Madrid bans too-thin models from catwalk - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 05:16 PM
Clearly Spain hates freedom. This is a victory for the terrorists.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:01 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:16 PM
under this ban

which models would be banned.

a model 5 ft 10 ins.

weighing:

a. 100 lbs

b. 105 lbs

c. 110 lbs

d. 115 lbs

e 120 lbs

f. 125 lbs ?

Old 09-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

or perhaps G- all of the above.

They shoud make it 17 or 17.5 if they're gonna try the banning approach. Unless they want to ban like 90% of models.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
or perhaps G- all of the above.

They shoud make it 17 or 17.5 if they're gonna try the banning approach. Unless they want to ban like 90% of models.
all,
is right

most models are 5' 10"

and I would say many weigh less than 110 lbs, some much less

they are too thin

125 lbs is 17.9 BMI and would be banned in Spain (below 18 BMI)

18 BMI may be the wrong number to use
Old 09-19-2006, 06:56 AM   #20
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
India Adds Its Weight to Thin Model Debate

Reuters, Sep 19, 2006

NEW DELHI - India does not want waif-like young women sashaying down the catwalk and acting as role models for thousands of girls who are starving themselves to get svelte figures, the Indian health minister said.

The minister's statement comes after the unprecedented decision taken by fashion organizers in Madrid this month to ban underweight models from walking the ramp, saying they wanted to project an image of beauty and health, not a waif-like look. The Times of India quoted Anbumani Ramadoss on Tuesday as saying that many girls in India's cities and small towns were suffering from osteoporosis due to strict dieting. "India faces both problems: obesity and osteoporosis. Though many more suffer from obesity, the number of young girls, starving to become thin-like models, is also rocketing,'' the minister was quoted as saying.

The United Nations says India is home to 57 million of the world's 146 million malnourished children under the age of five. But at the same time the country's growing middle class is also grappling with lifestyle ailments typical in the West, from obesity to anorexia. "The Madrid decision, I hope, makes young girls focus more on being healthy and lean rather than starving and skinny,'' Ramadoss said.

Since 1994, when Indian models Sushmita Sen and Aishwarya Rai became Miss Universe and Miss World respectively, fashion shows and modeling have become the rage for millions of Indian girls. India plays host to several major fashion shows, and television channels regularly air footage of skinny, scantily clad models.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

people.com

Model Petra Nemcova knows what it's like to struggle to be a size zero in order to stay on the runway – and says she went on brutal diets and even took laxatives to stay thin.

"I went through so many diets in my life. I've been very, very skinny. I've been a size zero but I'm naturally more curvy," she tells PEOPLE. "I ate just vegetables, carrots, tomatoes. I went from a just-protein diet to just eating apples to eating no carbs. I took laxatives. I went through all of it just to be able to model."

Nemcova's comments come in the wake of a decision earlier this month by Madrid Fashion Week officials, who set off an international catfight by announcing that models participating in Fashion Week shows there had to meet a weight standard: Their body-mass index needed to be at least 18 – or 122 lbs. for someone 5'9".

Some fashion-world movers and shakers share their take on the new rules with PEOPLE:

• Designer Donatella Versace: "The house of Versace has always used women as opposed to girls in our fashion shows and ad campaigns. I have always preferred to work with models that have feminine curves over too thin models."

• Stylist Rachel Zoe: "I don't think they'll ever get banned. I think that as an industry we should promote healthiness. I think that there's a small grey area between being too skinny and sick versus being a thin person. I think if everyone looks to Kate Moss, I mean, she looks great, she's not too thin, she looks healthy."

• Designer Antonio Pernas: "I had to change the whole lot (of models in my show) in one day! (But) this industry sets an example to young women, so I'm not against the measures."

• Model Kimberly Stewart: Should the Madrid ban be adopted worldwide? "I think, yeah, I think it should. (The super-thin image) is not good for underage girls, I agree. In New York and Los Angeles it's the same."

• Designer Ben de Lisi: "I chose all my models because they are healthy and beautiful, and whether they are skinny or curvaceous, as long as they are healthy, they're on my catwalk. If they look beautiful and they look healthy and they're naturally thin, then they will go on my catwalk. Full stop."

• Actress Thandie Newton "Some women are just naturally very slim. I don't think that fashion necessarily promotes a very skinny look anymore. There are a lot of women in the public eye – and actors have a lot to do with that – who have a more curvy physique, (such as) Scarlett Johansson and Catherine Zeta-Jones, who are hugely admired by audiences. If anything, I think there's a wider range of body types now for fashion."
Old 09-21-2006, 04:03 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

• Stylist Rachel Zoe: "I don't think they'll ever get banned. I think that as an industry we should promote healthiness. I think that there's a small grey area between being too skinny and sick versus being a thin person. I think if everyone looks to Kate Moss, I mean, she looks great, she's not too thin, she looks healthy."

Ms. Heroin Chic herself? Sure, she's naturally that way but to me she looks sickly. I'd rather have Catherine Zeta Jones and Scarlett on the runway than her.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Well Kate Moss now compared to how she used to look isn't AS skinny, that's the only possible perspective I can view her statement in. I guess when you're a stylist to stick thin celebs (I believe she works with Nicole Richie just to name one), you start to think Kate isn't too thin.

I think it's unreal that Petra Nemcova did that and felt that pressure and thought she was too curvy to be a model. She is stunningly beautiful. Good for her for speaking out.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:18 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

from that new Red Independent

The Third Leader: Not too thin...
Giorgio Armani
Published: 21 September 2006

Ever since I started out as a fashion designer, I chose to use models who were on the slender side. This was because the clothes I design and the sort of fabrics I use need to hang correctly on the body. I want the dresses to seem to float and flow with the body.

