Man gets 90 years for soliciting a girl who never existed - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 07:58 AM
Man gets 90 years for soliciting a girl who never existed

In the story below, an elderly man was given a 90 year jail sentence for soliciting a 13 year old online who turned out to be an undercover cop. While this is not a good thing to do, does it really deserve NINETY YEARS?! People get much less for actual murders and rapes. What I find disturbing is that there actually never was a girl, so technically he never committed a crime. He spoke to a grown man pretending to be a 13 year old girl, and never made any contact with a real girl. For 90 years, he might as well have actually met her, raped her, killed her, chopped her up and put her body in a dumpster. His advanced age does not take away from the fact that the sentence is too long. You also need to consider that a lot of people run their mouths/type things online they would never actually follow through with. My question is, isn't this sentence severe for something that never really happened?

Man, 82, gets 90-year prison term in sex case in Louisa
By Reed Williams | TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

A Louisa County judge today sentenced an 82-year-old former pastor to 90 years in prison for three counts of soliciting sex with a minor.

A jury in August found Irvin "Pete" Baldwin of Mechanicsville guilty of the three charges and recommended the 90-year prison term -- 30 years for each count.

That is the maximum allowed under the law for each solicitation charge.

Authorities say the three crimes occurred in 2009 -- on Nov. 23, Nov. 30 and Dec. 4.

Authorities say Baldwin communicated over the Internet with someone he thought was a 13-year-old girl but who actually was a Louisa investigator.

Baldwin was arrested last December after traveling to Louisa to meet the girl.

Louisa Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney Rusty McGuire has said he argued for a substantial sentence in part because of Baldwin's history as a pastor and a Sunday school teacher.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:58 AM
I think the fact that he was arrested after "travelling to Louisa to meet the girl" kind of torpedoes your theory of running his mouth and never following through. What if the police had a real 13 year old correspond with the guy? would that have made any difference whatsoever? The fact the it was a police officer is irrelevant. It's like saying any sting operation isn't fair because a real crime was never going to take place. Throw him in jail

Old 11-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Based upon the information I have been able to find so far.

I think he should spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Quote:
Former minister, 81, gets 90-year sentence

Man was convicted of using a computer to solicit sex from a minor.

Date published: 11/22/2010

A judge upheld a jury's recommendation of 90 years in prison for a former minister convicted of three counts of using a computer to solicit sex from a minor.

Irvin “Pete” Baldwin, 81, of Mechanicsville, was sentenced in Louisa County Circuit Court today to 90 years in prison, the second-longest sentence in Virginia history for this offense, according to Louisa Deputy Commonwealth Attorney Rusty McGuire.

Baldwin was arrested in December in Louisa, where he thought he would meet a young girl for sex.

The investigation started last November, when a man contacted Louisa sheriff's detective Patrick Siewert online. The detective was posing as a 13-year-old girl.

After several online chats on Nov. 23, Nov. 30 and Dec. 4 of 2009, the man started discussing sexual acts, Siewert said. He later proposed to come to Louisa to perform those acts.

When Baldwin drove from his home in Hanover County to Louisa, he was arrested by detectives.

During the trial in August, McGuire argued that Baldwin’s graphic sexual conversations, his instructions to the minor to erase the records of their conversations and his drive to Louisa at his requested meeting place and time established his intent.

McGuire argued for a substantial sentence due to the defendant’s past history as a pastor, Sunday school teacher, business owner and lack of criminal record.

Baldwin’s attorney argued that these were positives, but McGuire argued that Baldwin "was living the American Dream and if anybody knew better, it was an 81-year-old with his background. Instead he chose to steal the innocence of what he thought was a 13-year-old child.”
Old 11-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:58 PM
i have mixed feelings on these things. it's entrapment, but at the same time, the guys they catch end up going out to do dodgy stuff.

i could write more on the subject, but i cbf at the moment.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

It is not 'entrapment' unless the fake 13 year old girl contacted him first and led him to do something he would not have done.

Would you prefer a real 13 year old year girl meet this guy and get all molested up?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
War Child

IF a REAL 13 year old girl met up with him, it would be different. That didn't happen. True, he did have that intent, but nothing actually happened. I am not saying he should walk free, but a couple of years is enough, let the time suit the crime. There was no girl. NOTHING HAPPENED TO A GIRL.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
IF a REAL 13 year old girl met up with him, it would be different. That didn't happen. True, he did have that intent, but nothing actually happened. I am not saying he should walk free, but a couple of years is enough, let the time suit the crime. There was no girl. NOTHING HAPPENED TO A GIRL.
This reasoning boggles my mind. Would you prefer if they used a real 13 year old as a decoy and let them meet up, then the moment before he molests her, jump out and arrest him?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
So if I read you correctly you are saying because nothing really happened the time should be less.

Even if it was a real 13 year old girl and not a decoy, and nothing happened, he should not get more than a couple of years?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:58 PM
yeah, that's not the reasoning that makes me uncomfortable with this method. sure, it's better to have these people of the streets, but i just don't like the way it's done. i don't have any better solutions beyond educate your damn kids, so i can't really complain too much.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
IF a REAL 13 year old girl met up with him, it would be different. That didn't happen. True, he did have that intent, but nothing actually happened.
He was convicted of soliciting. Nothing has to "happen" physically in order to meet the solicitation standard.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
Refugee

If he's 82, isn't his sentences length irrelevant?

Regardless, he deserves nothing less than the rest of his life in a jail cell.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
War Child

As I said in the first post, his age should not matter, it could have been a young guy too.

Don't you think that 90 years is a sentence for a murder or at least a rape and torture? Do we really need a system that persecutes for things that MIGHT have happened? This is scary, if you think about it.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Do we really need a system that persecutes for things that MIGHT have happened? This is scary, if you think about it.
Do you not understand what solicitation means?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Do we really need a system that persecutes for things that MIGHT have happened? This is scary, if you think about it.
It's not "might" have happened, its "would" have happened.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
War Child

Look, there are lower sentences for ATTEMPTED MURDER than real murder, and ATTEMPTED ROBBERY rather than real robbery. Those people intended to do something, but they didn't, or couldn't, so they didn't get the entire sentence. Shouldn't it be the same with this? There are also degrees of murder and manslaughter. 90 years is a sentence for a brutal murder that actually occurred. An attempted murder or a second degree murder or an involuntary manslaughter would get much, much less. So why not an attempted meet up with a young girl? See my point?