Man holds hostages at Discovery TV building

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
I'm having a hard time c/p-ing the story, but it's located here:

Man holds hostages at Discovery TV building - U.S. news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

Pretty much a man is currently holding either one or two people hostage at the Discovery TV building in Maryland and is demanding that they air more programming warning people about the dangers of humans and has previously stated online that “I want Discovery Communications to broadcast on their channels to the world their new program lineup and I want proof they are doing so. I want the new shows started by asking the public for inventive solution ideas to save the planet and the remaining wildlife on it,” the alleged manifesto reads, adding:" Nothing is more important than saving ... the Lions, Tigers, Giraffes, Elephants, Froggies, Turtles, Apes, Raccoons, Beetles, Ants, Sharks, Bears, and, of course, the Squirrels. The humans? The planet does not need humans.”

This is on-going, and I'm really hoping everything turns out OK, just wanted to share with everyone.

Law enforcement identified the suspect as James Lee, 43, from Washington, D.C., who has for at least two years called for protests against the company and who was arrested and found guilty of disorderly conduct for a protest outside of Discovery's headquarters in 2008.
Lee has posted a rambling manifesto on a website in which he rails against "disgusting human babies," "parasitic infants," and says people should "disassemble civilization."

Environmental Militant James Lee Identified as Suspect Who Has Taken Hostages at Discovery Headquarters - ABC News

Sigh. There's weirdos and wackos on many sides of the spectrum.

I keep reading, or hearing this was an ASIAN man.

He is from Washington D C. Does not that make him an AMERICAN man?

He was wearing jeans and a baseball cap. Not a kimono.
Were his demands in an ASIAN language?

I'm not Asian, but as far as I can tell, the man believes that the Discovery Channel has the power to end poverty, war, famine and the job crisis.

I would watch that shit.

2. All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions. In those programs' places, programs encouraging human sterilization and infertility must be pushed. All former pro-birth programs must now push in the direction of stopping human birth, not encouraging it. <--- I wonder how that would affect "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant."

they do have some very talented people

I think Irvine works for a company that has content on a Discovery Channel.

I would watch that shit.

2. All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions. In those programs' places, programs encouraging human sterilization and infertility must be pushed. All former pro-birth programs must now push in the direction of stopping human birth, not encouraging it. <--- I wonder how that would affect "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant."

would you pay 99 cents to watch it on Apple TV?

Lee, who represented himself in Silver Spring's district court, was evaluated by state psychiatrists, but Lee said, ''They couldn't find anything wrong with me.

Did they overlook something? Because I could see lawsuits flying around over this decision.

Big, big disappointment for Fox. They were hoping for mass death and carnage and to be able to milk this one for months.

Enviromentalists = crazed psycho killers :up:

enough what?

If you read this thread from the beginning, you will see I was critical of the media calling him an Asian when he was American.

I keep reading, or hearing this was an ASIAN man.

He is from Washington D C. Does not that make him an AMERICAN man?

He was wearing jeans and a baseball cap. Not a kimono.
Were his demands in an ASIAN language?

Can't argue ending that show.

Just saw this story on MSN a couple hours ago. Thank goodness the hostages weren't hurt, though it's a shame it did end tragically in regards to the hostage-taker. Obviously a very disturbed individual.

Angela

i worked at home yesterday morning, and got off the metro at Silver Spring just as they were closing the metro station. that was irritating. i had to take a circuitous route and i saw crowds gathering and police cars pulling up and creating a perimeter, my first thought was that there was a traffic accident or some pedestrian had been hit by a car, and then someone told me that there was a gunman with bombs who had taken hostages. i called my place of work -- just a block or two away -- as i was wading through the crowds with the sound of helicopters overhead, and they told me to just come to work and stay off the streets, so i did. and then the rest of my day was probably not that different from anyone else, despite the fact that i have worked in that building and i know many people who presently work in the building. and i have seen the gunman before -- he would hold strange protests outside the building and hire homeless people to participate, and it was always silly, if not a bit surreal.

i am dying to know who the hostages were. the rumor we heard was that it was a security guard and two producers for TLC. i produce content for TLC, so i'm a bit concerned that i may have known or at least communicated with one of the hostages. but we have no names yet, so who knows?

from what i could gather, literally being "on the ground" and from the stories afterward, is that it was extremely professionally handled. of course it is sad that the shooter is dead, but my understanding is that he was threatening to kill one of the hostages. i also read a grisly detail where he was shot, fell to the ground, and then one of his explosives went off. so that was probably very, very messy. and the concern is that there may be other bombs in the building, but probably not. the Montgomery County PD and the MD State Police really did seem to handle this very, very well, as did Discovery.

Discovery employees have from 10-1 today to collect whatever belongings they have and then take the long weekend and return to work on Tuesday.

it's been a very strange past 24 hours. back to cutting another show for another network also owned by DCI.

I thought that you might work in that building so I'm glad you weren't there

It seems as if they didn't really recognize that this guy could be a threat there-if he was on private property why didn't they ever have him removed?

TLC should really change their name. None of their programming is educational. Maybe the PT Barnum Channel would be more fitting

It seems as if they didn't really recognize that this guy could be a threat there-if he was on private property why didn't they ever have him removed?

after his protest in 2008, i think he was brought to court -- there was a restraining order on him where he had to stay 500 feet away from the building, but that expired in August.

turns out i didn't know any of the hostages, but people i work with do. we're all relieved that they're okay.

Back
Top Bottom