Gianni Versace was a very different kind of designer. He used jerseys and chiffons, which needed a body of a certain shape to hold the fabric. He used more voluptuous models. The particular styles I designed were quite different, and this is why, maybe, I was regarded as being among those designers who used slim women as models.

But I do not feel responsible for setting a trend towards models who look anorexic. As so often in the fashion world, things have been taken to extremes. And unfortunately there are a lot of young women who never accept that they are thin enough - and this is an illness.

In my view, all women want to look much slimmer than they are, and this encourages them to be very careful about what they eat. But there is a similar issue at the other end of the scale: there are very few women who have just the right degree of voluptuousness to be pin-ups.

Most of the comment on this issue of anorexic models - like comment on anything - tends to exaggerate the problem. But the fact that we are dealing with the world of fashion, where so much is exaggerated anyway, means there has been a particular lack of balance in this discussion.

No one in fashion wants to really address this issue or take responsibility for the images they put out there as standards. Same goes for Hollywood.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:16 AM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 10:16 PM
What is attractive? Slim? Plump? It's a health and image issue that has changed with the times. Skinny used to mean poor, that's certainly not the case today in developed countries. Who hasn't heard the quote "you can't be too rich or too thin"?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:48 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.modellaunch.com/buzz/popnews.php?id=4003097

Update: In a major editorial today, Where Size 0 Doesn’t Make the Cut, The New York Times comments on the death of Luisel Ramos, a Uruguayan model who had been ordered to lose weight and died of heart failure after taking her turn on the catwalk. She reportedly had gone days without eating, and for months consumed only lettuce and diet soda.

According to Vivirlatino.com, The young Uruguayan model died of heart failure while participating in a fashion show during Fashion Week in Montevideo (Uruguay). The 22 year-old Luisel Ramos felt ill after walking the catwalk, fainted on her way to the dressing room and died in spite of the medical attention she received from a mobile hospital unit, sources told EFE. The doctors who treated her diagnosed her with heart failure. The young woman's father told police that the model had gone several days without eating.

Where Size 0 Doesn’t Make the Cut

Published: September 22, 2006

If fashion models were purebred dogs instead of underfed women, there would be an outcry over the abusive standards for appearing in shows and photo shoots. The prize for women who aspire to the catwalk is a ridiculous size o, though overachieving undereaters seem to be reaching for size 00, which invites further starvation, serious illness and worse.

If the industry needed a wake-up call, it got one last month, when Luisel Ramos, an Uruguayan model who had been advised to lose weight, died of heart failure after taking her turn on the catwalk. She reportedly had gone days without eating, and for months consumed only lettuce and diet soda.

Nevertheless, organizers of Madrid’s Fashion Week caught designer and fashionista scorn for banning the unreasonably thin from their show. The Madrid standard: a minimum body mass index of at least 18 — a measure of body fat based on weight and height. A reading of 18 is still underweight (18.5 to just under 25 is considered normal), but it is outsized among the ranks of supermodels, many of whom hover between 14 and 16.

While the just-completed New York Fashion Week carried on as usual, Milan Fashion Week officials were considering applying their own healthy standard for models.

It’s doubtful that models will be in dressing rooms bulking up with cheeseburgers or anything more caloric than watercress to “make weight,” like prizefighters and amateur wrestlers. But ending the parade of the starved and sickly seems like a fashion trend worth following.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:16 PM
I prefer girls with a bit of meat on em .
Old 09-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02
I prefer girls with a bit of meat on em .
Amen!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:17 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:16 PM
...and while we're at it, let's get rid of those little equestrian pip-squeak horse racing jockeys. What kinda man weighs 110 lbs anyway? I say, let's get more John Wayne/Hoss Cartwright body-types out there on the track, you know, so the regular guys of the world can relate more to "the sport of kings."
Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

article from today's USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...n-models_x.htm

I read in People Magazine that a size zero is now big on Kate Bosworth because she has gotten so thin

"We know seeing super-thin models can play a role in causing anorexia," says Nada Stotland, professor of psychiatry at Rush Medical College in Chicago and vice president of the American Psychiatric Association. Because many models and actresses are so thin, it makes anorexics think their emaciated bodies are normal, she says. "But these people look scary. They don't look normal."

The promotion of the thin, sexy ideal in our culture has created a situation where the majority of girls and women don't like their bodies," says body-image researcher Sarah Murnen, professor of psychology at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio. "And body dissatisfaction can lead girls to participate in very unhealthy behaviors to try to control weight."

Girls today, even very young ones, are being bombarded with the message that they need to be super-skinny to be sexy, says psychologist Sharon Lamb, co-author of Packaging Girlhood: Rescuing Our Daughters From Marketers' Schemes.

It used to be that women would only occasionally see rail-thin models, such as Twiggy, the '60s fashion icon. "But now they see them every day. It's the norm," Lamb says, from ads, catalogs and magazines to popular TV shows such as America's Next Top Model and Project Runway. "They are seeing skinny models over and over again."

On top of that, gaunt images of celebrities such as Nicole Richie and Kate Bosworth are plastered on magazine covers, she says.

What worries Lamb most is that these images are filtering down to girls as young as 9 and 10. Some really sexy clothes are available in children's size 6X, says Lamb, a psychology professor at Saint Michael's College in Colchester, Vt. "Girls are being taught very young that thin and sexy is the way they want to be when they grow up, so they'd better start working on that now," she says."