Mass Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i never openly sobbed at any point after 9-11 the way i did this morning when i listened to Mika Brzezinski list the names of the 20 children and the things they liked (baseball, jumping on the trampoline, a new pink dress bought for the holidays). and i knew people who died in 9-11, as well as people who literally ran out of the towers as bodies fell like sacks of potatoes all around them.

I got a little emotional when Anderson Cooper did the same thing last night. Even he almost broke down live on-air.

The thing is, the people who died on 9/11 were adults who lived their lives. Most of the Sandy Hook victims were children who have only begun theirs. That's the devastating part.

i wonder what could have been going through those children's minds as something that could never have known or understood was happening to them, and how we, as adults, as a society, utterly failed them -- children rely on adults absolutely to keep them safe and protected, and they were murdered. for me, it's less about a loss of innocence than an utter betrayal of trust that they aren't even aware of.

i don't even know if that makes sense.

Given how quickly that gun discharges bullets, I imagine a lot of them didn't have any time to really think about things before they died.

You have to really feel for their siblings, especially ones that were in the same school. The one boy who was buried today had a twin sister in an adjacent classroom and she lived. I can't even imagine how difficult her life will be going forward.

i wonder what could have been going through those children's minds as something that could never have known or understood was happening to them, and how we, as adults, as a society, utterly failed them -- children rely on adults absolutely to keep them safe and protected, and they were murdered. for me, it's less about a loss of innocence than an utter betrayal of trust that they aren't even aware of.

It makes sense. What was going through their minds, it's just so painful to even have that thought.

Seeing their pictures-the little girl with the red hair, the little boy with the temporary New York Giants tattoo on his face. He was buried today. It's just overwhelming for me. But I want to look at their pictures and remember their faces.

I think it does. I'm thinking the same thing. Do kids that young know what it means to have a gun pointed at them? I mean, I'm sure they do but can they comprehend what was really happening around and to them? It also bothers me that they suffered. Its just utter senselessness.

the kids knew, their old enough. if you think about it, it is horrific

most likely he shot the adults first. because they would have moved to stop him

next he shot each child in an order, some were shot up to 11 times, all were shot at least three times.
the suffering, I believe was short-lived
very efficient killing machine, extremely horrific for the children.

Given how quickly that gun discharges bullets, I imagine a lot of them didn't have any time to really think about things before they died.

You have to really feel for their siblings, especially ones that were in the same school. The one boy who was buried today had a twin sister in an adjacent classroom and she lived. I can't even imagine how difficult her life will be going forward.

There was one girl who survived the shooting. She played dead and when it was safe to leave, she found her father and said "all my friends are dead".

I can't imagine the trauma and guilt she'll have as she grows older.

Makes perfect sense. If there ever was a crime that could have no defense, it would be that against a child.

Your role, our role as parent or adult (as i don't have kids and never will) in a society is to make sure those who cannot take care of themselves are taken care of. Obviously in the case of the parent, their child.

We can now say we live in a society where we can't even promise the child going to elementary school that they will be safe or fine.

Something has degraded so bad in this country that we can't trust to leave our kids alone anywhere.

I realize tragedies will happen, and there's no way to promise everything will be alright every single day. But I'm sorry, I never worried about being lined up and executed when I was in school. I was afraid of falling down and everyone laughing at me, or some other ridiculous or absurd incident where my ego would take a hit.

Now, parents wonder if sending their kid to school today is the last time they'll ever see them. To sit here and say this is the price we pay for freedom is immoral and selfish. Because it's about YOUR freedom and the assumption that nothing bad will happen to you, it'll always be someone else.

To do nothing will be a complete and utter failure of our country, and our morals. How we can say the USA is the shining light of the world in regards to standard of living if we continue down this path.

I hope Obama goes for it all. I don't want him to be a divider of the country, but I don't want him to back down either.

There was one girl who survived the shooting. She played dead and when it was safe to leave, she found her father and said "all my friends are dead".

