Madrid bans too-thin models from catwalk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
from AFP

Excessively skinny fashion models will be barred from a major Madrid fashion show later this month for fear they could send the wrong message to young Spanish girls, local media reported.
Madrid's regional government, which is co-financing the Pasarela Cibeles, has vetoed around a third of the models who took part in last year's show because they weigh too little.

The authorities collaborated with a Spanish health organisation to come up with a minumum body mass -- a height-weight ratio -- of 18 for the models.

Spanish daily ABC said it was the first time such restrictions had been imposed on a fashion show, although a recent wedding dress exhibition in Barcelona banned fashion models who took a dress size below 38 (British size 10, US size eight).

Several models at last year's show provoked a row when they claimed their careers would be under threat if they put on weight.

Organisers said they wanted to "help ensure public opinion does not associate fashion, and fashion shows in particular, with an increase in anorexia, a disease which, along with bulimia, is considered ... as a mental and behavioural problem".

The event will take place on September 18-22.

:ohmy:

I don't know if I've ever heard of this. On one hand, I think it's about time. We're bombarded with enough messages that the "ideal" woman is a size 2, and the reality is that a good number of us never will be (and couldn't be even if we tried). It would be refreshing to see fashionable clothes designed and modelled by women that more accurately reflect the average woman (although I don't know if the standard they set really reflects that or not :huh: ). On the other hand, is it fair to the models who are "too thin"? hmmm....

I think that's a great idea

Sure some people are naturally thin, but how many models are naturally as thin as that? Size zero is not a natural size. Odds are in most cases they're starving themselves or using other methods to stay that thin. There is plenty of work for most models other than runway.

I bet this would never happen in the US, but "plus size" (size 12 is a plus size for models even though the average American woman is a 14) models are rarely seen on the runway.

I think this is a great idea. Girls will get the message that there really is such a thing as "too thin" and this will help those with eating disorders, hopefully.

I agree with sulawesigirl. But I'm not a fan of bannings, I do think something needs to be done about changing the perception of women, but this may not be the greatest way to do it...

I'm all for it. Especially when you consider how many of these ultra thin models are that was naturally. I have to think it's somewhere between slim and none. (Sorry about the pun.)

as i understand it, and i would love for someone to correct me if i'm wrong, having extremely thin girls modelling clothes is because the fashion houses only provide tiny sizes to start with. they are not going to waste money on mass-producing articles of clothing with more material if the piece does not show well at the fashion shows. in fact, the girl's body is not supposed to detract from the article of clothing itself.

unfortunately, in a society, and industry, where women are highly objectified, these thin bodies are not only the focus, but have somehow become the ideal. so when real women with real curves try on these clothes, they feel fat because they don't look like the model. therapists and the fashion industry have made a killing off the fact that many women feel inadequate for not being a size 0.

so while skinny people need love too, i think excessive thinness is what has been celebrated and flaunted as the ideal of beauty - to the detriment of the emotional and physical health of many women. kudos to the spanish officials for taking steps to ensure that the idea of beauty is inclusive of and reflected in a greater portion of the population. :up:

That's probably a move in the right direction although like BVS and sula I wonder if outright bannings are really the right way to go about it. Not that I can think of a better way.

Maybe this just reflects how my definition of too thin has been influenced by the media blah blah...but when it comes to fashion shows I think a BMI minimum of 18 might be a little too harsh and cut out too many models. It's not average but I do know plenty of tall skinny body type people who can be at that weight without having an eating disorder.

Anyway I'm shocked that only a third of them qualified to be banned. All I've seen of fashion shows are clips on TV, etc but of what I've seen I would never have believed that 2/3 of them have BMIs over 18. Maybe that's a sad statement I dunno but I actually think it's encouraging in a way that "only" 1/3 of them were under that.

I have been reading some of the comments online about this piece of news, it is disgusting but honestly not all that surprising. When you have men who feel this way and feel free to express it, well what does that say about this issue? A man wrote this one on Yahoo..

