally those actively involved in trading rather than the more academically oriented type of economists.

Rationality and irrationality, hmm. Rationality is mildly over-rated in the context of understanding economics - especially by economists themselves. Economics is a social science still in its relative infancy. Human nature is not rational - that's why we have bubbles and crashes and probably always will. Those that set out to understand the markets often start out by gaining an understanding of psychology first.

Questioning the almighty homo oeconomicus is heresy!

I'm glad most of my professors are heretics, even though it left me being called a dogmatic influenced by professors who criticise what they don't really understand by another professor who happened to be a neo-classicist.

Questioning the almighty homo oeconomicus is heresy!

I'm glad most of my professors are heretics, even though it left me being called a dogmatic influenced by professors who criticise what they don't really understand by another professor who happened to be a neo-classicist.

Interesting. In what sense are they heretics?

You seem to be suggesting that rave culture is infantile.

Do you think that the current system is rationally oriented?
That was just a reflex response to AliEnvy referencing 1999 (it's the last line, and the weirdest one). I blame her for my failure to duly note the irrationality of the current system.

I know basically nothing about rave culture, so, wouldn't even try to formulate an opinion there.

Escape through cheap enterainment gave rise to the golden age of cinema and the big band/swing era of the 30's and 40's during the Great Depression.

We're likely to see similar but modern versions of cheap entertainment such as illegal raves (and bad reality tv).

Human nature may not be rational, but it's generally quite predictable.

Interesting. In what sense are they heretics?

They are post-Keynesians or just professors who think beyond the concept of the homo oeconomicus. Neo-classical economics are being taught, but not in the sense of that being the ultimate truth to all things economics.

In the case of the illegal raves: Looks Berlin is finally exporting what's going on here for 20+ years now. ;)

That was just a reflex response to AliEnvy referencing 1999 (it's the last line, and the weirdest one). I blame her for my failure to duly note the irrationality of the current system.

I know basically nothing about rave culture, so, wouldn't even try to formulate an opinion there.

Well, the articles I linked give a decent summation of rave culture.

It isn't necessarily political (certainly not in the party political sense) but is generally anti-establishment. I would argue it is an innately entrepreneurial movement.

Unfortunately, on the last occasion some of the hardcore ravers ended up, circa 1996/1997, progressing on to an evil drug called cocaine and other similarly hard stuff.

It is interesting that the drug of choice of 'the yoof' reflects the mood of the times - in the next few years, if it has happened already, cocaine use will probably decline, whereas drugs like acid, ecstasy and magic mushrooms will mount a come back - a bit like a graph of the gold price against the property market index. As I said already, market bubbles will always happen unless human psychology changes, but I would argue that cocaine is a big reason why the recent bubble was even more extravagant than previous ones.

Back
Top Bottom