I can't imagine the trauma and guilt she'll have as she grows older.
I wonder if this is correct, It may have been reported

if she was in 'the room' and he shot each child multiple times, and I have seen that stated enough times that I believe it is correct, this story does not add up.

i'm sure you'll soon be able to pour over all the grisly details you wish.

i'm also sure that kids are safest at school. the biggest threat to children are accidents that happen at home or in a car, and most violence suffered by children is at the hands of a male relative.

i'm more convinced than ever, now, that it really is the guns that are the problem. guns that enable and facilitate a mass execution like this was. it's incredibly rare, but not so rare (7 this year alone). i don't see what we lose by restricting access to assault weapons, especially since i still have to take off my goddamn shoes every time i board an airplane.

r-JACK-PINTO-NOAH-POZNER-FUNERALS-large570.jpg

Monday marks the first two burials of the 20 young children massacred at Sandy Hook Elementary School last week.

Jack Pinto (on the left), 6, is remembered as a huge football fan who loved the New York Giants.

Noah Pozner (on the right), also 6, loved reading and figuring out how things worked mechanically, his uncle, Alexis Haller, told the Associated Press. Haller said the boy was "smart as a whip." Pozner's twin sister, Arielle, survived the shooting. He had called Arielle his "best friend."

cruzfeet.jpg

The shoe of New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz bears the words "R.I.P. Jack Pinto," in Atlanta, Georgia, December 16, 2012.

The life of six-year-old Jack Pinto may have been tragically cut short in Friday’s mass shooting at Sandy Hook elementary school, but his memory went speeding through the Georgia Dome yesterday on the hands and feet of New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz. In the Giants’ game against the Atlanta Falcons, Cruz put Jack Pinto’s name on his cleats and gloves: “Jack Pinto ‘My Hero’,” one read. “R.I.P. Jack Pinto,” noted the other.

It was a humbling tribute to the slain first-grader whose favorite football player was Cruz, a 26-year-old wideout from the University of Massachusetts. Cruz, who has an 11-month old daughter, learned in the aftermath of the shooting that Jack had idolized him and called up the family to ask if he could help them in any way. “I was in the hotel [in Atlanta] and as I was talking to them I was fighting back tears. You could hear everybody in the background crying as well. It was tough to listen to,” Cruz said, according to the New York Daily News.

Daniel Barden
Daniel Barden, 7, was another of the victims. His father Mark is a musician, and he and his family wrote the following words in memorial of their son: "Everyone who has ever met Daniel remembers and loves him. Words really cannot express what a special boy Daniel was. Such a light. Always smiling, unfailingly polite, incredibly affectionate, fair and so thoughtful towards others, imaginative in play, both intelligent and articulate in conversation: in all, a constant source of laughter and joy. Daniel was fearless in his pursuit of happiness and life. He earned his ripped jeans and missing two front teeth. Despite that, he was, as his mother said, 'Just So Good.' He embodied everything that is wholesome and innocent in the world. Our hearts break over losing him and for the many other families suffering loss.

daniel-barden.jpg

Caroline Previdi

caroline-previdi.jpg

Ana Marquez-Greene
Ana Marquez-Greene was one of the young victims shot by Adam Lanza after he opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The 6-year-old girl and her family had moved from Canada to the United States just two months before, drawn to the friendly community by the quiet streets and nearby jobs, relatives said.

ana-marquez-greene.jpg

Chase Kowalski
Chase Kowalski, a 7-year-old student in Newtown, Conn., was one of 20 children to lose their lives after gunman Adam Lanza entered Sandy Hook Elementary School Friday morning, armed with deadly weapons. Kowalski, who loved sports, left behind two older sisters. "He was an amazing little boy," said one neighbor. "He was biking in his yard all the time . . . he loved to run and bike. He was a beautiful little boy.

chase-kowalski.jpg

Dylan Hockley

dylan-hockley.jpg

Emilie Parker
Student Emilie Parker's life was tragically cut short during the devastating Sandy Hook massacre, which claimed the lives of 28 individuals. The father of the 6-year-old recalled his "bright, creative, very loving" daughter at a news conference where he sent condolences to the family of the killer. "I can't imagine how hard this must be for them," said Robbie Parker. "I'm not mad."

