Malaysian taxi drivers have a better standard of living than YOU? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Oh no?
Nope. I'll put it to you another way, do you think U2's massive profits and success come at the expense of the bottom 10%?

Quote:
Then why is this necessary?
Well, governments need money in order to provide multiple services to society especially defense, that everyone, regardless of income level, benefits from. Has nothing to do with the bottom 10%.

Quote:
The point isn't that Americans live longer now, ALL of us live longer now.
Life expectancy and health are key indicators of standard of living. Guess what, everyone does not live longer today than they did back in the 1940s-1970s. There are countries in the world that actually have a worse life expectancy rate today than they did in the 1970s!

Quote:
It's that slipping from the top of the modern democracy list TO THE BOTTOM is correlated with the divide widening dramatically between rich and poor.
Well, that depends on how you define this list. The United States according to the UNDP currently has a higher standard of living than countries like the United Kingdom, Germany, and Italy, even though the divide between what is consider rich and poor is greater in the United States.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
^ I believe the comparison she's referring to was made in this portion of the transcript:

That is, we displayed greater overall economic mobility than European societies of the time did. And we're talking epidemiological analysis here, so specific forms of economic inequality within particular countries (e.g., mid-20th-century racial inequality in the US) would only be relevant to the comparison insofar as they affect overall economic inequality relative to other countries.
Well, the racial discrimination suffered by African Americans in the period of the 1940s-1970s and its impact on their economic well being is not being accurately reflected in the figures they are using. Again, the average US poverty rate during the 1940s, 1950s, and even the 1960s was much higher than it is today. The poverty rate in the United States at the end of the 1950s, was over 20%, more than double of what it is today.

Yes, the rich did get richer, but it obviously did not come at the expense of the poor with so many people moving out of poverty.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
What did you think of the thesis, financeguy? You often enough touch on themes of declining social cohesion and social relations and their connection to other social problems.
I think there is a slight tendency among my generation in general to expect a little bit more out of life than is practicable. We were inculcated by parents, media and the general environment to believe we could have everything and facing up to the fact that we can't is part of maturity, I guess. That said, it's a mildly scary thought that some of the people I went to school and college with are now serious players in the political, media and financial scene in Ireland. So, for better or worse, the world is in our hands now. Scary thought actually.

I was hoping that the economic crisis would somehow lead to greater social cohesion, but I'm not sure that I've seen a lot of evidence for that so far. Most people are still largely out for themselves and, at best, their immediate families and close friends, and I guess I can't blame them.