Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Here's what ABC magazine show Nightline reported:

Quote:
Lonely and low on cash, many models fall prey to a tempting but dubious lifeline: party promoters, perhaps the biggest and best-kept secret of the modeling world.
"It's almost like a secret society, so if you're not in it you don't understand it," said a promoter named Isaiah.
It appears to work like this: Party promoters befriend young models. Nightclub owners pay promoters to bring models as young as 15 to their clubs to attract rich men. Rich men go to the nightclub because young models go there, then spend lots of money partying with them. The club owners pay promoters a cut of the nightclub's profit.
Some might liken party promoters, many of whom are college-educated, to pimps.
"You get paid based on your quality of what you can bring to the table," Isaiah said. Quality of what? "Girls."
Whatever they're called, they certainly make a lucrative living off the attractiveness of young women.

Pretty Girls, Risky Business: A Peek at Modeling's Dark Side - ABC News

Maybe not "many" models are drugged and raped, but there are a lot of horror stories out there. Kathy Ireland had to deal with a photographer who arranged for them to spend overnight in a hotel, alone with one bed. Kate Moss spoke about a photographer convincing underage girls to pose nude, but had no film in his camera. That's why I wonder who is supervising young models.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Well that's certainly unfortunate. That said, I don't think the fashion industry is to blame for the party promoters any more than the movie industry is to blame for the numbers of prostitutes (male and female) and homeless drug addicts in Hollywood. If you venture out on your own to make it big in an industry where the odds are heavily stacked against you, you need a contingency plan and sadly many of these young people don't.
As far as the photographers go, sure there are some scum bag photographers *cough* Terry Richardson *cough*. There are scum bags in every industry. The number of respectable, talented, professional photographers far outweighs the scum. It's not an epidemic

Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry I have to agree with Jive. There are creeps, pedos, and sadists in any profession. When I was in HS a teacher was arrested for peeping Tom. Now I work for a small, private college that thinks they are so high-and-mighty and we've had two professors terminated in two years for inappropriate relationships and abuse of power. The sad fact is you always hear that one in three women are sexually assaulted in some way, teen models or not.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Robin Lawley, the first "plus size" model hired by Ralph Lauren. She's 6' and a size 12. She starved herself down to 136 and was eating only an apple when she first started modeling, because she felt huge pressure to stay thin as a model. She gave it up when she went to school and gained 40 pounds. She's from Australia. Saw her on GMA this morning, she's beautiful.

I'm 5'10 and a size 12, and I'd never consider myself to be a "plus size". That's nuts

I Googled for other pics of her and saw some lingerie photos (which are amazing looking), which are most likely not nearly as Photoshopped as the Ralph Lauren ad. She's noticeably slimmer in this one.

Their famous overzealous Photoshopping of a different model

Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #110
ONE
love, blood, life

Doubt they would've slimmed her down in the Ralph Lauren ad. She's wearing baggy clothes. When models are slimmed down, it's almost always when they're wearing something form fitting; they'll pinch in the waist and hips a bit sometimes. The lingerie shots have definitely had post done to them. Everything does. It's just the way it is.

Something like this

probably had much less done to it, as it looks to be editorial of some kind. You can tell the difference in skin smoothness here and in the lingerie shots (realistic skin folds, more natural skin tone variation).

Good for her for landing the big gig though. She's hot
Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

Size can be really deceiving. I know someone size 12 and she is tall and bigger boned but IMO looks more slender and in better shape than I am (5'7" size 6) because she is a runner and in really good shape. I couldn't believe she was that size but she is.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Sorry I have to agree with Jive. There are creeps, pedos, and sadists in any profession. When I was in HS a teacher was arrested for peeping Tom. Now I work for a small, private college that thinks they are so high-and-mighty and we've had two professors terminated in two years for inappropriate relationships and abuse of power. The sad fact is you always hear that one in three women are sexually assaulted in some way, teen models or not.
I know this is a late response, but I just want to point out that even though sleazy people are in all professions, in the modeling industry, these sleazebags are well known yet nothing is done to stop them. That link to ABC News showed a video where a model said she was told by her agency that she had "to do whatever it takes" to get a job with a certain photographer. He ended up telling her to strip naked and give him a handjob, which she reluctantly did. And this photographer was well known in the industry. Also, Kathy Ireland reported that sleazy photographer to her agency about what he did, and they told her they will no longer send models to him. Within a week, they went back on their word and continued working with that creep. So that is what I mean that the modeling industry should be more responsible on how they treat their models.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Size can be really deceiving. I know someone size 12 and she is tall and bigger boned but IMO looks more slender and in better shape than I am (5'7" size 6) because she is a runner and in really good shape. I couldn't believe she was that size but she is.
I think that's true, I think it has to do with how the weight is distributed. Also just by being tall, it automatically makes it more difficult to fit into smaller sizes no matter how much you weigh. Of course there's also the craziness of sizing and vanity sizing.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #114
ONE
love, blood, life

Again, that's only 2 instances. I can name more sleazy teachers that have inappropriate relationships with their students.
I didn't watch the video, but it sounds like you're probably talking about Terry Richardson. I think most of the allegations are probably true (one look at his work will show that he doesn't shy away from the sleaze or nudity. Even his own), but there are models who have come forward to defend him. Two sides to every story and what not.
One point that's a little off about the story: models are rarely, if ever hired directly by the photographer. That's usually handled by the production agency and the client. And it's not like there's only the photographer and model on set. There are the photographers assistants, digital techs, wardrobe stylists and their assistants, hair and makeup people, prop stylists, producers, clients, etc, etc. it would be difficult to get away with much. It's possible she was on a creative for the photographer, but then, if she was already on set, there was no job 'to get'. It all sounds a bit sketchy
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah sleezy stuff happens everywhere. I work in IT and have a degree in business and I see/hear the same things. When we do sexual harassment training it's case study after case study of bosses demanding sexual favors (males and females).
Old 10-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:53 AM
this is a little different controversy than too thin

it involves all the phoney pictures because of retouching and photoshop

this girl's career may be ruined, without all the touch up, no one would look twice at her,

The Unretouched Images Victoria's Secret Doesn't Want You to See
Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've heard models feel a little insecure with their appearances because their profession is based on looks. I wonder if dealing with retouching makes them more insecure or if they shrug it off.

Either way, retouching is ridiculous because some models end up looking thin to the point that they should be hospitalized.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

The model's figure was hardly touched in those photographs! If that's what people have a problem with, then I don't even know what to say. Most of those adjustments were to compensate for the photographer's horrible exposures, to increase contrast (which is completely necessary in digital because digital files are inherently flat), fix colour tone, smooth skin tone, etc. Hardly anything was changed on the model's physique, save for a couple lines here and there. People who know nothing about how a photo is taken and handled in post shouldn't be commenting on this. "muscle tone has been removed from her abs" is completely untrue. this is ridiculous
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #119
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Either way, retouching is ridiculous because some models end up looking thin to the point that they should be hospitalized.
Over retouching is ridiculous. Retouching is necessary
Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:53 AM
she has lines on her face, she is a hag, not pretty like the magazine wants people to believe.