Mass Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also agree with other states and school districts who agree in allowing
teachers and other staff members to carry concealed weapons.

But what if a deranged student gets a hold of that gun? Obviously, it wouldn't be locked away in a hidden safe in case of a shooting rampage; it will be kept in an easier spot.

I also agree with other states and school districts who agree in allowing
teachers and other staff members to carry concealed weapons.

This isn't really a well thought out idea. A conceal handgun permit class doesn't really train or prepare a person to fight off an attacker under pressure and shooting over crowds of young people. Research shows in fact that most conceal carriers who have only had the permit class and nothing else often panic and would end up shooting bystanders.

So no thank you. Especially given that some states you can get a permit over the Internet.

But what if a deranged student gets a hold of that gun? Obviously, it wouldn't be locked away in a hidden safe in case of a shooting rampage; it will be kept in an easier spot.

I also just keep thinking about the stories that pop up every so often involving teachers and students having affairs. God forbid one of those relationships turns volatile and ends on a nasty note...

Yeah, I'm not at all comfortable with the idea of anyone, be it a teacher, student, guard, whatever, walking around a school with a gun. Guns have absolutely NO place on school campuses for any reason whatsoever, and schools should not be looking more and more like prisons.

Because SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS! And stuff!

We really do have an insane love for guns in this country. I've mentioned before that at work in our magazine area there is an entire section devoted to nothing but gun-related magazines. Hunting, home protection (a current magazine of that sort has a cover story that says, "Fortify your home". I am not kidding), gun collecting, military-style weaponry...you name it, there's a magazine for it. I absolutely HATE shelving magazines in that section if I'm working there on a Friday (the day our magazine shipment comes in), it never fails to creep me the hell out each time. And I'm wary when people come up to the counter to buy those kinds of magazines, too.

Anywho, as for this new story...I'm glad that nobody was killed and the wounds are treatable, but ahhhhhhhh, I will always LOVE me a story that is dripping with irony. You would think and hope that witnessing stuff like that or being a victim of stuff like that would finally wake people up and make them realize just how batshit insane this whole thing is, but somehow, I doubt it.

There were at least five people shot accidentally at three different gun shows today. On Gun Appreciation Day, no less.

You can't make this stuff up.

4 injured after firearms go off at N.C., Indiana gun shows - CNN.com

This story sums up why we're having these discussions. For the last month I have seen and heard some of the most ignorant and inane comments regarding gun control discussions. They just don't seem to get it.

Gun shows are full of law abiding gun owners according to the NRA. YET they're bringing loaded guns to the show, they can't seem to control them, and they panic when they hear gunshots.

So we're supposed to believe that you responsibly store your guns around your kids? We're having guns accidentally going off in "experts" hands and you want them in teachers purses at school?

Trained gun owners at a gun show hear gun shots and panic, and we're supposed to believe that you're going to be able to respond in a calm responsible manner if a shooting breaks out in a school?

I hear some of the NRA types arguments and they sound like they aren't thought out, almost as if they are so emotionally attached to the gun that are incapable of reasonable thought.

Last night I saw a handful of people on facebook post almost the same exact line(so I assumed some talk show host said it and they just echoed it or something like that), but the argument was "we don't blame cars for drunk driving, so why blame guns for violent people?"

So all you 'guns don't need any control' people, let's look at how idiotic these kinds of "arguments" are shall we? Cars, drinking, and driving while intoxicated are ALL regulated. We're just asking for regulation. No one is blaming guns. So stop. That argument makes no sense. We are blaming the access to guns, we are blaming gun culture, we are asking what you need a 30 round clip for... Your obsession with guns is blinding you from common sense measures.

Yeah, I was scratching my head throughout that whole article, too.

I'm just beyond sick of the comparisons to cars (or knives, or bats, as my mom heard someone say recently) because, as has been noted over and over and over and over and over again, they have non-violent purposes. A car's main purpose is to transport us places. Knives can be used to cut food. Bats can be used to hit a ball with. Yes, people have used all three for murderous reasons, but THAT IS NOT WHAT THEY WERE INVENTED FOR.

