Madrid bans too-thin models from catwalk - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Old 09-26-2006, 08:50 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 08:58 PM
My favorite dressy pants are a size zero
I think the jeans I have on are a size 1...I'm not sure.

I just have a fast metabolism, you'd be amazed how much junk food I eat

However models who starve themselves skinny look unnaturally gross and make me sad.

U2democrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #32
Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 02:58 PM
I've been reading this post for days, and this week I've heard on the news that Medellin (Colombia) is the city with the highest rate (in the world ) of girls and young women who suffer anorexia and bulimia. Unfortunately that doesn't surprise me cuz Medellin has been know as a fashion city, and most of the colombian models are from there. it is already a public health problem.

Muggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:47 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 03:58 PM
Perhaps he was trying to be sarcastic rather than make a positive statement, but some of those people must have been traumatized by seeing a woman that size. They probably ran out screaming or something...

The Paris shows kicked off with organisers saying they would not ban skinny models from the runways and Jean Paul Gaultier weighing into the debate by hiring a 132-kilogram model.

In what seemed more of a nod to front-row guest, the burlesque artiste Dita Von Teese, Gaultier sent out the plus-sized Paris-based American model and actress Velvet d'Amour, 39, in a satin corset and negligee. The rest of his collection was on a "workout" theme, an athletic wear-inspired collection of silk track pants, hooded sweat tops and dresses.

MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:58 PM
From the Fantaisie de Lunch Lady collection.
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict
A model presents an ensemble by French fashion house Guy Laroche, during the presentation of its Spring-Summer 2007 ready to wear collection in Paris, Saturday Oct. 7, 2006

Old 10-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 12:58 PM
two images of different size women have been posted for us to view

each of these women are responsible for their size and health

because of what they choose to pick up with their own hand and put into their mouth (and bodies).

I strongly believe in the Body Mass Index for health reasons

I believe the big woman is in greater danger

I am not giving a pass to under eating.
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict
The point for me isn't who is in greater danger, and maybe that could be argued- that second model looks like she's starving to death. The point for me is more like..the second model is increasingly becoming the standard by which all women are judged, and not just in the warped world of modeling. So much so that the average woman is considered overweight in the eyes of many, and in the media in general. In Hollywood, and in everyday life.

Obviously a happy medium between those two pictures would be the optimum for health and appearance, but I have to wonder how many people would choose to be the second picture rather than the first (going just by weight, not face and all that).
Old 10-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
By the way that larger model- when she first started modeling developed an eating disorder. She used to eat 500 calories a day maximum and sometimes just two crackers a day.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Sales boom for size zero clothes
Last updated at 11:55am on 10th October 2006

Doctors are blaming the fashion industry for a sales increase in size zero clothes

Doctors today issued their strongest call yet for superskinny models to be banned from the catwalk as it emerged size zero clothes are enjoying a sales boom in London.

In an open letter to the British Fashion Council, 40 doctors and health professionals at London's biggest eating disorders clinic demanded a ban on "models who are clearly anorexic".

"There is no doubt that there is cause and effect here," said Professor Janet Treasure of the Eating Disorders Service and Research Unit at King's College London.

"The fashion industry showcases models with extreme body shapes, and this is undoubtedly one of the factors leading to young girls developing eating disorders."

The letter has been prompted by a debate on size zero models, which began in the Evening Standard and followed the decision by the organisers of Madrid fashion week to ban models with a body mass index below 18 - classified as underweight by the World Health Organisation.

Professor Treasure added: "The Spanish example is very sensible. Eating disorders go hand-in-hand with a range of other problems, including substance abuse, behavioural issues and self harm.

"If young girls are seeing these poor role models, they can develop habits that are very difficult to shift in later life."

The letter, printed below, calls for London's fashion and publishing industry to ban models deemed too thin by medical guidelines.

American size zero - equivalent to UK size four - is on sale in shops such as Miss Selfridge and Top Shop. Size zero trousers are for a 22-inch waist - the average measurement of an eight-year-old girl.

A shop assistant in Topshop said the size zero clothes, part of the chain's petite range, were selling very quickly. She said: "There are increasingly very, very thin women, who look as underdeveloped as pre-teens and they seem desperate to fit into the smallest sizes."

Caroline Williams, 27, a picture editor from Wapping, normally wears a size 6 or 8 yet she struggled to fit into size zero items on sale.

Ms Williams says she often gets abuse for her tiny frame and has even been asked if she has an eating disorder.