"This is an unfortunate decision. I applaud the thin models and the industry that encourages them and other young women to adhere to eating habits that promote a svelte look. It's excellent to encourage these habits while young so that they become ingrained; to do otherwise will result in women becoming big disappointments to their husbands later in life."

Yeah, it's all about not disappointing men

Would Naomi Campbell really be banned under these rules? Seems to me given the standards for models these days, she's considered fat. Anorexia is a "rare phenomenon" in the fashion business? Yeah, ok

MILAN (Reuters) - Italy's fashion capital is in a tizzy over a ban on overly thin models at Madrid's fashion week, fearing it could be next with its own catwalk extravaganza less than two weeks away.

Milan's mayor, Letizia Moratti, told a newspaper this week that she may bring the Spanish ban on underweight models to Italian shows.

Madrid is turning away models whose body mass index, based on weight and height, falls below a certain level.

"With those kind of rules, we'd have to turn away 80 percent of models. Naomi Campbell wouldn't be able to walk down the catwalk, she'd be too thin," said Riccardo Gay, head of the model agency of the same name that used to represent Campbell in Milan.

He also said Madrid had exaggerated the issue.

"Some designers have used extremely thin models, but we haven't. We tell models to exercise, eat well, go to bed early -- sensible rules," he added.

Madrid's regional government imposed the rules on fashion week to protect the models as well as teenagers who may develop anorexia as they try to copy underweight catwalk stars.

Mario Boselli, head of the Italian fashion industry's chamber of commerce, said anorexia was a "rare phenomenon" in the fashion business.

"You don't solve these problems with new rules. We have to use common sense and work with everyone in the industry -- including the models -- to spread awareness and deal with the problem," Boselli told Reuters.

Moratti was unavailable for comment, having left on a trip to Japan.

Milan fashion week, which brings together top designers such as Versace, Armani, Gucci and Prada, starts on September 23.

Now London is doing the same...

A British Cabinet minister on Saturday called for London Fashion Week to follow its Madrid counterpart and ban extremely thin models from the catwalk.
Fashion Week organizers rejected the call _ but said they were canceling the event's opening photo call to avoid giving the issue more publicity.

Last week Madrid's Fashion Week, the Pasarela Cibeles, announced it was banning models with a Body Mass Index, or height to weight ratio, below 18.

Organizers of the Spanish event said they wanted models to project "an image of beauty and health" and shun a gaunt, emaciated look.

"I applaud the decision taken by Madrid to ban super-thin models, and urge the organizers of London Fashion Week to do the same," British Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell.

The World Health Organization considers people with a BMI below 18.5 underweight. To achieve a BMI of 18, a 5-foot-9 model would have to weigh about 125 pounds. The average runway model at that height is 115 pounds.

The body mass index is a tool for doctors who study obesity. It is calculated by dividing weight in pounds by height in inches squared, and multiplying that total by 703.

If the resulting number is between 18.5 and 24.9, the person's weight is considered normal. Below 18.5 they are underweight.

"The fashion industry's promotion of beauty as meaning stick thin is damaging to young girls' self image and to their health," Jowell said in a statement.

"Young girls aspire to look like the catwalk models _ when those models are unhealthily underweight it pressurizes girls to starve themselves to look the same."

The British Fashion Council, which runs Fashion Week, said in a statement that it "does not comment or interfere in the aesthetic of any designer's show."

"The BFC has canceled the photo call on Sunday because it is unwilling to add any more impetus to the publicity surrounding this complicated issue," it added,

London Fashion Week opens Monday and runs through Friday.

I think its a good idea. I've watched some of the fashion shows on TV, and some of the models must have eating disorders, and with so many celebrities walking around with skin and bones bodies (Nicole Ritchie, Kate Bosworth, etc), I think its time someone put a stop to it.

Last edited:
Stick thin women are pathetic and awful :| what's that all about? :mad:

I really don't know how I feel about this. I'm all for being proactive against the whole emaciated/coke addict/eating disorder look.

