Mars - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:30 AM
It is rather shortsighted, but I suppose one ought be careful what one wishes for. It may be that short-termism has myriad causes. It may be that longrange unity of purpose goes hand in hand with some form of dictatorship. Oh, maybe that's overstating it, maybe a closer description would be the sort of conditions that pertain in a sort of semi-democratic meritocracy. Basically any social arrangement where the 'best and brightest' have few curbs on their actions. There are obvious downsides to such a society.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Makes you think, eh. A Kim-Stanley-Robinson style human terraforming of Mars would obviously take significantly longer than (for understandable dramatic license) those novels of his depicted.

It would probably have to be almost entirely automated, if ever it were attempted. The indications to me are that present human societies, at least in the west, are probably less able/inclined to sustain a coherent purpose across multiple lifetimes than some of our ancestors. Despite the organisational/technical resources at our disposal. The idea is just nuts on the face of it... yet Mars sits there in the sky and it ain't going anywhere.
I've never read the KSR Mars series, but I imagine I'd really like it. I'm not sure what kind of timeframes are presented in there, but everything you've said below that is pretty much the unfortunate truth.

After I read what you wrote I thought about it and the reality is that the world revolves around this whole concept of 'money'. In the grand scheme of this discussion, it's such a petty, insignificant thing. The fact is we do have the technology even TODAY to attempt something like this. But the reality is that this is something we may NEVER attempt, unless there really ends up being some cost effective, business interest in doing so.

Or... ya know... if us humans outgrow the earth. That too.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Red/Green/Blue Mars novels have the terraforming of Mars occuring over about two centuries (with some of the protagonists lasting the duration courtesy of life-extension treatment; so yes, a very optimistic, albeit heavily-researched, take).

I'd imagine it would be wrong to assume that all societies at all times will be guided by early 21st century priorities. So you never know!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

While terraforming is an extreme case, I think it's selfish not to continue exploring space and pushing the boundaries. Our generation is reaping the benefits of previous ones sacrifices (going back way before space was a possibility). We have a responsibility to future generations to keep the progress moving. It's an issue bigger than the priorities of the time
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Of course terraforming is an extreme case, and I wholeheartedly agree with what you said.

You know, as much as I would've never voted for a guy like Newt Gingrich because most of his campaign was a joke, it did piss me off that people couldn't take his space exploration plan seriously.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
While terraforming is an extreme case, I think it's selfish not to continue exploring space and pushing the boundaries. Our generation is reaping the benefits of previous ones sacrifices (going back way before space was a possibility). We have a responsibility to future generations to keep the progress moving. It's an issue bigger than the priorities of the time
I think the spin off benefits of space exploration are over estimated. I like Tang and Velcro, but I think an orange flavored drink and shoe lace replacements for grandpa were not worth the expense.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

When you expect simply a material result, you will be disappointed.

Well, that is unless you start to consider space mining.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

not practical at all

people seem to think space is just the next frontier,
like habitable places on this planet that were not occupied

it would make more sense to try and live on the surface of this planet that are covered with water
Old 04-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I think the spin off benefits of space exploration are over estimated. I like Tang and Velcro, but I think an orange flavored drink and shoe lace replacements for grandpa were not worth the expense.
Oh, I'm pretty sure you could rattle off a few more relevant examples if you tried
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Here's a bit of a list.

NASA spin-off technologies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I used to have more enthusiasm for it. But I think I was influenced by all the sci-fi stuff I like. Lately, I have been asking myself, what is the point? Once humans leave this aquarium we live in called the earth's atmosphere, we would be like a fish living on land in a wet-suit filled with water. Why would a fish want to live like that? when it could live in the ocean in a care free life.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm also pretty sure the expense is relatively insignificant. Put it this way, if NASA and its international brethren were shut down tomorrow, there wouldn't be any more bridges or wells getting built. There probably wouldn't even be a tax cut.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #28
Refugee

Isn't Dennis Tito planning on sending two people on a "flyby" of Mars in 2018? Assuming they don't die en route, they would be the first humans to look upon another planet with their own eyes. That would be a pretty momentous moment for our species. The robotic explorers are doing sterling work out there no doubt, but I hope their success doesn't contribute to human missions being placed on the backburner indefinitely.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #29
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Nice! So weird that as I see this topic, I'm writing my thesis proposal. On terraforming Mars
Hopefully the threat of DOOM happening for real was listed as a potential "negative".
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #30
45:33

Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post

Hopefully the threat of DOOM happening for real was listed as a potential "negative".
Must...resist...Madvillain joke...