She said: "I'm naturally thin, but to think there are girls that want to get into clothes this small is madness. What happened to a size 12 being normal?"
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict
Senseless tragic death

Before her death last week from anorexia, Brazilian model Ana Carolina Reston was robbed of both her beauty and her strength by the disease, friends say.

Earlier this year, when she arrived at the Mexico City airport after a job in Japan, she was too emaciated and weak to carry her luggage, fellow Brazilian model Aliana Idibar, 21, tells PEOPLE in its new issue. "I helped her," Idibar says. "I was holding myself not to cry."

Once luminous, Reston had become a virtual skeleton. "The skin was gray. The eyes were sad and without light," recalls Estela Saenz, owner of a Mexican modeling agency, who last saw Reston at that time.

Still, the ambitious model continued to work, posing for a fashion Web site as late as Oct. 18. The next day she canceled a bridal magazine booking to enter a São Paulo hospital, carrying only 88 lbs. on her 5'7" frame.

Friends were grieved, but not entirely surprised, to learn that on Nov. 14 Reston, 21, had died from multiple organ failure caused by anorexia.

Reston's passing adds fuel to the outrage over too-thin models. "I understand that in the industry there is pressure to be skinny," says Gisele Bündchen, the Brazilian supermodel, who never met Reston. "But (this) is what happens when people take things to extremes."

In truth, Reston's illness was one more hardship in a life riven with them. Five years ago robbers stole everything from her impoverished family's rural home outside São Paulo. "From that moment, Ana Carolina had to work to help pay our bills," says her grieving mother, Miriam, 58, whose husband suffers from Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

Signed with Ford Brazil in her early teens, Reston never grew "tall enough for the (runway)," says Lica Kohlrausch, director of Brazil's L'Equipe agency, which took her on last year. She tried to compensate by losing weight, says Miriam. "She said, 'Mum, I will get thinner. I can work more if I'm skinny.' "

Her health declined, but Carol, as she was known, brushed off the concern of family and friends, many of whom donated blood during her hospitalization. There would be no saving her. Says Miriam Reston: "I want this to be an alert to other mothers."
Old 11-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #41
The Fly
Local Time: 07:58 PM
It's a sick, sick world we have here.

I'm even more disturbed by the emergence of anorexia fan-sites. That there are actually women who idolize dangerously skinny models and share tips on how to starve themselves more effectively.

Say what you will about Interference but our fetish rarely causes harm.
silja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict
That story reminds me of a friend I had in college. Her closest friends were too freaked out to even bring it up with her, instead they "prayed" for her. I said, no, there MUST be an intervention for this type of disease. This is a mental illness, it's not going to stop unless she is FORCED to get help, just like we FORCE schizophrenics to take their medications. It's NOT a choice, someone hurt her somehow and she's completely messed up. So I went to our director and told her she better do something. The best they could think of was to have ResLife kick her out of the dorms as a wake-up call to her parents. I'm not sure if it worked, since they were in complete denial the entire time, but unfortunately she was not a minor otherwise I would've called the Press and given them a nice segment on how upper-middle class parents neglect their daughters. I became friends with a girl she lived with after our time in the dorms, and this other friend decided to come live with us because so-and-so was so skinny the housemates (all nursing majors) knew her heart would stop and would not have it on their watches, especially after everything everyone had done to try to help her. I still check up on her on Facebook, because I know deep down one day she won't be there anymore....

This girl is/was a textbook anorexic. A high achiever, driven 110% at anything, not accepting anything less than perfection. Her dad was controlling and liked to ridicule his girls. If you couldn't tell she was anorexic just by looking at her (a walking skeleton), you'd know by how she talked obsessively about food, but at dinner just got a salad plate and pushed it around with her fork.