But on the other hand, when I'm flipping through pages of fashion models in women's magazines, it strikes me that many of the girls have an almost lifeless, androgynous look about them and in a way, I think it helps put the fashion pieces in the spotlight and not the person wearing them. They all basically look like mannequins and don't distract from the designs they're showing. Also, when I watch some shows it seems like the thinner girls have an advantage because they are able to fit into anything made by anyone. At the best fashion shows, they have to be changing outfits in like ten seconds flat! I know with my figure, it would be impossible, even though I consider myself an average size with healthy curves.

I'm happy that something drastic is being done, but I wish that it would have come from within the industry itself. For example, designers cattering to "real" women and not just the mannequin ones.

Maybe its just me, but when I look thru mags like Vogue I DO notice the girls FIRST and then pay attention to the clothing. If she looks like a cokehead, I don't care what designer she's wearing I'm already turned off by the ENTIRE image.

I have always been naturally thin, yup even wore size 2. I eat heartily, I just had a great metabolism. I stand at 5'8. As i got older and finally hit 28, I finally started putting on more weight and I"m now at 135 at age 31.

I *could* freak out that I'm not a 2 anymore, but I'm completely happy w/ my image now that I can't imagine going back to being that thin. I think it has ALOT to do w/ self-esteem too. I have never looked at a mag and beat myself up because i don't look like them. As a photographer , I know damn well they do NOT look like that w/ out alot of help :)

under this ban

which models would be banned.

a model 5 ft 10 ins.

weighing:

a. 100 lbs

b. 105 lbs

c. 110 lbs

d. 115 lbs

e 120 lbs

f. 125 lbs ?

VertigoGal said:
or perhaps G- all of the above. :tongue:

They shoud make it 17 or 17.5 if they're gonna try the banning approach. Unless they want to ban like 90% of models.
all,
is right

most models are 5' 10"

and I would say many weigh less than 110 lbs, some much less

they are too thin

125 lbs is 17.9 BMI and would be banned in Spain (below 18 BMI)

18 BMI may be the wrong number to use

India Adds Its Weight to Thin Model Debate

Reuters, Sep 19, 2006

NEW DELHI - India does not want waif-like young women sashaying down the catwalk and acting as role models for thousands of girls who are starving themselves to get svelte figures, the Indian health minister said.

The minister's statement comes after the unprecedented decision taken by fashion organizers in Madrid this month to ban underweight models from walking the ramp, saying they wanted to project an image of beauty and health, not a waif-like look. The Times of India quoted Anbumani Ramadoss on Tuesday as saying that many girls in India's cities and small towns were suffering from osteoporosis due to strict dieting. "India faces both problems: obesity and osteoporosis. Though many more suffer from obesity, the number of young girls, starving to become thin-like models, is also rocketing,'' the minister was quoted as saying.

The United Nations says India is home to 57 million of the world's 146 million malnourished children under the age of five. But at the same time the country's growing middle class is also grappling with lifestyle ailments typical in the West, from obesity to anorexia. "The Madrid decision, I hope, makes young girls focus more on being healthy and lean rather than starving and skinny,'' Ramadoss said.

Since 1994, when Indian models Sushmita Sen and Aishwarya Rai became Miss Universe and Miss World respectively, fashion shows and modeling have become the rage for millions of Indian girls. India plays host to several major fashion shows, and television channels regularly air footage of skinny, scantily clad models.

people.com

Model Petra Nemcova knows what it's like to struggle to be a size zero in order to stay on the runway – and says she went on brutal diets and even took laxatives to stay thin.

"I went through so many diets in my life. I've been very, very skinny. I've been a size zero but I'm naturally more curvy," she tells PEOPLE. "I ate just vegetables, carrots, tomatoes. I went from a just-protein diet to just eating apples to eating no carbs. I took laxatives. I went through all of it just to be able to model."

Nemcova's comments come in the wake of a decision earlier this month by Madrid Fashion Week officials, who set off an international catfight by announcing that models participating in Fashion Week shows there had to meet a weight standard: Their body-mass index needed to be at least 18 – or 122 lbs. for someone 5'9".

