Male Nurse Feels Humiliated By Qantas Policy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't the policy probably based more on concerns about people who might engage in obscene behavior in the child's presence (exposure, masturbation, intentionally disturbingly explicit speech etc.)--and the fact that children are usually both less savvy and less confident than adults on how to handle such situations--rather than concerns about 'molestation' per se? I used to manage a large bookstore, and I can recall several instances where we had the pleasure of dealing with male customers who were doing one or more of the above in the children's section.

Not that I'm supporting the policy--AFAIK no US airline has ever had such a policy, and I don't see how it could survive a legal challenge here--but just as a point about the likely intent.

Last edited:
I'd say lawyers made this policy. Fear of lawsuits, real and frivolous.
How is this any different than male superiors now advised to never have discussions with a female employee in a closed room for fear of a sexual harassment suit?

In a he said/she said, he said/child said situation, whom does the burden of proof fall on?

How is this any different than male superiors now advised to never have discussions with a female employee in a closed room for fear of a sexual harassment suit?
For real? I meet my boss one-on-one (as we all do, I just happen to be the only person on our team that is female) once every two weeks in his office.

^ That's so funny you said that. I lived with a roommate and her three children for several months, however we got into a dispute and she packed up my bags and threw me out, stating, "It was for the best interests of the children. I would prefer not to subject my children to your views."

My "views" was that she was a neglectful mother, and I was right. But all in all, being classified as a threat to children pissed me off, but I let it go.

Except that the woman didn't kick you out because she thought you were going to molest her kids and had absolutely no logical reason to make such assumptions. She kicked you out because of a dispute over how the kids were raised. Not liking one's views on something is quite a different situation from presuming they're a molester simply because they're male.

If I were in the same position, I would have moved without asking or any non-compliance at all. That's just me. This whole situation could have been avoided. Yes, the flight attendants could have used more tact- I said that already.

And if it was a policy that was made TO PROTECT CHILDREN, you bet I'd cooperate because to hell with my little sensitive feelings, it's for the greater good. Although I think the policy is stupid, they were just following policy. We all know a lot of abuse happens with someone trusted, so this policy is quite silly. And on an airplane of all places, a person can't even yawn without me smelling their awful pig breath. So yes this policy is STUPID!!!

Fine, you want to move, that's your choice. Doing things for the greater good is nice. But there's also that whole thing of "proof" and "innocence" and "guilt" that's worth factoring in as well.

But I have to agree with JT here, you seem to be on both sides of this issue at once and it's kind of confusing.

* Yes I was being tongue in cheek, predators come in all forms, nurses, priests, teachers (often females with younger men aka Letourneau), doctors.

I wasn't raised "paranoid" but honey, I knew the correct definition of exploit. The rest of the kids are raised paranoid, while some are completely unaware that what Uncle Ted is doing is not normal...
What are the statistics here people? On rapes? On incest? On molestation? On child abuse?
Compare that to a person whose feelings were hurt on a plane ride.

Really, tell mr sensitive to lock it up and shut up already. And do away with this ridiculous policy.

No argument that children who are abused suffer a hell of a lot more than this guy on the plane. You're right.

But still, it doesn't mean it's fair for people to make assumptions about whether or not someone will abuse children, and take action without any sort of logical, concrete proof to do so.

I always leave the door open when I'm alone in the room with a student. ALWAYS.

I was advised to do this, dutifully did so ... and then had other staff walking past closing my office door for me multiple times. :laugh:

For real? I meet my boss one-on-one (as we all do, I just happen to be the only person on our team that is female) once every two weeks in his office.
That surprises me; my impression was virtually every college in the country has a policy by now strongly encouraging professors to leave the office door open unless a student wants it closed. I would've assumed for staff it's the same way. (This is for the safety of faculty as well, BTW; we do get deranged students every now and then...)

Last edited:
That surprises me; my impression was virtually every college in the country has a policy by now strongly encouraging professors to leave the office door open unless a student wants it closed. I would've assumed for staff it's the same way. (This is for the safety of faculty as well, BTW; we do get deranged students every now and then...)

Maybe it helps that the front of his office is glass? I've worked here for 10 years so maybe we've been "grandfathered" in (and incidentally my boss is the same age as my dad and I've always seen him as sort of a father-figure). We used to conduct one-on-ones at the coffee shop but when my boss finally got an enclosed office with a door, we switched it to there since the coffee shop can be really loud and distracting at times and not very private if we are discussing issues that shouldn't be "leaked" around campus yet. Some of the stuff we talk about is best behind closed doors in a sound-proof office. I'm meeting with him in five minutes...

We do have pretty proactive policies on sexual harassment and HR offers extensive training. We've sacked two professors in two years for relationships with students (consensual does not matter here).

How has this not been used in this thread yet?

Simpsons-think-of-the-children.jpg

Seriously though. . .I follow a pretty strict open door policy. Just today I had an after school meeting over ice cream with a female student of mine, and I made sure the door to the classroom was open and that there was a clear line of sight between where we were sitting and the school secretary's desk across the hall.

You can't be too careful these days. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom