Mass Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Biden's gun control event was interrupted by a report of another school shooting. At least two dead in California.

It's been a month. We were due for another one.

Reports now say injured instead of dead.

Man, reading about what happened in California, that was a lot of coincidences: On-Site Police Officer couldn't make it in that day, they held a disaster drill training that morning. It makes me wonder if he didn't know, in advance, about at least one of those two things.

I was putting out the trash tonight and had an interesting conversation with my neighbor, he was bragging about how he went to three gun stores today and everyone of them were packed. He said that one actually had an hour long wait due to the line. He's a good neighbor and I don't feel like getting into a discussion that will go nowhere so all I asked was, "why today?". His answer: "Didn't you hear? Our black president is taking away our guns this weekend, if you don't have one you should go tomorrow. In fact I have a business card of the real nice fellow who sold me two of the pistols I bought today."

I took the card and wished him a good night.

WOW :ohmy:

Did I not get the memo? So the president(sorry the black president) is going to close gun shops this weekend? Oh, and by the way, for those that didn't know, my neighbor informed me our president is BLACK.

Yep, I live in Texas... :|

Good grief, your neighbour is nuts, BVS! Everyone knows the black-president-gun-take-back-weekend isn't this weekend, it's the next weekend -- just before MLK Day. Sheesh! :tsk:

(AP)ALBANY, N.Y. -- New York lawmakers agreed to pass the toughest gun control law in the nation and the first since the Newtown, Conn., school shooting, calling for a stricter assault weapons ban and provisions to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill who make threats.

"This is a scourge on society," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday night, six days after making gun control a centerpiece of his agenda in his State of the State address. The bipartisan effort was fueled by the Newtown tragedy that took the lives of 20 first graders and six educators. "At what point do you say, `No more innocent loss of life'?"

The measure also calls for restrictions on ammunition and the sale of guns. It is expected to pass Tuesday.

"This is not about taking anyone's rights away," said Sen. Jeffrey Klein, a Bronx Democrat. "It's about a safe society ... today we are setting the mark for the rest of the county to do what's right."

Under current state law, assault weapons are defined by having two "military rifle" features, such as folding stock, muzzle flash suppressor or bayonet mount. The proposal would reduce that to one feature, including the popular pistol grip. The language specifically targeted the military-style rifle used in the Newtown shootings.

Current owners of those guns will have to register them.

Private sales of assault weapons to someone other than an immediate family would be subject to a background check through a dealer. New Yorkers also would be barred from buying assault weapons over the Internet, and failing to safely store a weapon could lead to a misdemeanor charge.

Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

Stores that sell ammunition will have to register with the state, run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales.

In another provision, a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally would be required to report it to a mental health director who would have to notify the state. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

The legislation also increases sentences for gun crimes including the shooting of a first responder that Cuomo called the "Webster provision." Last month in the western New York town of Webster, two firefighters were killed after responding to a fire set by the shooter, who eventually killed himself.

The measure passed the Senate 43-18 on the strength of support from Democrats, many of whom previously sponsored bills that were once blocked by Republicans. The Democrat-led Assembly gaveled out before midnight and planned to take the issue up at 10 a.m. Tuesday. It is expected to pass easily.

The governor confirmed the proposal, previously worked out in closed session, also would mandate a police registry of assault weapons, grandfathering in assault weapons already in private hands.

It was agreed upon exactly a month since the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy.

"It is well-balanced, it protects the Second Amendment," said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos of Long Island.

Cuomo said he wanted quick action to avoid a run on assault weapons and ammunition. He estimates there are already about 1 million assault weapons in New York state.

Republican Sen. Greg Ball called that political opportunism in a rare criticism of the popular and powerful governor seen by his supporters as a possible candidate for president in 2016.

"We haven't saved any lives tonight, except one: the political life of a governor who wants to be president," said Ball who represents part of the Hudson Valley. "We have taken an entire category of firearms that are currently legal that are in the homes of law-abiding, tax paying citizens. ... We are now turning those law-abiding citizens into criminals."