A gun has ONE purpose, ONE thing it was invented to do: To injure/kill an animal or a person. Even if it's in self-defense and totally justifiable, you're still endangering someone's life or taking it away for good. That is ALL a gun is there for. So the regulations involving them are, by that very logic, going to be a little bit different from how we regulate the other compared objects.

This is, honest to God, NOT that freaking hard a situation to figure out. I do not understand why people are digging in their heels so much on this issue. Twenty young children died last month in one fell swoop in the most horrific, senseless way imaginable and that is still not enough for this country at large to demand change? That fact is honestly what frightens me the most about this whole debate, because I don't even want to imagine what that means it will take to smack some sense into people.

:applaud:
Yeah, I was scratching my head throughout that whole article, too.

I'm just beyond sick of the comparisons to cars (or knives, or bats, as my mom heard someone say recently) because, as has been noted over and over and over and over and over again, they have non-violent purposes. A car's main purpose is to transport us places. Knives can be used to cut food. Bats can be used to hit a ball with. Yes, people have used all three for murderous reasons, but THAT IS NOT WHAT THEY WERE INVENTED FOR.

A gun has ONE purpose, ONE thing it was invented to do: To injure/kill an animal or a person. Even if it's in self-defense and totally justifiable, you're still endangering someone's life or taking it away for good. That is ALL a gun is there for. So the regulations involving them are, by that very logic, going to be a little bit different from how we regulate the other compared objects.

This is, honest to God, NOT that freaking hard a situation to figure out. I do not understand why people are digging in their heels so much on this issue. Twenty young children died last month in one fell swoop in the most horrific, senseless way imaginable and that is still not enough for this country at large to demand change? That fact is honestly what frightens me the most about this whole debate, because I don't even want to imagine what that means it will take to smack some sense into people.

Last night I saw a handful of people on facebook post almost the same exact line(so I assumed some talk show host said it and they just echoed it or something like that), but the argument was "we don't blame cars for drunk driving, so why blame guns for violent people?"

So all you 'guns don't need any control' people, let's look at how idiotic these kinds of "arguments" are shall we? Cars, drinking, and driving while intoxicated are ALL regulated. We're just asking for regulation. No one is blaming guns. So stop. That argument makes no sense. We are blaming the access to guns, we are blaming gun culture, we are asking what you need a 30 round clip for... Your obsession with guns is blinding you from common sense measures.

It is a stupid comparison because we regulate the hell out of cars. There are safety and emission controls. Also, you can't take an F1 car for a spin on the road because it isn't street legal. All we are trying to do is make things safer for our citizens.

I think the shadowy government agency responsible for all these 'shootings' is over doing it

Sure, but I've always viewed a constitution as a living, breathing document rather than something that's set in stone.

There are 27 amendments to the U.S. constitution which means that changes are, theoretically, possible.

Sure, but I've always viewed a constitution as a living, breathing document rather than something that's set in stone.

There are 27 amendments to the U.S. constitution which means that changes are, theoretically, possible.

And hey, the right to bear arms is an amendment, so it was not part of the original constitution.

Eh, I don't even think you can call him provocative. I mean opening with a Karl Marx reference is predictable these days, it's the status quo.

The government, for example, has determined that black people (somehow) have fewer abilities than white people, and, so, must be given certain preferences.

Um...no?

And yeah, this communism babble left me rolling my eyes as well.

I just have a few questions for all the people who keep insisting we need to put armed guards in schools: How are we going to pay for them? Obvious answer would be through taxes, but whose? And would that mean we'd have to cut something else to fund this?

And does this mean we'll need to add wings to the schools where all the guards' weapons will be stored (and hopefully locked up tight)? And what happens if a kid stumbles upon or breaks into that area of the school sometime?

I have a very strong feeling that everyone who advocates for armed guards/teachers wandering around schools has not really thought this idea through.

Back
Top Bottom