Marijuana in Your Brain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had the opportunity to sample some medicinal pot, from California - for pain, as I have rheumatoid arthritis. I was astounded. It loosened my stiff joints and motivated me to move and really did away with the pain the way no opioid ever has. I didn't have that foggy doped up feeling and pondered for sometime just how the hell I was going to get to Ca. to get some more. Having been in pain everyday for years now, I cannot find any downside to this with the exception of drug testing for employment. I was thrilled to read last week that there is a bill before the Alabama legislators to legalize medical mj for seizures, ptsd, traumatic brain injuries and other ailments. I really never thought I would see this in Al. but they are considering it.
I also had the chance to try some pot from a friend who came through Co in Jan. It was totally different. Although it was a nice buzz it was not that beneficial for the aches and pains. I hope they approve it state wide soon. I'm more interested in the pain control and not so much the buzz. That's just a nice little side effect. :wink:

I had the opportunity to sample some medicinal pot, from California - for pain, as I have rheumatoid arthritis. I was astounded. It loosened my stiff joints and motivated me to move and really did away with the pain the way no opioid ever has. I didn't have that foggy doped up feeling and pondered for sometime just how the hell I was going to get to Ca. to get some more. Having been in pain everyday for years now, I cannot find any downside to this with the exception of drug testing for employment. I was thrilled to read last week that there is a bill before the Alabama legislators to legalize medical mj for seizures, ptsd, traumatic brain injuries and other ailments. I really never thought I would see this in Al. but they are considering it.
I also had the chance to try some pot from a friend who came through Co in Jan. It was totally different. Although it was a nice buzz it was not that beneficial for the aches and pains. I hope they approve it state wide soon. I'm more interested in the pain control and not so much the buzz. That's just a nice little side effect. :wink:

:up:

very happy it's helping you.

I'm 18 and have suffered from Crohn's disease for more than a year. Marijuana helps relieve all the pain and actually heals the inflammation that's the underlying cause of the disease. Tomorrow I have an appointment with my doctor to ask for a medical marijuana card and I'm super nervous. I hate how there's a stigma attached to it, I'm just glad my parents are supportive...I really hope my doctor is too.

As for the whole potheads don't go driving and crash their cars, they do. Plenty of people crash their cars stoned. They're just generally not as catastrophic and potentially fatal as drunk driving accidents, cos honestly some dipshit causing a minor fender bender while happening to be stoned isn't half as newsworthy as a +100 mph head-on into a pole. But saying it doesn't impair judgement at all is pretty silly.

A couple years back, this girl that later turned out to have been stoned ran a stop sign and I crashed into her going about 50 MPH. Completely totaled my car and really fucked hers up as well. Thank God that didn't kill anyone. Weed does have a strong detrimental effect on driving skill because yeah, that car was crawling but she still tried to cross a highway without even looking first.

Anyway, I fully support marijuana legalization for the multitude of reasons listed in this thread, but just wanted to add my 2 cents on the driving issue. The people that choose to smoke should be held accountable just like those who drink, but adults should be allowed to make those decisions for themselves until they prove they are unable to do so.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone who supports the legalization of marijuana thinks it should be unregulated, despite some posts in this thread that may have in their phrasing minimized the negative effects. No one should be stoned and driving.

Oh no, not at all. It should be legalized and regulated like alcohol. Not under 18 and not while driving, operating heavy machinery and everything else that requries a fully functional brain.

Ritalin also makes non ADD people's brains hyperactive. :) Some brains are wired a little different than others, so it works in different ways.

Apparently the Dutch variety is a mix with more Sativa than Indica.

:uhoh: Vegan pizza? Poor you! I usually tend to crave salted microwave popcorn. Always have that in the house anyway. :lol:

And funny, your last sentence could be applied to regular smoking as well. :wink:

I didn't bother to find out what vegan pizza was, I walked up the street to McDonald's (which I normally hate, but nuggets best flax seed crust whatever bullshit).

Oh cigarette smoke is absolutely fucking gross. But I do like my nicotine. I would never smoke in the house, and while I do wish I could smoke in bars, I'd respect anyone who'd rather me not smoke around them (which is why when I go to my mom's for dinner or holidays, I don't even go outside to smoke a butt-I wait til the drive home. Part of me wishes I didn't smoke in the car, but it's done).

You used to be able to smoke around here in bars up till 2012. I am SO glad that's banned now. I am asthmatic so I can't stand to be around cigarette smoke, I could hardly go to a bar without wheezing.