In the gun debate, one concern for New York is its major gun manufacturer upstate.

Remington Arms Co. makes the Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle that was used in the Connecticut shootings and again on Christmas Eve when the two firefighters were slain in Webster. The two-century-old Remington factory in Ilion in central New York employs 1,000 workers in a Republican Senate district.

The bill was the first test of the new coalition in control of the Senate, which has long been run by Republicans opposed to gun control measures. The chamber is now in the hands of Republicans and five breakaway Democrats led by Klein, an arrangement expected to result in more progressive legislation.

Former Republican Sen. Michael Balboni said that for legislators from the more conservative upstate region of New York, gun control "has the intensity of the gay marriage issue." In 2011, three of four Republicans who crossed the aisle to vote for same-sex marriage ended up losing their jobs because of their votes.

It's fun to be able to look at a song couplet like that, without knowing the song really and know which way they pronounced "Iraq" based on the rhyme scheme.

I saw him on tv. To have to deal with this on top of the kids that day and all of that..I feel sorry for him. Yes he could have just not spoken to the media, but he doesn't deserve that. The families don't, above all else. To have this crap added to their unbearable pain.

yahoo.com

A man who found six children in his driveway in Newtown, Conn., after their teacher had been shot and killed in last month's school massacre has become the target of conspiracy theorists who believe the shootings were staged.

“I don’t know what to do,” Gene Rosen told Salon.com. “I’m getting hang-up calls, I’m getting some calls, I’m getting emails with, not direct threats, but accusations that I’m lying, that I’m a crisis actor, ‘How much am I being paid?'”

Rosen, a 69-year-old retired psychologist who lives near Sandy Hook Elementary School where the shootings took place, says his inbox is filled with emails like this one:

How are all those little students doing? You know, the ones that showed up at your house after the ‘shooting’. What is the going rate for getting involved in a gov’t sponsored hoax anyway?

“The quantity of the material is overwhelming,” Rosen said, adding that he's sought the advice of a retired state police officer and plans to alert the FBI.

On the morning of Dec. 14, Rosen had just finished feeding his cats when he saw six small children "sitting in a neat semicircle" at the end of his driveway. According to the Associated Press:

A school bus driver was standing over them, telling them things would be all right. It was about 9:30 a.m., and the children, he discovered, had just run from the school to escape a gunman.

"We can't go back to school," one little boy told Rosen. "Our teacher is dead."

Adam Lanza, the 20-year-old gunman, had shot his way into the school and opened fire, killing 20 children and six adults.

Rosen took the four girls and two boys—students of slain teacher Victoria Soto—into his home, gave them toys and comforted them while he tried to reach their parents. He spent the days following the massacre telling his story to the swarming media that invaded the small Connecticut town in the wake of the shootings.

“I wanted to speak about the bravery of the children,” Rosen told Salon. “I guess I kind of opened myself up to this.”

A quick Web search for Rosen's name reveals some of what he's opened himself up to: Appearing online are photos of his home, his address and phone number, several fake YouTube accounts and plenty of conspiracy theories.

One post, entitled "Grieving Town Grandfather, or Bad 'Crisis Actor,'" reads in part:

Gene's oft repeated, and changing, story about that day, focuses totally on the kids and the sound of gunshots. Even though his eyes and ears should've taken in the whole scene, his story focuses completely on the kids and the guns.

Why? Well, if this was a false flag event designed to move political opinion on gun control, here in America, then you would get a lot more bang for your buck by talking about the innocent little children. That's what tugs on America's heart strings the most ... especially around Christmas time.

Anyone who thinks this shooting was some sort of conspiracy is a fucking moron. End of story.

They blame it on a song when someone kills a cop
I wonder what music they listened to when they bombed Iraq

Regardless of how exact you were with the lyrics, this general sentiment is still spot on :up:. A video game, or a song, or a TV show, did not kill the kids at Sandy Hook. A gun did. Time to start putting the blame where it actually belongs, people.

