Manx teenagers are second worst binge drinkers in Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW, did you get your name from a book called Translations by any chance?
Yep! I didn't actually choose it for Interference though, it was just a lazy carryover username from back when I used to be the lone Anglophone contributor to the now-defunct blog/newsletter of an academic minority-language-politics association. So I'd originally chosen this username as a wry comment on the irony of a native speaker of the 800-pound-gorilla among languages earnestly serving as one of the ringleaders for this group devoted to helping other languages survive the onslaught of, well, languages like mine. (If you've read the play then the 'joke' should make sense...I think!) Not long after that I registered for Interference, wasn't feeling very creative at the time, and figured, 'What the hell, it's an Irish play, good enough.'

US-CDC just released a study on the prevalence of binge drinking in the US, based on surveying 457,677 Americans ages 18-65.

Graphic of geographic prevalence:

bingedrinkingcdc.gif

As in prior studies, young white men with higher income and education levels reported binge-drinking the most (though number of drinks typically consumed when binge-drinking was somewhat higher among lower-income respondents). The geographic distribution is perhaps partly explained by those trends; no comment in the study as to whether climate/sunlight might also be a factor.

Last edited:
When I was in Africa a couple of years ago, during my time there I went on a safari and spent about 12 days with a Danish couple. I have never and I mean NEVER seen people drink so consistently and so constantly. It may be worth noting that they were in their mid-40s and he was a doctor and she was a teacher. They had incredible stamina and bought alcohol at every pit stop that sold it (booze is cheap, esp in Zimbabwe). Very fun people in general.

US-CDC just released a study on the prevalence of binge drinking in the US

From the study:
...binge drinking (defined as four or more drinks for women and five or more drinks for men on an occasion during the past 30 days)...

This is certainly not the definition I have in mind when talking about binge drinking. I'm a binge drinker according to this... :crack:

It is raaatha an idiosyncratic definition, isn't it.

Depending on how you define 'drink'. And 'occasion'.

Seems to me they are missing the point. I could easily have four or five 'drinks' (however loosely defined) in the course of an evening without being drunk, let alone staggering drunk, let alone throwing up or passing out (all of which latter effects I consider totally undesirable).

Seems to me they are missing the point. I could easily have four or five 'drinks' (however loosely defined) in the course of an evening without being drunk, let alone staggering drunk, let alone throwing up or passing out (all of which latter effects I consider totally undesirable).

I don't think this article gets into it but generally all studies that I've seen on binge drinking (I used to do legal work for MADD at one point) have pretty specific definitions of what binge drinking would mean. And it wouldn't be 4-5 drinks over the course of an evening, but rather 4-5 in an hour or two, etc.

US-CDC just released a study on the prevalence of binge drinking in the US, based on surveying 457,677 Americans ages 18-65.

Graphic of geographic prevalence:

bingedrinkingcdc.gif

As in prior studies, young white men with higher income and education levels reported binge-drinking the most (though number of drinks typically consumed when binge-drinking was somewhat higher among lower-income respondents). The geographic distribution is perhaps partly explained by those trends; no comment in the study as to whether climate/sunlight might also be a factor.
Sounds about right.

Back
Top Bottom