Yes, I see the irony here but weed actually relaxes the lungs, which benefits me, as asthma is an infection that tenses up the lungs. Smoking pot makes me breathe more freely, better than any of my asthma medication does. :wink:

Bronchospasm is the word you're looking for, not infection.

I find it hard to believe smoking anything is going to be good for your lungs. Smoke is just simply an irritant, burning anything is going to deposit something unwanted in your lungs and risks some form of damage. I know there is no great body of evidence out there at the moment, i'll give that a decade or two, but there are plenty of other ways of getting cannabis into you i'd rather people used.

I tried it back in high school a few times but did not like it.
Unlike taking a few drinks it seemed to take over my mind
which I did not like.

I know a few people who have used it a long time but it seems
the results have been negative in their lives.

I'm against making it legal for recreational use. We have enough trouble already in society.

Jerry Brown spoke out against making it legal several years ago.
He still is: http://www.mercurynews.com/californ...or-jerry-brown-opposes-legalizing-pot-because

One of the arguments, however, is that prohibition creates more and bigger problems than it's legality would.

I find it hard to believe smoking anything is going to be good for your lungs. Smoke is just simply an irritant, burning anything is going to deposit something unwanted in your lungs and risks some form of damage. I know there is no great body of evidence out there at the moment, i'll give that a decade or two, but there are plenty of other ways of getting cannabis into you i'd rather people used.

I know it sounds very paradoxal, but from experience I can tell you that it works. Incredibly well at that. Better than all the asthma medication I've tried.

And no, eating it doesn't give the same effect. Since with smoking it gets directly to the lungs, it is far, far more effective than ingesting cannabis antohr way.

I'm against making it legal for recreational use. We have enough trouble already in society.

Why would one follow the other? There's plenty of recreational users that don't cause trouble.

There's plenty of alcohol users that do cause trouble. Should we ban alcohol as well then? And would that stop people from drinking it?

Sounds like saying abstinence is the best sex ed.

This is terribly illogical reasoning, you know. You're essentially saying, "I don't like it, and some people I know do and their lives aren't great, so let's not bother changing the status quo." As if the whole of humanity can be observed through your little web of friends and acquaintances.

I know it sounds very paradoxal, but from experience I can tell you that it works. Incredibly well at that. Better than all the asthma medication I've tried.

It may work well for you but medically it is very well documented that marijuana smoke is an irritant to lungs and that marijuana smokers suffer from many of the same ailments as tobacco smokers (though not lung cancer). Persistent coughs, phlegm, decreased immune function of the lungs, etc. That's not at all under dispute.

I'm not saying it should be banned - I have no issue with legalization as I've said. But it does have a negative effect on the lungs which is actually just plain old common sense.

I've always seen myself as fairly indifferent as to the legalization of it (though I strongly support de-criminalization at a minimum) and I think it has to do with the fact that I don't particularly see it as an important policy issue facing the society at large. It's sort of one of those things where I would not oppose legalization, but I certainly wouldn't devote any time or energy to getting it done since I put a very low priority on it in relation to the million other things that we could/should be focussing on politically.

I see the legalization and de-criminalization battles as being side-by-side, and with the tremendous resources wasted on the issue year in and and year out being a very legitimate issue with marijuana laws, I think supporting legalization is important.

I see the legalization and de-criminalization battles as being side-by-side, and with the tremendous resources wasted on the issue year in and and year out being a very legitimate issue with marijuana laws, I think supporting legalization is important.

But important to what extent? Passively supporting it or making it a major election issue? I guess I just don't see it as a particularly valuable means of expending one's political capital.

I had never heard that it had an effect on Rheumatoid arthritis... Is that common, or did it just happen to work in your case? I'm only 26 and have already been diagnosed with what will very soon be Rheumatoid arthritis and the medications for it are just killing me. I can either just take an extra strength ibuprofen, which kinda helps, or, I can take prednisone, which, of course makes me gain crazy amounts of weight... The real medications for arthritis, she's holding me off of, for now, because if I was on them and got pregnant, it WOULD cause birth defects.

Anyways, my point is, if Marijuana worked for arthritis even close to as well as prednisone, I would be all in.

This is terribly illogical reasoning, you know. You're essentially saying, "I don't like it, and some people I know do and their lives aren't great, so let's not bother changing the status quo." As if the whole of humanity can be observed through your little web of friends and acquaintances.

While not quite diplomatically put, the point is valid: You can't generalize people who wish to partake in marijuana. Not every person who enjoys it is an asshole, loser or unproductive member of society.

Most of the shit that is legal and/or prescribed by a doctor is far more destructive to an individual and a community than pot could ever be. (ie. booze and pills)

Back
Top Bottom