"We haven't saved any lives tonight, except one: the political life of a governor who wants to be president," said Ball who represents part of the Hudson Valley. "We have taken an entire category of firearms that are currently legal that are in the homes of law-abiding, tax paying citizens. ... We are now turning those law-abiding citizens into criminals."

:blahblah:

I just saw this online a few moments ago:

Gunman wounds man, himself at St. Louis school - Yahoo! News

Gee, look. Another school incident. You will pardon me, then, if I'm completely and totally done with feeling any sympathy for the pro-gun sentiment in this country. Cuomo's law is a good start. Now we just need to do more nationwide with this issue.

Well, I finally had the Sandy Hook was faked video show up on my news feed. I wish I hadn't watched any of it. It definitely leaves you with a "...well...I mean...what if" feeling.

Not saying I'm buying it, just saying I wish I hadn't watched it.

I think one reason why the conspiracies are going around is because when the news first broke, there were so many different reports going around. First Adam Lanza killed his father in New Jersey and then went to Connecticut to shoot up the school. Then there were two gunman and one was in custody. It goes on and on. I think that is why those who would believe the Sandy Hook conspiracies, are doing so.

Yeah, all I'm seeing is inconsistencies being pointed out among the multitude of stories that surfaced that day. Not exactly hard evidence for mass homicide being a hoax, of which there is none.

Not only is it appalling, but it's downright a lie. Part of Obama's speech today called for more resource guards in schools.

But all the rightwing mouth pieces(who all claimed to have listened to the speech and read the orders) are jumping all over this "hypocrisy" bandwagon.

Low informational voters...

I think one reason why the conspiracies are going around is because when the news first broke, there were so many different reports going around. First Adam Lanza killed his father in New Jersey and then went to Connecticut to shoot up the school. Then there were two gunman and one was in custody. It goes on and on. I think that is why those who would believe the Sandy Hook conspiracies, are doing so.

Yep, the instant access to information, and the up to date "reporting" create these type of claims for the wackos.

Supposedly there were memorial FB pages for some of the victims put up a few days before the shooting? Well, jeez, that seems like a pretty big mistake to make if one is trying to pull such an elaborate hoax.

How some of the victims parents are seen laughing before news conference, again, does that automatically lead towards a hoax?? That they're actors? Do we know the context of the laughing? Who are we to say how someone should react after such a thing?? I'm sure most of us wouldn't be caught laughing, but you just don't know.

Then there's the "lack" of videos to the public. Does every school have video cameras?? Why would that be released to the public? That seems like something of a legal issue, and would be brought up in court at a later date.

There were cars parked everywhere, not enough police or ambulances...again, if you were a parent of a child at that school, would you decide to park a block away or just drive up to the school and get your kid??

Not releasing the bodies to the parents right away. Again, context. It's a crime scene, not something anyone can just walk right up into and take a look around, even if your child is a victim. Plus, there is usually a person in the middle, to try and keep everyone calm, and rational.

It just makes me sick all of this stuff. I swear there is a small % of people in this country that LOVES for this stuff to happen. They complain about some big bad New World Order that's controlling everything, thinking they're some sort of rebel alliance to fight against it....yet they are nothing more than slaves to misery and destruction, cause they can't function unless something bad happens.

Fuck them

I'm sorry but I don't buy any conspiracy theory out there. Period.

People who do have watched too many movies and paid too little attention to the way things actually happen in the real world.

I think I mentioned before that a close friend lost a family member. I wonder if the night I spent with other friends consoling him in his apartment for six hours was an acting job?

Most of the "facts" brought up by that conspiracy video have been proven wrong by sites like Snopes. It's just propaganda.

Not only is it appalling, but it's downright a lie. Part of Obama's speech today called for more resource guards in schools.

But all the rightwing mouth pieces(who all claimed to have listened to the speech and read the orders) are jumping all over this "hypocrisy" bandwagon.

Low informational voters...

I'm not jumping.

I agree with the President's call for more resource officers.

In my school where I teach, we have a police officer on campus all day.

She has a gun. That does not scare me.

I also agree with other states and school districts who agree in allowing
teachers and other staff members to carry concealed weapons.

Back
Top Bottom