emilie-parker.jpg

Charlotte Bacon

charlotte-bacon.jpg

Avielle Richman

avielle-richman.jpg

Olivia Rose Engel

olivia-rose-engel.jpg

Jessica Rekos

jessica-rekos.jpg

Grace McDonnell
Another victim, Grace McDonnell, 7, poses for a portrait on August 18, 2012.

grace-mcdonnell.jpg

Rachel D'Avino
Rachel D'Avino, 29, was a teacher's aide at Sandy Hook Elementary School, where she died trying to shield one of her students. Those who knew the Bethlehem, Conn., woman said she loved her job and adored working with children. She was working toward becoming a board-certified behavior analyst and wanted to work with children who had autism.

rachel-avino.jpg

I wonder if this is correct, It may have been reported

if she was in 'the room' and he shot each child multiple times, and I have seen that stated enough times that I believe it is correct, this story does not add up.

Normally I'd just ignore you. But Jesus, seriously?

Not even going to say what I really want to say. Maybe you should raise your doubts to the Newtown police, I'm sure that's their first concern right now. Maybe they should bring her in for an interrogation.

So evidently his mother was a Mayan 2012er survivalist which explains the nature of the weapons. They need to really screen people. If your answer for getting a gun is anything other than, hunting, collecting, or home defense, the gun license should be denied.

As for semi-auto/automatic and clips that hold 30 or more, after doing some research, it's fairly easy to modify a weapon.

Kid at my school got in huge trouble for saying he wanted to start stock piling weapons for the zombie Apocalypse

12 or 15 rounds is still too many.

The right to bare arms was put into place during the time of muskets. It was never intended to allow for weapons of mass death.

B b b but Tyrants! 2nd Amendment!!

It was also written at the time when a majority of the population hunted their food and still lived under the threat of Indian raids.

It's hard for many Americans as well.

I found out this morning that one of the murdered teachers was also one of my company's employees.

The culture of this country varies from region to region and even within states. For an interesting look at this subject I'd suggest reading the 11 Nations of North America by Colin Woodard American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America: Colin Woodard: 9780143122029: Amazon.com: Books

Sorry to hear, even if you didn't interact with her personally. Do you work for source4teachers? I think they do the subs in my district. I don't know if that was the company.

It makes sense. What was going through their minds, it's just so painful to even have that thought.

Seeing their pictures-the little girl with the red hair, the little boy with the temporary New York Giants tattoo on his face. He was buried today. It's just overwhelming for me. But I want to look at their pictures and remember their faces.

I worked with that age group a few years ago and it is devastating to even imagine how they felt. That picture of the kids being lead out of the school with the one girl in tears broke my heart.

Because this country is going to hell.

So evidently his mother was a Mayan 2012er survivalist which explains the nature of the weapons. They need to really screen people. If your answer for getting a gun is anything other than, hunting, collecting, or home defense, the gun license should be denied.

re-read both of these posts and then tell me if you should own a concealed weapon in a country that's going to hell.

re-read both of these posts and then tell me if you should own a concealed weapon in a country that's going to hell.

This country is on the road to another crisis not seen since the 1850s. The partisan divide in this country grows deeper every year. Look at the twitter comments of the people who had their football game get preempted for 10 minutes because of President Obama's speech. The vile and hate was unreal. We're not there yet, but give it 10-15 years.

This country is on the road to another crisis not seen since the 1850s. The partisan divide in this country grows deeper every year. Look at the twitter comments of the people who had their football game get preempted for 10 minutes because of President Obama's speech. The vile and hate was unreal. We're not there yet, but give it 10-15 years.

so let's arm ourselves?

so let's arm ourselves?

That's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying people need assault rifles and 60 round clips. A simple handgun or even a revolver isn't unreasonable.

