Old 03-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:00 PM
wink

Old 03-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:00 AM
so ... i've got to go be all gay and get to spinning class, but just one question as it relates to marriage, and is applicable to gay and straight alike: is monogamy the same thing as fidelity?

discuss.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #48
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977

I think I've done a pretty good job of summing up my thoughts on the subject of monogamy and its place in society, as well as the issues I've raised -- and in a constructive manner.
Yes you've done a great job explaining your thoughts on the subject of monogamy, but you've completely ignored what this means to this conversation.

Obviously both heterosexuals and homosexuals can be monogamous, but why do only heterosexuals deserve the rights of marriage for making that commitment? That you've completely ignored.

Quote:

But I guess, as with my ultra-Right friends who can't fathom that I'd even consider gay marriage as a legit option, there are people on the far Left who think I'm an idiot too. Happy to oblige, BVS, happy to oblige.
Little defensive eh ? I'm just pointing out that you really seem to be talking around the subject. I think at least your ultra-Right friends are honest with their stance on the subject.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #49
She's the One

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:

See my earlier question of uncertainty as to whether marriage is a legal right.
Why is this usually brought up when gay rights is under discussion?

It seems that rather than extend the right, many people prefer to talk about the legitimacy of marriage itself. Some here have even proposed doing away with marriage altogether rather than let the gays get married.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Obviously both heterosexuals and homosexuals can be monogamous, but why do only heterosexuals deserve the rights of marriage for making that commitment? That you've completely ignored.

No, I haven't. I've pointed out that civil unions don't exactly encourage it, which is why I said gay marriage would be good, in that would encourage such monogamy.

Quote:
Little defensive eh ?
Little obnoxious eh? (Jumping into a conversation by screaming DOUBLE STANDARD!!! doesn't exactly kick things off on a good note. Nor does putting words in my mouth about wills.)
Old 03-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Why is this usually brought up when gay rights is under discussion?
I'd actually suggest the reverse -- that people who argue for gay rights bring up marriage. Equating marriage "rights" with gay rights is a question mark I have, nothing more or less. I've yet to see someone argue that marriage is a legal right.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #52
She's the One

Quote:
I've yet to see someone argue that marriage is a legal right.
See. This is what I'm talking about. Let's discuss the legitimacy of marriage rather than the separate but equal system we're under now. That'll make me seem hip without addressing the issue.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

See. This is what I'm talking about. Let's discuss the legitimacy of marriage rather than the separate but equal system we're under now. That'll make me seem hip without addressing the issue.
If I wanted to "stay hip," I would stay out of FYM.

Separate but equal had to do with rights to access to schools and resources and education.

Separate but equal does not yet apply to marriage because no one has yet proved that marriage is a RIGHT that should be accessible to all.

And since we're in the middle of conversations about redefining family, redefining cultural perceptions of sexuality, yes, we are indeed talking about redefining marriage. Which is an entirely legitimate conversation.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:00 AM
Quote:
And since we're in the middle of conversations about redefining family, redefining cultural perceptions of sexuality, yes, we are indeed talking about redefining marriage. Which is an entirely legitimate conversation.
Yes, I think that's probably true. One of the advantages of the marital contract historically in most societies would be that it was seen as a means of bringing up kids in a stable environment. (Most of us, for example, will have heard of cases of married couples who are not getting on but opt to stay together 'for the sake of the kids'.) Clearly, with gay couples, this does not necessarily arise.

So it is quite a significant development that is being proposed.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #55
She's the One

Quote:

Separate but equal does not yet apply to marriage because no one has yet proved that marriage is a RIGHT that should be accessible to all.
So do we get rid of it altogether rather than let the gays get married? Why do you get to do it and not Irvine?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #56
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

So it is quite a significant development that is being proposed.
Not especially. I got married with absolutely no intention of ever having children. And I made sure of that medically soon after my wedding. Where do I fit in?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Little defensive eh ? I'm just pointing out that you really seem to be talking around the subject. I think at least your ultra-Right friends are honest with their stance on the subject.
You're never prepared to give any conservative argument the benefit of the doubt, are you?

Conservatives' motives are ALWAYS suspect, aren't they, because, hey, they're probably only making up arguments to hide their deep-seated homophobia and hatred of all things good, liberal, progressive and true.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Not especially. I got married with absolutely no intention of ever having children. And I made sure of that medically soon after my wedding. Where do I fit in?
Well, of course there are indeed plenty of heterosexual couples who get married without intending to have kids. After they get married, some change their minds and do decide to have kids. Others never have kids, for various reasons.

I'd suggest, however, that the majority of heterosexual couples who never have kids - probably the vast majority - did in fact want to have kids, but found that they couldn't conceive.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

No, I haven't. I've pointed out that civil unions don't exactly encourage it, which is why I said gay marriage would be good, in that would encourage such monogamy.
BUT, then you further went on to say "don't seem to need the "M" status to define their relationship", and this is where I have the problem. There are many hetero couples who choose not to have "M" define their relationship either, but at least they have the choice. You don't seem to be willing to give anyone else that choice, unless they have "the greater conversation". Which you've failed to define.

Until you define that, we're just running in circles.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Well, of course there are indeed plenty of heterosexual couples who get married without intending to have kids. After they get married, some change their minds and do decide to have kids. Others never have kids, for various reasons.

I'd suggest, however, that the majority of heterosexual couples who never have kids - probably the vast majority - did in fact want to have kids, but found that they couldn't conceive.
But this doesn't matter one bit. It doesn't matter in the biblical definition and it doesn't matter in a legal definition.