Some fashion-world movers and shakers share their take on the new rules with PEOPLE:

• Designer Donatella Versace: "The house of Versace has always used women as opposed to girls in our fashion shows and ad campaigns. I have always preferred to work with models that have feminine curves over too thin models."

• Stylist Rachel Zoe: "I don't think they'll ever get banned. I think that as an industry we should promote healthiness. I think that there's a small grey area between being too skinny and sick versus being a thin person. I think if everyone looks to Kate Moss, I mean, she looks great, she's not too thin, she looks healthy."

• Designer Antonio Pernas: "I had to change the whole lot (of models in my show) in one day! (But) this industry sets an example to young women, so I'm not against the measures."

• Model Kimberly Stewart: Should the Madrid ban be adopted worldwide? "I think, yeah, I think it should. (The super-thin image) is not good for underage girls, I agree. In New York and Los Angeles it's the same."

• Designer Ben de Lisi: "I chose all my models because they are healthy and beautiful, and whether they are skinny or curvaceous, as long as they are healthy, they're on my catwalk. If they look beautiful and they look healthy and they're naturally thin, then they will go on my catwalk. Full stop."

• Actress Thandie Newton "Some women are just naturally very slim. I don't think that fashion necessarily promotes a very skinny look anymore. There are a lot of women in the public eye – and actors have a lot to do with that – who have a more curvy physique, (such as) Scarlett Johansson and Catherine Zeta-Jones, who are hugely admired by audiences. If anything, I think there's a wider range of body types now for fashion."

MrsSpringsteen said:

• Stylist Rachel Zoe: "I don't think they'll ever get banned. I think that as an industry we should promote healthiness. I think that there's a small grey area between being too skinny and sick versus being a thin person. I think if everyone looks to Kate Moss, I mean, she looks great, she's not too thin, she looks healthy."

:huh:

Ms. Heroin Chic herself? Sure, she's naturally that way but to me she looks sickly. I'd rather have Catherine Zeta Jones and Scarlett on the runway than her.

Well Kate Moss now compared to how she used to look isn't AS skinny, that's the only possible perspective I can view her statement in. I guess when you're a stylist to stick thin celebs (I believe she works with Nicole Richie just to name one), you start to think Kate isn't too thin.

I think it's unreal that Petra Nemcova did that and felt that pressure and thought she was too curvy to be a model. She is stunningly beautiful. Good for her for speaking out.

50945227.jpg

from that new Red Independent

The Third Leader: Not too thin...
Giorgio Armani
Published: 21 September 2006

Ever since I started out as a fashion designer, I chose to use models who were on the slender side. This was because the clothes I design and the sort of fabrics I use need to hang correctly on the body. I want the dresses to seem to float and flow with the body.

Gianni Versace was a very different kind of designer. He used jerseys and chiffons, which needed a body of a certain shape to hold the fabric. He used more voluptuous models. The particular styles I designed were quite different, and this is why, maybe, I was regarded as being among those designers who used slim women as models.

But I do not feel responsible for setting a trend towards models who look anorexic. As so often in the fashion world, things have been taken to extremes. And unfortunately there are a lot of young women who never accept that they are thin enough - and this is an illness.

In my view, all women want to look much slimmer than they are, and this encourages them to be very careful about what they eat. But there is a similar issue at the other end of the scale: there are very few women who have just the right degree of voluptuousness to be pin-ups.

Most of the comment on this issue of anorexic models - like comment on anything - tends to exaggerate the problem. But the fact that we are dealing with the world of fashion, where so much is exaggerated anyway, means there has been a particular lack of balance in this discussion.

:shrug: No one in fashion wants to really address this issue or take responsibility for the images they put out there as standards. Same goes for Hollywood.

