Madrid bans too-thin models from catwalk - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Heidi Klum is too fat to be a runway model

What a complete joke-look at her! She looks amazing. Who would even be looking at her height either?

bild.com

The new series of ‘Germany’s Next Top Model’ kicks off tonight on Pro 7 with Heidi as the host once again. She has been a supermodel since the early 90s and has cast her professional eye over young girls for three seasons, deciding who has the looks to cut it in the modeling world - and who doesn’t.

Now her fellow German fashion veteran Wofgang Joop (64) has launched an extraordinary attack on the successful runway star, saying she doesn’t have what it takes to be a top model herself.

“No way,” Joop (64) told BILD. “She is no runway model! Heidi Klum is simply too heavy and has too big a bust. And she always grins so stupidly. That is not avant-garde – that is commercial!”

Would the beautiful Heidi not be able to win her own show?

The designer is not the only person in the business to feel this way about the star. Model agency head Louisa von Minckwitz (45, ‘Louisa Models’) said: “Heidi has hips and voluptuous curves. Ideal measurements for a catwalk model are 87-58-88."

Heidi has 91-69-94.

Von Minckwitz also thinks Heidi is too short: “At 1.76 metres she is five centimetres too short. But, despite everything, she is a dream woman, an advertising icon and a superstar.”

Fashion guru Karl Lagerfeld (75) also snubbed the German model: “I don’t know Heidi Klum. She was never known in France. Claudia Schiffer also doesn’t know who she is.”

Old 02-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:57 PM
^

The only word that comes to mind (well, the only word I'll say or write) is bitchy.

I will say I agree her expression isn't typical of the pics of runway models I've seen lately. The typical expression is more "I-want-to-slit-my-wrists-and-die." Every one of them looks hideously unhappy and unpleasant.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Wow, the elite* of German stupidity in one article. And that one is written by Bild. It can't get better.

*Unfortunately, only a tiny sample.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
“No way,” Joop (64) told BILD. “She is no runway model! Heidi Klum is simply too heavy and has too big a bust. And she always grins so stupidly. That is not avant-garde – that is commercial!”
Oh, for bleep's sake.

Super-skinny runway models with blank, vacant expression seem like the norm from what I've seen. How can something be avant-garde if it is so commonplace?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #65
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

I think this issue is a hard one to tackle, from a feminists point of view. It boils down to control - women should be free to be any shape or size. As soon as you start imposing limits, be it 'not too thin!' or 'not too big!' or 'not too tall!' or 'not too short!' etc, you're just fanning the flames and tightening the grip. The runways don't need to sack thin models and condemn them for being thin... but hire just as many larger models in the first place.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #66
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
^

The only word that comes to mind (well, the only word I'll say or write) is bitchy.

I will say I agree her expression isn't typical of the pics of runway models I've seen lately. The typical expression is more "I-want-to-slit-my-wrists-and-die." Every one of them looks hideously unhappy and unpleasant.
Because those bitches are hungry.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
^

I looked up photos of his models on billboards and runways and that's pretty much the look he employs for his models as well.
Joop and Lagerfeld are two extremely excentric, beyond borderline crazy characters who you will hardly hear anything intelligent from.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

She does look really "commercial" in that pic. I'm not into modeling or fashion, to each their own. I do think that people tend to way overreact and let their emotions get in the way. It's a gazillion dollar fashion industry, not everyone is going to have what it takes to be on "top" but that's just the way it is. If they want rail thin girls with super human body proportions and vacant expressions on their faces...then I guess that's what they want. It doesn't really have any effect on me or my body image. I'm not sad and depressed because I'm "fatter" than them and can't be a model, nor do I expect the industry to change overnight and be accepting of "fat" people like me.

I just.don't.care
Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #69
Refugee

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by partygirlvox View Post
I think this issue is a hard one to tackle, from a feminists point of view. It boils down to control - women should be free to be any shape or size. As soon as you start imposing limits, be it 'not too thin!' or 'not too big!' or 'not too tall!' or 'not too short!' etc, you're just fanning the flames and tightening the grip. The runways don't need to sack thin models and condemn them for being thin... but hire just as many larger models in the first place.
I agree. Beautiful women come in all shapes, colours and heights.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
its crazy its crazy its all so fuking crazy and the world going PC mad these days I think by 2011 the world is going to be so fuked up that it might be a serious offense to smile to a stranger or speak at all for fuk sake like, these fuking 'anti-ad-da-da' plonkers are gettin on my little tits so much they thrive on being noticed for niddy biddy shit that seems way too trivial than not wearing matching bra and panties!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Well there is a no kissing zone now at a train station.

Warrington Bank Quay Station: 'No Kissing' Sign Put Up At Cheshire Stop | UK News | Sky News
Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
its crazy, its crazy, Im telling ya

everyone BAIL out now! please, save yourselves.

your kids are going to grow up in a world that will have them chained with limits.

I mean, there is a UK Haribo advert right? yep, great ad featuring family and son gettin dad to sign the confession for stealing some, then son sends in his little sister who USED to shout 'ALIGHT SUNSHINE!' before running up to him and saying other things, now they have CUT THAT SCENE AND THOSE WORDS for some reason and I BET people complained because 'sunshine' was pretty much used in dem British gangster movies so I bet its very un-PC these days.

doesnt stop you calling your colleague a plonker if you didn't like him thou, eh?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Well if he is one, he should be called one.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #74
pgv
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissVelvetDress_75 View Post
This is hilarious. I read somewhere that another station (in London I think?) has put up "We ENCOURAGE you to kiss!" signs in protest
Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:57 AM
I agree that it's sad that society puts such expectations on women, but I think it's wrong to try and control such things.

What if a woman is naturally very thing or she simply likes looking that way? Should she be forced BY LAW to gain weight if she wants to model?

I think the government restricting such things is ridiculous.