When power was off for a week after Sandy and the home invasions and looting started, it would be smart to be able to defend yourself, your family and your home.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying people need assault rifles and 60 round clips. A simple handgun or even a revolver isn't unreasonable.

When power was off for a week after Sandy and the home invasions and looting started, it would be smart to be able to defend yourself, your family and your home.

i agree that a simple weapon isn't unreasonable, but that assault weapons are really unreasonable.

i agree that a simple weapon isn't unreasonable, but that assault weapons are really unreasonable.

We need to reinstate the assault weapons ban in this country, that much is clear.

I heard people discussing the ban in Australia today at work. Evidently there was alot of gun violence in the 80s and 90s and it helped. Maybe some of the Aussie posters can shed some light on that later on tonight.

Yeah, fully agreed on the asssault rifle ban. Honestly, though, at this point I'd really be happy to just see guns disappear altogether. There was the story from Indiana (though apparently he was bluffing? Jesus, whether he was serious or bluffing, I'm not sure which option would be more horrific/insulting). There's the story shared in here from that theater in Texas. In Las Vegas a couple days ago two people died in a shooting at a...hotel, I think. There's the story of the kid in Oklahoma plotting a shooting. And I thought I saw on Yahoo a mention of a shooting at a hospital in...Alabama, maybe? Those news stories all came up in THE LAST FORTY-EIGHT HOURS.

There's a lady my mom works with whose daughter is going through a contentious custody battle with her ex. She's had a restraining order against her ex, and yet her ex has a gun. Sometimes her and her ex do kid pickups/dropoffs at where the girl's mother and my mom both work. Better hope to god that the guy doesn't suddenly go into some crazy rage one day and decide to solve his problem with violence.

Last year there was a dispute in front of a convienience store down the street a few blocks from where I live. It ended with one man shooting another man in the store parking lot. It happened at the time of day when my mom would normally be driving down that very road to come home from work. Luckily, she happened to have that particular day off and was home. Don't want to think about what could've happened otherwise.

And I was freaked out at work all weekend. There's been shootings at malls. We have tons of gun magazines/books that people come in and buy all the time, and have had weird, creepy customers. It's a worry that lurked in the back of my mind. It's something that could very well happen.

These are the things gun rights people don't seem to grasp-this isn't just about your personal right to own a gun, this is an issue of safety for society at large as well. It's tragic enough when family and friends of the shooters die at their hands, but tons of innocent people who have absolutely no ties to the shooters, are dying, or are injured, too. With any other issue of national security that's been coming up in recent years, our rights to privacy, speech, search and seizure, etc., get restricted and people are told to just accept it and deal with it. Why are gun rights constantly exempt from this?

I really do not understand why we always bend over backwards to protect people's "right" to own all sorts of crazy weapons that no average citizen should ever be allowed to be anywhere near, and why they don't see a problem with people taking them into public places. I truly think anyone who refuses to even budge a bit on this gun issue and refuses to acknowledge that we need restrictions and bans on certain guns and that needs to look long and hard at all those children's faces and listen to their families talk. I cannot understand how people can still keep justifying our gun culture existing as it currently is after things like this. We can't keep doing this anymore. We just cannot.

This.
Is.
Not.
An.
Excuse.

At all.

I bet Australia has a black market for guns too and you see the stas there.

This excuse needs to die in the fiery pits of hell.

Exactly.

I know this is going to be very controversial here, but I honestly believe someone at every school should have access to some sort of firearm, be it on them or locked up somewhere in the school.

No. Don't agree with this at all. As others have noted, I know people like to think that if we just arm the "good guys" that the problem will be solved, but you DO realize that there's always the possibility that the "bad guys" will get to the guns first, right? Or the person may not be able to get to their weapon in time? Or may miss and shoot the wrong person? There's all sorts of potential for that to go wrong, too. And I've never touched a gun and don't want to. That's not a skill I should have to learn just to stay safe. Take care of the problem person and situation in the first place and us "good people" won't have to take up arms.

Back
Top Bottom