Mass Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He actually says "we don't have any background checks on the First Amendment". :huh:

I'm all for listening to all sides of an argument but I'm pretty sure the pro-gun dude in that video might be mentally ill.

I implicitly referred to this site in the Boston bombings discussion, but the link is more appropriate here:
Gun-death tally: Every American gun death since Newtown Sandy Hook shooting (INTERACTIVE). - Slate Magazine

As of now (though I'm not sure if the page hasn't been updated for the past three days or if there really were no gun deaths) there are 3,530 gun deaths since December 14 (the Newton shooting), including 63 children.
But yeah, those are 'isolated cases', so probably not important enough to do something about it... :sigh:

There's a huge billboard not far from the bombing site, don't know how many years it's been there. One that keeps track of handgun deaths ( I think now it might be number of children, not sure. It's near Fenway and I haven't been there since last year), it was updated to include Sandy Hook. MA has some of the strictest gun regulations and laws. So I don't really understand the whole comparison of sorts. That somehow if you care about this marathon bombing you don't care or care enough about handgun deaths. I was just as disgusted about the failure of simple background check changes as I was about these bombings, and I live where they happened. But frankly it's a different kind of disgusted, because I completely expected that failure. I have voted based on that, have sent e-mails, have signed up on the Brady campaign web site. I was disgusted by the fact that gun control and gun violence came up ONCE in the election campaign debates. The President I voted for never did anything about it that I know of until after Sandy Hook. So I'm disgusted by that too.

The tragic fact is that we have politicians who are putting their political careers above the people they are supposed to be representing, and in some cases they ARE reflecting the beliefs of those people. So I don't know what we are expected to do about that, because we live in a country with a "representative" government. We aren't a monolith where I can control what's going on in other states. I've done everything I can, and I do care about handgun violence and death every bit as much as I care about terrorism. I grew up around guns but I've never shot them and I don't want to.

I care about bombings everywhere too, not just in the US. I hate war, any war, all kinds of war. Was completely against the war in Iraq. What the media focuses on is far beyond my control. I'm hardly alone in that, or in caring about handgun violence as much as all of this. I am disgusted by the lack of action, and wonder how many people have to die by handgun before something ever gets done. As long as politicians are in control of that, it will be NEVER. That is the disgusting completely warped reality that we live with. That was can't even have basic common sense gun laws and regulations.

Nothing will ever get done. This is just what America is, a great country, but also unecessarily violent and dangerous too.

Because your government is populated by a bunch of slimy fucking rats.
Money is too closely tied to your politics. That's what it distills down to

Agree. Money influences our government. How do you get it out though?

You can say reform but when your politicians are bought out....

no there isn't

Press >>> Play

Father of mine
Tell me where have you been
You know I just closed my eyes
My whole world disappeared
Father of mine
Take me back to the day
Yeah when I was still your golden boy
Back before you went away

I remember blue skies
Walking the block
I loved it when you held me high
I loved TO HEAR YOU TALK
You would take me to the movie
You would take me to the beach
You would take me to a place inside
That's so hard to reach

Oh

Father of mine
Tell me where did you go
Yeah you had the world inside your hand
But you did not seem to know
Father of mine
Tell me what do you see
When you look back at your wasted life
And you don't see me

I was ten years old
Doing all that I could
It wasn't easy for me
To be a scared white boy
In a black neighborhood
Sometimes you would send me a birthday card
With a five dollar bill
I never understood you then
And I guess I never will

Daddy gave me a name
My daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
Daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
My daddy he gave me a name

Oh yeah
Oh yeah

Daddy gave me a name
Daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
Daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
My daddy gave me a name

Yeah
Yeah
Oh yeah

Father of mine
Tell me where have you been
Yea I just closed my eyes
And the world disappeared
Father of mine
Tell me how do you sleep
With the children you abandoned
And the wife I saw you beat

I will never be safe
I will never be sane
I will always be weird inside
I will always be lame
Now that I"m a grown man
With a child of my own
And I swear I'll never let her know
All the pain I have known

Then he walked away
Daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
My daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
My daddy gave me a name
Then he walked away
My daddy gave me a name

Then he walked away (yeah)
Then he walked away (yeah)
Then he walked away (oh yeah)

~Everclear

Press > > > play.

Dum, dum, dum, honey what have you done?
Dum, dum, dum it's the sound of my gun.
Dum, dum, dum, honey what have you done?
Dum, dum, dum it's the sound

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her whole world's come undone
From lookin' straight at the sun
What did her daddy do?
What did he put you through?
They said when Janie was arrested
they found him underneath a train
But man, he had it comin' Now that Janie's got a gun
she ain't never gonna be the same.

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
Now everybody is on the run
Tell me now it's untrue.
What did her daddy do?
He jacked a little bitty baby
The man has got to be insane
They say the spell that he was under the lightning and the
thunder knew that someone had to stop the rain

Run away, run away from the pain yeah, yeah yeah yeah
Run away run away from the pain yeah yeah
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Run away, run away, run, run away

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
What did her daddy do?
It's Janie's last I.O.U.
She had to take him down easy and put a bullet in his brain
She said 'cause nobody believes me. The man was such a sleeze.
He ain't never gonna be the same.