What a sad, disgusting waste of a beautiful, smart, talented human being.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #43
Local Time: 04:58 PM
This thread made me hungry
Billy Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #44
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Liesje
I went to our director and told her she better do something. The best they could think of was to have ResLife kick her out of the dorms as a wake-up call to her parents. I'm not sure if it worked, since they were in complete denial the entire time
This was more or less what the situation with my student who died of anorexia last year was like, except that she avoided her family by doing summer school so she wouldn't have to go home...I don't know that we've ever kicked anyone out of a dorm, but we can and do require obviously eating-disordered students to attend therapy as a condition of staying enrolled. Other than that though there really isn't much anyone can do, sadly--hospitalization and forced completion of an inpatient program can temporarily stave off the worst, but unless and until the person accepts that this WILL ruin their life if they continue to do it...and recognizes what an absurdly pointless waste that is...they'll simply resume the cycle once they're back out on their own. It is disturbing to think that this model's agents, photographers, stylists etc. didn't try to do anything, but then most coworkers, teachers, etc. of anorexics don't do much either, because they can't really. Photoshoot professionals are used to looking the other way and hauling out the airbrush, makeup, etc. to hide the signs of drug abuse and so forth, so that's probably how they tend to react to clearly anorexic models as well. I had an obviously anorexic employee for awhile back when I managed a bookstore in grad school, and there wasn't much I could do about that either, short of occasionally giving her the meaningful-look-accompanied-by-a-pointed-"Let-me-know-if-I-can-help" spiel. So long as it wasn't interfering with her work performance, I really had no grounds for pressuring her to seek help myself.

It's true that overbearing parent(s) who taunt or ridicule their children can play a role in this, but there are all kinds of ways parents can inadvertently give their children the impression they need to be "perfect" in some way to be loved, and not all of them need be that obvious...thinking back to a couple eating-disordered friends I had in high school and college, one came from a family where an emotionally disturbed youngest child ate up most of the parents' attention and all three of the others wound up having serious problems stemming from feeling unappreciated, while another had a neglectful (not cruel--just distant and disinterested) mother and a doting but nerdy father who only knew how to relate to her through intellectual stuff, and kind of withdrew when she became a teenager and far more interested in noncerebral stuff like boys and music. Regardless, both sets of parents--like my students' parents last year--were extremely worried and continuously begged their daughters to stop dieting, but full-fledged anorexics are very good at evading others' attempts to help, unfortunately. Of course no one eating disorder patient is "typical", and genetics does factor into it too (a family history of addictive or obsessive-compulsive behavior is another strong correlation), but not all parents of girls who develop eating disorders have a noteworthy history of picking on them or insulting their appearance.

A therapist I know who specializes in eating disorders (this was several years ago and before the proliferation of anorexia "fansites", so he didn't comment on that) told me that almost every severe anorexic he'd seen seemed to have read pretty much every autobiography of an anorexic out there, and seemed to draw perverse "inspiration" from them despite the authors' intents, gleaning "tips" from them and so perhaps the "fetishization" involved somehow extends past the fantasy image to the pathology itself--which is a truly disturbing thought, IMO. I read one of the more critically acclaimed such autobiographies myself after my student died last year and was struck, among many other things, by how much "magic thinking" was involved in creating then sustaining the author's disordered psyche...initially the notion that merely losing weight would somehow give her a classic supermodel look and win her lots of admiring friends, then eventually--and long after she consciously recognized she in fact looked grotesque--profound fear of remedying that by eating more, because of a conviction that her whole life would somehow collapse like a house of cards and leave her dowdy, fat, unloved and unhappy if she "let herself go" by breaking "discipline". The compulsive aspect couldn't have been more obvious, and clearly distinct from the more "typical" sorts of self-disparagement and preoccupation with failures to "measure up" that so many women seem to have.

I'm not sure how much deliberately incorporating more average-sized women in modeling would do to change things, though--part of the appeal of those more "ideal" images is precisely the escapist, wow-wouldn't-that-be-nice! aspect of them...but, perhaps it would be more reassuring for many women and girls to see average-sized women portrayed as glamorous, especially if they saw that men find them sexy too. But then again, this leads you back to the Well-wait-a-minute,-why-are-we-placing-so-much-value-on-embodying-physical-appeal-to-begin-with dilemma. A reasonably confident person ought to be able to look at pictures of "ideal" women or men without being deeply distressed by the idea that Nope I don't look like that, never will, and neither does my girlfriend/boyfriend. Trying to redress that problem by "supplementing" the ideal with the less-than-ideal still feeds into that whole Being-attractive-is-everything mentality, and I'm not sure whether the tradeoff ultimately works in anyone's favor.
yolland [at]

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:01 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
yolland, your posts are always so interesting and insightful.

as far as the compulsive thing you touched on- I don't know statistics but I've read that a large percentage of people with eating disorders are OCD to some degree, with literally dozens of daily rituals. so giving it up isn't just a matter of "eating a cheeseburger" or whatever a lot of guys in particular seem to think.

VertigoGal is offline   Reply With Quote