Mass Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,858
Local Time: 11:07 PM
I am drinking myself intomoblivion. This is miserable. I want to help my friend and cannot do a goddamn thing. Fuck this. I want to make a difference and I feel helpless.
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #62
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,661
Local Time: 12:07 AM
Reports of shots fired at Western Hills High school in Ohio during a basketball game.

*buries head in hands*
__________________

__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,088
Local Time: 08:07 PM
I believe it needs to be easier to mandate some sort of treatment for those who are mentally ill. As it is, you can only hospitalize a person for 72 hours if they are proven to be a threat to themselves or others. And that is an emergent threat.
__________________
trojanchick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,255
Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
You could argue that many people in the throes of a serious mental illness aren't really going to be able to make that rational decision.
True. I should've clarified that I was kind of referring more to the people who refuse to admit someone they love is mentally ill or refuse to take them to get help. But yeah, your point is valid nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Reports of shots fired at Western Hills High school in Ohio during a basketball game.

*buries head in hands*
Oh, for god's sake, are you serious?

Jesus Christ, people, STOP.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #65
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I am drinking myself intomoblivion. This is miserable. I want to help my friend and cannot do a goddamn thing. Fuck this. I want to make a difference and I feel helpless.
How bout you, NOT do that. Go to bed, wake up in the morning and maybe go donate blood at the Red Cross or something. This is the worst thing you can do to yourself, Peef. You're young and alive, others are not, so please don't turn to alcohol every time something goes wrong. It will be a bad road for you in the future. Believe it or not, I care about you and every time I see you post something like this it breaks my heart a little.

Connecticut Elementary School Shooting: How To Help

Here are some places you can help, according to huffpost (people in CT, I mean, or those who would like to donate).

I'm going to not come in here and post about gun laws. I'm just too sad and broken up inside. My entire life, I wanted to teach. Specifically, I wanted to teach in elementary schools, even though my passion was in History. The reason was because I knew I would feel safer in an elementary school. The hell of the thing now is I don't feel safe anywhere. I don't feel safe for my brothers anywhere. I don't feel safe for my future children everywhere. I'm just torn up inside, and I can not rationalize this situation. I spent the entire afternoon just sleeping because I didn't want to see the news feed, and that's not a good behavior either. I want to do something so badly. I want people to wake up, I don't want to see another day like this ever again and instead they just seem to keep coming.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
mobvok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: boom clap
Posts: 4,428
Local Time: 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
I believe it needs to be easier to mandate some sort of treatment for those who are mentally ill. As it is, you can only hospitalize a person for 72 hours if they are proven to be a threat to themselves or others. And that is an emergent threat.
What has led you to this belief?
__________________
mobvok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm going to not come in here and post about gun laws. I'm just too sad and broken up inside. My entire life, I wanted to teach. Specifically, I wanted to teach in elementary schools, even though my passion was in History. The reason was because I knew I would feel safer in an elementary school. The hell of the thing now is I don't feel safe anywhere. I don't feel safe for my brothers anywhere. I don't feel safe for my future children everywhere. I'm just torn up inside, and I can not rationalize this situation. I spent the entire afternoon just sleeping because I didn't want to see the news feed, and that's not a good behavior either. I want to do something so badly. I want people to wake up, I don't want to see another day like this ever again and instead they just seem to keep coming.
From another who is profoundly sad and feels helpless, here is an internet hug, because it's all I can even do as a non-American.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #68
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 08:07 PM
So, what would the estimated cost of metal detectors be if distributed to schools across the country? I'm guessing far into the billions and I have no idea who would pay for that, but at least we wouldn't be throwing guns at more guns to solve gun crime.

On top of that, make attaining and retaining a gun license more difficult than a driver's license, for once. By the time I got my driver's license, I had respect for the vehicle and drove that way. If only people treated guns like that.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
What has led you to this belief?
I believe she meant involuntary committal.
__________________
indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,255
Local Time: 10:07 PM
Ehhhh, not big on the metal detectors thing. I have an issue with the idea of making our schools look more like prisons. Plus, in the Jonesboro school shooting (how sad is it that I have to differentiate the shootings like that?), the kids pulled the fire alarm and brought everyone outside and started shooting away there.

Definitely agreed on the license thing, though, absolutely.

Kids shouldn't be leaving home with guns to begin with, but in that case, that would take attentive parents and kids growing up in homes where there weren't guns adorning the walls or in the sheds in the backyard. My mom just saw a story on TV a while back where parents were taking their little kids out to the hunting range for their birthday. Anyone else find it extremely fucked up that we refuse to let 18 year olds drink a beer but a little kid can hold a gun and there are people who DON'T see a problem with that or think it should be illegal?

Also, I wholeheartedly echo every last word of Ashley's post . And yes, PhilsFan, please, dear god, take care of yourself.

Someone on another board I go to mentioned writing your senators and representatives, so I did that, and wrote to Obama, too. It's worth a try. Plead with them, beg, yell, just do something to try and help. We can't go through this anymore, we just can't. I'd like to think everyone on both sides could at least agree on that?
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
So, what would the estimated cost of metal detectors be if distributed to schools across the country? I'm guessing far into the billions and I have no idea who would pay for that, but at least we wouldn't be throwing guns at more guns to solve gun crime.

On top of that, make attaining and retaining a gun license more difficult than a driver's license, for once. By the time I got my driver's license, I had respect for the vehicle and drove that way. If only people treated guns like that.
The answers are to destigmatize mental healthcare, make it available to those who need it, and to control regulation of firearms. However, in a country like yours where gun ownership is perceived by many to be a fundamental right, it could take generations, sadly.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 3,825
Local Time: 12:07 AM
He made a choice. Stop using mental illness as an excuse. Jesus Christ.
__________________
Steved1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 3,825
Local Time: 12:07 AM
If those teachers were armed this wouldn't have happened, so fire arm control wouldn't do anything.
__________________
Steved1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #74
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,005
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
If those teachers were armed this wouldn't have happened, so fire arm control wouldn't do anything.
This is a very poorly written and timed joke or parody, right? Right?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 3,825
Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

This is a very poorly written and timed joke or parody, right? Right?
People are calling for gun control, but that's not the answer. It's like MAD. More guns act as a deterrent.
__________________

__________________
Steved1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com