What is attractive? Slim? Plump? It's a health and image issue that has changed with the times. Skinny used to mean poor, that's certainly not the case today in developed countries. Who hasn't heard the quote "you can't be too rich or too thin"?

http://www.modellaunch.com/buzz/popnews.php?id=4003097

Update: In a major editorial today, Where Size 0 Doesn’t Make the Cut, The New York Times comments on the death of Luisel Ramos, a Uruguayan model who had been ordered to lose weight and died of heart failure after taking her turn on the catwalk. She reportedly had gone days without eating, and for months consumed only lettuce and diet soda.

According to Vivirlatino.com, The young Uruguayan model died of heart failure while participating in a fashion show during Fashion Week in Montevideo (Uruguay). The 22 year-old Luisel Ramos felt ill after walking the catwalk, fainted on her way to the dressing room and died in spite of the medical attention she received from a mobile hospital unit, sources told EFE. The doctors who treated her diagnosed her with heart failure. The young woman's father told police that the model had gone several days without eating.

Where Size 0 Doesn’t Make the Cut

Published: September 22, 2006

If fashion models were purebred dogs instead of underfed women, there would be an outcry over the abusive standards for appearing in shows and photo shoots. The prize for women who aspire to the catwalk is a ridiculous size o, though overachieving undereaters seem to be reaching for size 00, which invites further starvation, serious illness and worse.

If the industry needed a wake-up call, it got one last month, when Luisel Ramos, an Uruguayan model who had been advised to lose weight, died of heart failure after taking her turn on the catwalk. She reportedly had gone days without eating, and for months consumed only lettuce and diet soda.

Nevertheless, organizers of Madrid’s Fashion Week caught designer and fashionista scorn for banning the unreasonably thin from their show. The Madrid standard: a minimum body mass index of at least 18 — a measure of body fat based on weight and height. A reading of 18 is still underweight (18.5 to just under 25 is considered normal), but it is outsized among the ranks of supermodels, many of whom hover between 14 and 16.

While the just-completed New York Fashion Week carried on as usual, Milan Fashion Week officials were considering applying their own healthy standard for models.

It’s doubtful that models will be in dressing rooms bulking up with cheeseburgers or anything more caloric than watercress to “make weight,” like prizefighters and amateur wrestlers. But ending the parade of the starved and sickly seems like a fashion trend worth following.

...and while we're at it, let's get rid of those little equestrian pip-squeak horse racing jockeys. What kinda man weighs 110 lbs anyway? I say, let's get more John Wayne/Hoss Cartwright body-types out there on the track, you know, so the regular guys of the world can relate more to "the sport of kings."

article from today's USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-09-25-thin-models_x.htm

I read in People Magazine that a size zero is now big on Kate Bosworth because she has gotten so thin

"We know seeing super-thin models can play a role in causing anorexia," says Nada Stotland, professor of psychiatry at Rush Medical College in Chicago and vice president of the American Psychiatric Association. Because many models and actresses are so thin, it makes anorexics think their emaciated bodies are normal, she says. "But these people look scary. They don't look normal."

The promotion of the thin, sexy ideal in our culture has created a situation where the majority of girls and women don't like their bodies," says body-image researcher Sarah Murnen, professor of psychology at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio. "And body dissatisfaction can lead girls to participate in very unhealthy behaviors to try to control weight."

Girls today, even very young ones, are being bombarded with the message that they need to be super-skinny to be sexy, says psychologist Sharon Lamb, co-author of Packaging Girlhood: Rescuing Our Daughters From Marketers' Schemes.

It used to be that women would only occasionally see rail-thin models, such as Twiggy, the '60s fashion icon. "But now they see them every day. It's the norm," Lamb says, from ads, catalogs and magazines to popular TV shows such as America's Next Top Model and Project Runway. "They are seeing skinny models over and over again."

On top of that, gaunt images of celebrities such as Nicole Richie and Kate Bosworth are plastered on magazine covers, she says.

What worries Lamb most is that these images are filtering down to girls as young as 9 and 10. Some really sexy clothes are available in children's size 6X, says Lamb, a psychology professor at Saint Michael's College in Colchester, Vt. "Girls are being taught very young that thin and sexy is the way they want to be when they grow up, so they'd better start working on that now," she says."

Back
Top Bottom