Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #571
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Is that just because of the mechanics though? I assume you don't have to cock the hammer every time on most
Exactly. Even though on most revolvers you don't HAVE to cock the hammer, they still aren't classified as semi-autos.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #572
Babyface

Local Time: 02:43 AM
We have the right to own fire arms of all sorts for multiple reasons.

One: self-defense. I would like a semi-automatic rifle/pistol with its designed magazine in case I miss, or there are multiple intruders.
Militaristic features ? Give me a break. The gun was made by the military for the military; anything on it could earn this label. In some places, police do not have a good response time, and if you have a family I think you would like to have EVERY advantage you could have to protect yourself and your loved ones.

It's not the weapons, it's our society. Violence is a more common thing with the media giving it a "normal" feeling. Also the destruction of families has put people under more stress and problems than ever.

How to fix the problem of people stealing or misusing a fire arm is surprising. It's not to create laws, but to talk to your neighbors, family, and friends. Know how everyone is doing and be involved. Also i think implementing background checks and making it harder to own a firearm are fine things to do, but don't outlaw them.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #573
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
But a semi handgun and a semi rifle are two completely different guns when it comes to range, hence the war reference. .
The Virginia Tech massacre was the most deadly shooting of its kind. The shooter used two semi-automatic pistols.
Quote:
It's illegal to hunt in the dark in most parts of the U.S., at least any animal you would use a rifle for, and if you need a flask suppressor to hunt for coyote then you need to be a better hunter.
Is it illegal to defend yourself in the dark? If your house is broken into, and you're defending your family in the dark, it seems helpful to avoid being blinded by the your gun flash
Quote:
How was the last assault weapons ban viewed as a failure?
It is widely held opinion that the '94 assault weapons ban did nearly nothing to curb gun violence; hence, it was not renewed in 2004.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #574
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighties View Post
Violence is a more common thing
no it's not

Welcome to the forum
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #575
War Child

Video games, music, movies --- it's blatantly obvious that these mediums are, by and large, much more violent than they were 20 years ago.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #576
Blue Crack Addict

The Sandy Hook elementary children's chorus will be singing "America The Beautiful" at the Super Bowl on Sunday.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #577
Babyface

Quote:
no it's not

Welcome to the forum
lol thanks, and I mean the way it's betrayed in movies and video games. Seeing violence is more graphic and common then ever. Yet bad words in songs are cut out >.>
Old 01-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #578
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
Video games, music, movies --- it's blatantly obvious that these mediums are, by and large, much more violent than they were 20 years ago.
But it doesn't translate to more violent crime, so who cares?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #579
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Seeing violence is more graphic and common then ever. Yet bad words in songs are cut out >.>
Well, I would agree to this point. It's ridiculous. You an add sexuality to that list too
Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #580
War Child

Quote:
The results of this study revealed that early childhood exposure to TV violence predicted aggressive behavior for both males and females in adulthood. Additionally, identification with same sex aggressive TV characters, as well as participants’ ratings of perceived realism of TV violence, also predicted adult aggression in both males and females. Furthermore, while a positive relationship was found between early aggression and subsequent TV violence viewing, the effect was not significant. These findings suggest that, while aggressive children may choose to watch more violent TV programming, it is more plausible that early childhood exposure to TV violence stimulates increases in aggression later in adulthood.
Early Exposure to TV Violence Predicts Aggression in Adulthood
Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #581
ONE
love, blood, life

I could find you a study that says the exact opposite. When you look at the overall picture, if we agree that violence in movies and videogames has increased, violent crime has decreased in the same time period, so that correlation holds little water.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #582
Babyface

Quote:
Well, I would agree to this point. It's ridiculous. You an add sexuality to that list too
yeah defiantly, young women and men are ridiculous sexually that is. anyways it does translate in a way. Violent media does do something though. It introduces a thought into ones mind, gives one ideas, and makes it seem easy.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #583
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
yeah defiantly, young women and men are ridiculous sexually that is. anyways it does translate in a way. Violent media does do something though. It introduces a thought into ones mind, gives one ideas, and makes it seem easy.
I don't think you're giving people enough credit. The violent crime stats are there. Society is less violent than it was 30 years ago.
People don't watch too many movies and go out to kill people. If there's already a predisposition to violence, it will be expressed one way or another
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #584
Babyface

Quote:
Society is less violent than it was 30 years ago.
If there's already a predisposition to violence, it will be expressed one way or another
Now back to firearms, doesn't this only back Caleb and I's point of view ? granted I did some minor editing
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #585
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think movies and TV shows are more violent and sexually explicit these days not because it is a reflection of our society, but because Hollywood wants to push the envelope and shock the audiences.