Run away, run away from the pain yeah, yeah
yeah yeah yeah
Run away run away from the pain yeah yeah
yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Run away, run away, run, run away

Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Everybody is on the run

Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
Because Janie's got a gun
Janie's got a gun
Her dog day's just begun
Janie's got a gun

Press > Play

At home
Drawing pictures
Of mountain tops
With him on top
Lemon yellow sun
Arms raised in a V
Dead lay in pools of maroon below

Daddy didn't give attention
To the fact that mommy didn't care
King Jeremy the wicked
Ruled his world

Jeremy spoke in class today

Clearly I remember
Pickin' on the boy
Seemed a harmless little fuck
But we unleashed a lion
Gnashed his teeth
And bit the recess lady's breast

How could I forget
He hit me with a surprise left
My jaw left hurting
Dropped wide open
Just like the day
Like the day I heard

Daddy didn't give affection
And the boy was something that mommy wouldn't wear
King Jeremy the wicked
Ruled his world

Try to forget this...
Try to erase this...
From the blackboard.

~Pearl Jam

Press > Play

Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop *POP*(2x)

Call my baby Lollipop
Tell you why
'Cause he's sweeter than an apple pie
And when he does his shaky rockin' dance
Man I haven't got a chance
I call him

Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop *POP*

Sweeter than candy on a stick
Huckleberry, cherry, or lime
If you have a choice he'd be your pick
But Lollipop is mine...

Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop *POP*

Crazy way he thrills-a me
Tell you why
Just like a lightning from the sky
He loves to kiss me
'Till I can't see straight
GEE, my Lollipop is great!
I call him...

Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop *POP*

Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop Lollipop
Oh Lolli Lolli Lolli
Lollipop oh Lollipop

Jeremy. Out of their entire catalogue, it's probably the Pearl Jam song that has aged the worst for me.

I still love all of Ten, to tell the truth, Black probably being my favorite.

Here's my snippet. Press > Play

A hand in the pocket
Fingering the steel
The pistol weighed heavy
His heart he could feel was beating, beating
Beating, beating, beating
Oh my love, oh my love,
Oh my love, oh my love.

Count me in on liking that song too.

Black is amazing. I used to get teary-eyed when I first got my iPod and played that song constantly.

Never been a huge fan of black, and then that douche from staind had to go and destroy whatever I did like about it. Jeremy is still good, though. I admit I'm always going to have a soft spot for that everclear song, now you can all add it to the barenaked ladies and use that against me.

Anyway..

More backlash against Senators on gun vote - Public Policy Polling

New PPP polls in Alaska, Arizona, Nevada, and Ohio find serious backlash against the 5 Senators who voted against background checks in those states. Each of them has seen their approval numbers decline, and voters say they're less likely to support them the next time they're up for reelection. That's no surprise given that we continue to find overwhelming, bipartisan support for background checks in these states.

Here's the state by state rundown:

-After just 3 months in office Jeff Flake has already become one of the most unpopular Senators in the country. Just 32% of voters approve of him to 51% who disapprove and that -19 net approval rating makes him the most unpopular sitting Senator we've polled on, taking that label from Mitch McConnell.

70% of Arizona voters support background checks to only 26% who are opposed to them. That includes 92/6 favor from Democrats, 71/24 from independents, and 50/44 from Republicans. 52% of voters say they're less likely to support Flake in a future election because of this vote, compared to only 19% who say they're more likely to. Additionally voters say by a 21 point margin, 45/24, that they trust senior colleague John McCain more than Flake when it comes to gun issues.

-When we polled Alaska in February Lisa Murkowski was one of the most popular Senators in the country with a 54% approval rating and only 33% of voters disapproving of her. She's seen a precipitous decline in the wake of her background checks vote though. Her approval is down a net 16 points from that +21 standing to +5 with 46% of voters approving and 41% now disapproving of her. Murkowski has lost most of her appeal to Democrats in the wake of her vote, with her numbers with them going from 59/25 to 44/44. And the vote hasn't increased her credibility with Republican either- she was at 51/38 with them in February and she's at 50/39 now.

Mark Begich is down following his no vote as well. He was at 49/39 in February and now he's at 41/37. His popularity has declined with Democrats (from 76/17 to 59/24) and with independents (from 54/32 to 43/35), and there has been no corresponding improvement with Republicans. He had a 24% approval rating with them two months ago and he has a 24% approval rating with them now.

60% of Alaska voters support background checks to just 35% opposed, including a 62/33 spread with independents. 39% of voters say they're less likely to vote for each of Begich and Murkowski in their next elections based on this vote, while only 22% and 26% say they're more likely to vote for Begich and Murkowski respectively because of this.
-We saw serious improvement in Rob Portman's poll numbers in the second half of 2012 following his consideration as the Republican Vice Presidential candidate, but he's taken a nose dive in 2013. Portman's approval has dropped a net 18 points over the last 6 months from +10 (35/25) in October to now -8 (26/34) in April. Portman's popularity decline has come across the board with Democrats (from 15/39 to 8/50), Republicans (62/11 to 46/19), and independents (28/23 to 24/32) alike.

72% of Ohio voters support background checks, including 87% of Democrats, 73% of independents, and 56% of Republicans. 36% of voters in the state say they're less likely to support Portman in a future election because of this vote to only 19% who consider it to be a reason to support him.

-And in Nevada Dean Heller has seen a more modest decline in his approval numbers, from 47/42 right before the election to 44/41 now. However with the independent voters who were critical to his narrow victory in November, his approval has dropped from 52/37 then to now 42/42.

70% of voters in the state support background checks compared to just 24% who are opposed to them. That includes 87% of Democrats, 65% of independents, and 54% of Republicans. 46% say they're less likely to support Heller the next time he's up for reelection compared to only 25% who are more likely to because of this vote, and as we saw last fall Heller has very little margin for error.

Taken together these results make it pretty clear that this issue could be a serious liability for the Senators who opposed overwhelmingly popular background checks in the Senate vote earlier this month.

Back
Top Bottom