Mass Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am drinking myself intomoblivion. This is miserable. I want to help my friend and cannot do a goddamn thing. Fuck this. I want to make a difference and I feel helpless.

You could argue that many people in the throes of a serious mental illness aren't really going to be able to make that rational decision.

True. I should've clarified that I was kind of referring more to the people who refuse to admit someone they love is mentally ill or refuse to take them to get help. But yeah, your point is valid nonetheless.

Reports of shots fired at Western Hills High school in Ohio during a basketball game.

*buries head in hands*

Oh, for god's sake, are you serious?

Jesus Christ, people, STOP.

I am drinking myself intomoblivion. This is miserable. I want to help my friend and cannot do a goddamn thing. Fuck this. I want to make a difference and I feel helpless.

How bout you, NOT do that. Go to bed, wake up in the morning and maybe go donate blood at the Red Cross or something. This is the worst thing you can do to yourself, Peef. You're young and alive, others are not, so please don't turn to alcohol every time something goes wrong. It will be a bad road for you in the future. Believe it or not, I care about you and every time I see you post something like this it breaks my heart a little.

Connecticut Elementary School Shooting: How To Help

Here are some places you can help, according to huffpost (people in CT, I mean, or those who would like to donate).

I'm going to not come in here and post about gun laws. I'm just too sad and broken up inside. My entire life, I wanted to teach. Specifically, I wanted to teach in elementary schools, even though my passion was in History. The reason was because I knew I would feel safer in an elementary school. The hell of the thing now is I don't feel safe anywhere. I don't feel safe for my brothers anywhere. I don't feel safe for my future children everywhere. I'm just torn up inside, and I can not rationalize this situation. I spent the entire afternoon just sleeping because I didn't want to see the news feed, and that's not a good behavior either. I want to do something so badly. I want people to wake up, I don't want to see another day like this ever again and instead they just seem to keep coming.

I believe it needs to be easier to mandate some sort of treatment for those who are mentally ill. As it is, you can only hospitalize a person for 72 hours if they are proven to be a threat to themselves or others. And that is an emergent threat.

What has led you to this belief?

I'm going to not come in here and post about gun laws. I'm just too sad and broken up inside. My entire life, I wanted to teach. Specifically, I wanted to teach in elementary schools, even though my passion was in History. The reason was because I knew I would feel safer in an elementary school. The hell of the thing now is I don't feel safe anywhere. I don't feel safe for my brothers anywhere. I don't feel safe for my future children everywhere. I'm just torn up inside, and I can not rationalize this situation. I spent the entire afternoon just sleeping because I didn't want to see the news feed, and that's not a good behavior either. I want to do something so badly. I want people to wake up, I don't want to see another day like this ever again and instead they just seem to keep coming.

From another who is profoundly sad and feels helpless, here is an internet hug, because it's all I can even do as a non-American. :hug:

So, what would the estimated cost of metal detectors be if distributed to schools across the country? I'm guessing far into the billions and I have no idea who would pay for that, but at least we wouldn't be throwing guns at more guns to solve gun crime.

On top of that, make attaining and retaining a gun license more difficult than a driver's license, for once. By the time I got my driver's license, I had respect for the vehicle and drove that way. If only people treated guns like that.

Ehhhh, not big on the metal detectors thing. I have an issue with the idea of making our schools look more like prisons. Plus, in the Jonesboro school shooting (how sad is it that I have to differentiate the shootings like that?), the kids pulled the fire alarm and brought everyone outside and started shooting away there.

Definitely agreed on the license thing, though, absolutely.

Kids shouldn't be leaving home with guns to begin with, but in that case, that would take attentive parents and kids growing up in homes where there weren't guns adorning the walls or in the sheds in the backyard. My mom just saw a story on TV a while back where parents were taking their little kids out to the hunting range for their birthday. Anyone else find it extremely fucked up that we refuse to let 18 year olds drink a beer but a little kid can hold a gun and there are people who DON'T see a problem with that or think it should be illegal?

Also, I wholeheartedly echo every last word of Ashley's post :hug:. And yes, PhilsFan, please, dear god, take care of yourself.

Someone on another board I go to mentioned writing your senators and representatives, so I did that, and wrote to Obama, too. It's worth a try. Plead with them, beg, yell, just do something to try and help. We can't go through this anymore, we just can't. I'd like to think everyone on both sides could at least agree on that?

So, what would the estimated cost of metal detectors be if distributed to schools across the country? I'm guessing far into the billions and I have no idea who would pay for that, but at least we wouldn't be throwing guns at more guns to solve gun crime.

On top of that, make attaining and retaining a gun license more difficult than a driver's license, for once. By the time I got my driver's license, I had respect for the vehicle and drove that way. If only people treated guns like that.

The answers are to destigmatize mental healthcare, make it available to those who need it, and to control regulation of firearms. However, in a country like yours where gun ownership is perceived by many to be a fundamental right, it could take generations, sadly.

If those teachers were armed this wouldn't have happened, so fire arm control wouldn't do anything.

I believe it needs to be easier to mandate some sort of treatment for those who are mentally ill. As it is, you can only hospitalize a person for 72 hours if they are proven to be a threat to themselves or others. And that is an emergent threat.

I published a paper on this very topic about 3 years ago. Agree with you.

I believe she meant involuntary committal.

Again, what has led her to believe that the presence or absence of state-sanctioned involuntary committal would have been meaningful to this case, or of other shootings?

This is an honest question, I'm curious about practical solutions and this has come up before with Gabby Giffords without a compelling connection being drawn, so hopefully it can happen here. Did people suspect the shooter was mentally ill, but were unable to do anything?

This is a very poorly written and timed joke or parody, right? Right?

I think so...I think it's a parody thing. I hope, anyway.

And really, to all those who are doing the "devil's advocate" thing, maybe give it a rest today and just be honest and genuine with your comments for a change? Not really in the mood to play silly games.

So diagnose this guy.

It's too early to talk about this without knowing 1) his medical history or 2) his motive.

People make choices because one option benefits them over the other. At present, we don't know what those options were or what he was thinking. He may not have been thinking. We may not be able to apply logic to his situation at all.

No amount of training can help you diagnose this guy.

It's too early to talk about this without knowing 1) his medical history or 2) his motive.

People make choices because one option benefits them over the other. At present, we don't know what those options were or what he was thinking. He may not have been thinking. We may not be able to apply logic to his situation at all.

No amount of training can help you diagnose this guy.

Some people are just evil. He made a choice to turn a gun on a scared, cowering innocent child and pull the trigger. And do it again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

Back
Top Bottom