ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Male Rights Activist Calls for Valentine's Day Boycott

Male Rights Activist Calls for Valentine's Day Boycott

Old 02-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:13 AM
ok, i kind of enjoyed that. however, i think his points about female entitlement are taken (by me, at least) while at the same time he doesn't have to bash other men and call them sissies or whatever to make such a point.

i think we all know that V-Day is a Hallmark Holiday designed to get you to buy ultra-generic, overpriced, bullshit gifts and/or sit in overcrowded restaurants that charge $75 for a botulism-daring prix-fixe meal prepared hours earlier and marinating under heat lamps.

on a more serious note, there do seem to be structural inequalities built into industries that make their money off of heterosexual relationships, and i can't help but think that those may play out in certain heterosexual relationships. that really is his point, i think, but why does he have to resort to male-bashing (precisely the crime he accuses Hallmark of) to do so? he's really obsessed with testicles. or the metaphorical lack thereof.

for the record, we get Popeye's fried chicken every Valentine's Day and eat it in front of the TV. i got the idea from (heterosexual) friends who go ironically to Pizza Hut each year.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 02:13 PM
Sextortion.
Expected generosity.
Fake romance.
Special occasion sex.
Valentine's Day.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:13 AM
Quote:
"Under the Clitoral Hood: How to Crank Her Engine Without Cash, Booze or Jumper Cables,"
Charming title!

While I don't necessarily disagree with some of the sentiment in here (if I got flowers on Valentine's Day, it'd be very nice and appreciated, but I wouldn't go into fits of rage if I didn't get them, either, just being able to spend time with the guy I was with at all would be lovely enough as it is), people, it's just a holiday. It's not worth getting all offended and outraged and making a big "I'm taking a stand!" sort of production over. On either end.

Angela
Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
on a more serious note, there do seem to be structural inequalities built into industries that make their money off of heterosexual relationships, and i can't help but think that those may play out in certain heterosexual relationships. that really is his point, i think, but why does he have to resort to male-bashing (precisely the crime he accuses Hallmark of) to do so? he's really obsessed with testicles. or the metaphorical lack thereof.
I agree...he sounds like he has some anxiety issues about being sufficiently assertive with women, which is his problem not Hallmark's, however materialistic their motives may be (well, are).

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I don't necessarily interpret it as male-bashing per se. If is true, as he claims, that the cult of Valentine's Day perpetuates female entitlement, then actually males are partially 'to blame' by enabling this sense of entitlement - hence, they need to man up and grow a set.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

YouTube - History of Valentine's Day
Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Oh, lord...*Puts head in hand*. Such wonderful folk out there sometimes...

Angela
Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I don't necessarily interpret it as male-bashing per se. If is true, as he claims, that the cult of Valentine's Day perpetuates female entitlement, then actually males are partially 'to blame' by enabling this sense of entitlement - hence, they need to man up and grow a set.

i do find female entitlement an interesting point. i haven't fully formulated my thoughts on the matter, but the most entitled females i know are single. they go through dudes like kleenex.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

What are the characteristics of an "entitled female" and why would a man choose to date such a woman?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
What are the characteristics of an "entitled female" and why would a man choose to date such a woman?

there seems to be an expectation of a male suitor of a certain income level who is both a guy's guy and yet able to not just meet but anticipate her every emotional need. there is an expectation that they will be treated in the manner in which their monied fathers have treated them, but yet be right in every disagreement. apologies, flowers, and homecooked dinners should follow each fight. genuinely interesting boyfriend prospects are discarded after a few dates because they don't measure up to a certain ideal that encompasses not just a specific physical ideal (actually, they are more forgiving on this than their male entitlement counterparts), but an economic and emotional one as well. failure to live up to specific expectations are not even just personal shortcomings, but actually slights against the female involved. you tell yourself that you won't just "settle," and you can point out the various numerous flaws in the spouses and relationships of all your female friends who have "settled," and you won't make those mistakes.

i love these women, but i would never, ever want to date them. it seems an impossible task. i would initially tend to blame the makers of hollywood rom-coms, but then, people like these women spend $$$ to go see such films, so wash, rinse, repeat.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #13
Forum Moderator

Hmmm. I honestly don't think I know anyone like that. I don't have too many "monied father" friends though, of either sex.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Hmmm. I honestly don't think I know anyone like that. I don't have too many "monied father" friends though, of either sex.

i think i know less "entitlement females" and more "females who happen to be entitled."

i will say that even among my married, non-entitlement friends, there does seem to be a strong expectation of what a man will do that has taken me aback. maybe it was being raised on "free to be you and me," but i'm a bit taken at how many women, despite decent careers, very quickly and easily fall into much more traditional female roles than i would have expected, at least given who they were in college.

but then i'm in a relationship with no gender role expectations, or models, so perhaps everything looks patriarchal to me.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I don't "know" a lot of women like that personally, but I'm certainly familiar with the type.

While I definitely agree that some women's criteria is rather picky and unrealistic, at the same time, I can understand it to some extent, because most of the women I know tend to hook up with guys who turn out to be total jerks at their BEST moments, and I tend to find myself thinking that these women might want to up their standards some. I think a lot of women are trying so hard to avoid falling into that "dating jerks" scenario that they start off with a list of qualities that are absolutely worthy things to look for and expect in a guy, but then it winds up turning into a list of total perfection that no guy can possibly live up to.

Angela