Manx teenagers are second worst binge drinkers in Europe - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Manx teenagers are second worst binge drinkers in Europe

Just behind Bulgaria, which was first.

I cant say I'm surprised, and it coincides nicely with the claim by a teacher that we had the highest chlamydia rate in Europe. Joy.

BBC NEWS | UK | Education | Teens put focus on alcohol prices

(If you dont know, Manx = From the Isle of Man, and the Isle of Man = Here)

Old 03-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Ireland only 5th?

Obviously, we need to try harder.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:47 PM
I didn't know GAF was Bulgarian...
Old 03-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Forum Moderator

Strange, the article says Bulgaria was worst but the text box says Denmark?

It's funny, back when I was in college and grad school (and perhaps this is still common, I don't know) it was common to hear disdainful lectures directed at young people about how European youth never 'binge drink,' only Americans do this, Europeans are sophisticated and mature in their attitudes towards alcohol and practice the fine art of slowly savoring a few drinks and good conversation over the course of an evening, etc. The first time I was in the UK in the mid-90s, I remember walking down a busy street somewhere in central London--it wasn't even all that late at night yet--looking at all the young people spilling out of jam-packed bars onto the sidewalks and thinking, Hmmm, I dunno, a lot of these folks look pretty damn trashed to me. Now in the Mediterannean countries, maybe not so much, though I guess that could've just been a fluke of where I chose to walk at night.

Not a desire I can relate to; I enjoy a mild buzz every now and then, but for the most part I'm little attracted to alcohol and don't at all understand the appeal of getting just shitfaced drunk (or stoned, or whatever). Losing control of my mind is not a sensation I value.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
drunk author
Old 03-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Beaten by the Austrians. WTF?

I wonder as well. Don't think Denmark is likely. Though on the other hand, out of the Scandinavian countries alcohol is cheapest and most easily accessible over there.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

It's funny, back when I was in college and grad school (and perhaps this is still common, I don't know) it was common to hear disdainful lectures directed at young people about how European youth never 'binge drink,' only Americans do this, Europeans are sophisticated and mature in their attitudes towards alcohol and practice the fine art of slowly savoring a few drinks and good conversation over the course of an evening, etc. The first time I was in the UK in the mid-90s, I remember walking down a busy street somewhere in central London--it wasn't even all that late at night yet--looking at all the young people spilling out of jam-packed bars onto the sidewalks and thinking, Hmmm, I dunno, a lot of these folks look pretty damn trashed to me. Now in the Mediterannean countries, maybe not so much, though I guess that could've just been a fluke of where I chose to walk at night.

Not a desire I can relate to; I enjoy a mild buzz every now and then, but for the most part I'm little attracted to alcohol and don't at all understand the appeal of getting just shitfaced drunk (or stoned, or whatever). Losing control of my mind is not a sensation I value.
In England they used to have official closing hours pretty early. So it became kind of a sport to drink as much as possible in as little time as possible.

From what I've experienced I guess the perception of the Europeans drinking more sophisticated might have to do with drinking age. While in most European countries drinking is legal from age 18, and underage drinking is not looked at as harshly as in the US, the young people start drinking at a younger age. By the time they reach the age of legal drinking many, not all, have learned how much and how fast they can drink and calm down a bit. They also lose interest in drinking til unconciousness. Americans seem to start later, often at age 18, and for them turning 21 is such a big event they shoot themselves with booze and grow out of that a little later.

Don't kill me for saying that, it's just the way I experienced it.
But what scared me more was drunk driving. From all my friends in Germany you wouldn't find someone who would drive a car after a session of serious binge drinking. In Missoula, however, I didn't find one person who didn't find it perfectly normal to drink more than I do in a whole year and then get in the car and drive either downtown or back home, with four to five passengers onboard.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 05:47 PM
I grew up in Montreal where joie de vivre is enjoyed fully early on as the legal drinking age is also 18. Years ago my mom coped with empty nest syndrome by volunteering room and board to Irish teenagers on temporary work assignments as part of a government program.

I've done and seen more than my share in my time but I honestly have never witnessed their level of stamina before or since (I've never been to Ireland). Generally I would have thought that much alcohol consumed in such a short period of time by relatively petite girls would result in severe alcohol poisoning.

I can't really imagine what the clubs in Denmark (or Bulgaria) must be like lol.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Don't kill me for saying that, it's just the way I experienced it.
Oh, I've no particular attachment to our legal drinking age...you wouldn't hear any arguments from me if they lowered it. I think you're probably right that it tends to have the effect of drawing out the 'shoot themselves with booze' years. Though I think there's also a certain attitude here towards 'the college experience' that plays into it, too--that it's this glorious period of emancipation from parental supervision, and it's almost your duty to live as wild as you can handle for the next several years. For many, anyhow.

Interesting observation about the drunk driving...of course Americans are so much more car-centric to begin with, and also it wouldn't surprise me if nonchalance about drunk driving were even worse in a highly rural state like Montana. Back when I was a high school student in Mississippi, weekend-night 'entertainment' often meant about 10 of us packing into one person's car, driving down to the Mississippi which was maybe 45 minutes away (you just ignore the No Trespassing signs and drive right onto the levee), and hanging out drinking on the riverbank with the car radio blasting. There were never any police around, no one gave a shit. Then you all pack back into the car--which yes, most of its occupants are fairly drunk by now--and fly back down the Delta backroads at waaaay over the speed limit (no one ever gave a shit about that either)...

Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
It's funny, back when I was in college and grad school (and perhaps this is still common, I don't know) it was common to hear disdainful lectures directed at young people about how European youth never 'binge drink,' only Americans do this, Europeans are sophisticated and mature in their attitudes towards alcohol and practice the fine art of slowly savoring a few drinks and good conversation over the course of an evening, etc.

Southern Europe is genuinely like that (binge drinking or being seen drunk in public is not approved of in most parts of Italy, for example), all of the binge drinking countries are northern countries.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
Forum Moderator

Found the full report:

ESPAD 2007 (.pdf) - see p. 4, column 3

Looks like it backs up what financeguy says. The 'drunk in past 12 months' rate for 15/16 year olds ranges from 8% (Armenia) to 73% (Denmark, though they do qualify in the text that the net sample from there was quite small).

Old 03-27-2009, 06:54 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Puts Denmark in a whole new perspective.

But then again, it's not only the older ones who come over the border, go to the border shops and pack their cars with as much alcohol as the trunk can handle.

Drunk driving has a little bit to do with education I think. Among those with lower degrees it seems to be more common. Those with higher degrees, or being in a higher school form, it is normal to either take a taxi back home or having a system like my father had with his friends. One person would drive, and the others would pay him all the non-alcoholic drinks. That way there was always a sober person.
Up until the 90s drunk driving was more common either. But it changed with the police doing more controls and there being more education on it.
I also wonder if there is a correlation between the age you are allowed to drive and the age you are allowed to drink. While in Europe you normally start drinking before you get your driver's license, in the US many teenagers have been driving cars for a couple years before they started drinking. Maybe that leaves them thinking they are experienced drivers, hence drinking can't compromise that ability, or something like that.

I guess for Germans it's rather the school years where you think you have to be wild. Later you are either going to University, or you are doing an apprenticeship. Though especially Uni is still rather "relaxed", you are generally much more matured and start to enjoy parties with a few drinks, not drinking until you pass out. By then, it's certainly not cool to tell how you shot yourself the other night, passed out and vomitted everywhere. People would just shake their head and tell you "That was cool when you were 14, now you should know better." In Missoula, most made it a big story how they don't remember their 21st birthday.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Southern Europe is genuinely like that (binge drinking or being seen drunk in public is not approved of in most parts of Italy, for example), all of the binge drinking countries are northern countries.
I would agree with this, my family background is Southern European and on my visits there, I've never seen the sort of drunkeness you'd see in an Aussie city on a Sat night.

They're a bit lax on the driving after drinking thing, but then they don't like to follow rules much in regard to anything ie wearing crash helmets on your scooter gives you helmet hair and should therefore be avoided....
Old 03-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
Babyface

Local Time: 12:47 PM
You know, I've always thought the ages for drinking and for driving should be reversed. Driving should be reserved for when the brain isn't frazzled by crazed hormones. Well, that and I've always thought it was unfair that we entrust people with the ability to kill people before we entrust them with the ability to at least take a drink before they do it. Besides, I'd rather a child of mine -- should I have any -- learn how to drink well before he gets to the 'big 21' thing, and give himself alcohol poisoning.

I remember being allowed to partake well before I turned 21. In very small doses, naturally, because I was a child. But by the time I turned 18, I could pour my own: my mother knew I'd never take more than a shot glass full, and only drink half of that. All day. It just didn't appeal to me. I got buzzed precisely once. And the nauseating feel of my swimming head was enough to convince me that it just wasn't a good idea. And I was 25-ish at the time. I was like, "Holy shit, this is not fun." And I wasn't even so drunk that I couldn't walk home and get into bed.

So yeah, there's something to be said for kids learning how to do some things far earlier than they're allowed to because people think they're 'too young', or whatever.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
Galeonbroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Most definately true, it's mostly the mediterranean countries where it's a nono to be drunk in public. In countries like Italy, France or Spain you'll find that many young kids(I'm thinking ±age 12 here) are actually allowed to drink by their parents. Usually during dinner they get 1/2 glass of wine.

A lot of people claim this is ridiculous and it'll make the children alcoholics, but I disagree with that. It learns them that alcoholic beverage are to be savoured, not to be 'binged'. That it's a part of dinner rather than something to do at night with friends. I find that most people I've met from these countries are very responsible for their age, and I must say I grew up that way myself.

My parents are Dutch, but they're 'Francophiles' and drink wine with dinner and we eat a lot of mediterranean foods and such. I also got a sip of wine or beer when I was younger, and I must say I've never gone out of line with alcohol. I don't drink to get drunk, I have never even been drunk in my life(that doesn't mean I haven't tried). I don't even drink that much these days, only a beer occasionally and in weekends sometimes a glass of wine with dinner, but never on weekdays.

And ofcourse, low alcoholic beverages are available at 16 here, that's being frowned upon a lot too. Well, if something's illegal, it's somehow more fun to do. It puts off a lot of 16-17 year olds since it's not 'cool' anymore.
I don't even understand why kids do this binge drinking. How is it fun to drink yourself sick and puke your guts out and then wake up with a huge headache? Can't they have fun without alcohol anymore?

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote