Lowe's Pulls Ads From All-American Muslim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I've never seen the show, but I think it's pathetic that they would pull those ads because of the "Florida Family Association". It's best to defer to them?

By Associated Press

updated 12/12/2011 6:46:51 AM ET

LOS ANGELES — Lowe's Home Improvement has found itself facing a backlash after the retail giant pulled ads from a reality show about American Muslims.

The retail giant stopped advertising on TLC's "All-American Muslim" after a conservative group known as the Florida Family Association complained, saying the program was "propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda's clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values."

The show premiered last month and chronicles the lives of five families from Dearborn, Mich., a Detroit suburb with a large Muslim and Arab-American population.

A state senator from Southern California said Sunday he was considering calling for a boycott.

Calling the Lowe's decision "un-American" and "naked religious bigotry," Sen. Ted Lieu, D-Torrance, told The Associated Press he would also consider legislative action if Lowe's doesn't apologize to Muslims and reinstate its ads. The senator sent a letter outlining his complaints to Lowe's Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Niblock.

"The show is about what it's like to be a Muslim in America, and it touches on the discrimination they sometimes face. And that kind of discrimination is exactly what's happening here with Lowe's," Lieu said.

The Florida group sent three emails to its members, asking them to petition Lowe's to pull its advertising. Its website was updated to say that "supporters' emails to advertisers make a difference."

The North Carolina-based Lowe's issued a statement apologizing for having "managed to make some people very unhappy."

"Individuals and groups have strong political and societal views on this topic, and this program became a lightning rod for many of those views," the statement said. "As a result we did pull our advertising on this program. We believe it is best to respectfully defer to communities, individuals and groups to discuss and consider such issues of importance."

The apology doesn't go far enough, Lieu said. The senator vowed to look into whether Lowe's violated any California laws and said he would also consider drafting a senate resolution condemning the company's actions.

"We want to raise awareness so that consumers will know during this holiday shopping season that Lowe's is engaging in religious discrimination," Lieu said.

Besides an apology and reinstatement of the ads, Lieu said he hoped Lowe's would make an outreach to the community about bias and bigotry.

Lieu's office said a decision was expected Wednesday or Thursday on whether to proceed with the boycott.

Lowe's said company officials are trying to make arrangements to talk directly to Lieu about his concerns and clarify the company's position.

Suehaila Amen, whose family is featured on "All-American Muslim," said she was disappointed by the Lowe's decision.

"I'm saddened that any place of business would succumb to bigots and people trying to perpetuate their negative views on an entire community," Amen, 32, told The Detroit News on Sunday.

Dawud Walid, Michigan director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said his group felt "extreme disappointment" at Lowe's "capitulation to bigotry."

Walid said he has heard expressions of anger and calls for a boycott by Muslims but said a key to resolving the Lowe's advertising controversy will be how non-Muslim religious leaders and others react to Lowe's decision.

"I will be picking up the phone tomorrow to some of our friends and allies to explain the situation to them," Walid said Sunday.

"Individuals and groups have strong political and societal views on this topic, and this program became a lightning rod for many of those views," the statement said. "As a result we did pull our advertising on this program. We believe it is best to respectfully defer to communities, individuals and groups to discuss and consider such issues of importance."

"views" on the topic of the existence of Muslims?

They're different than us and they smell funnie, am I right, Christians?

i think so long as they all appear on camera and renounce encroaching Sharia Law then there shouldn't be any problems.

Muslims are sneaky. They are even infiltrating our turkeys.

Halal Turkeys Are Tainting Thanksgiving, Says Pamela Geller -- Daily Intel

The Internet's most visible hater of Islam, Pamela Geller, is warning all Americans this Thanksgiving about a dastardly new force that's threatening the freedom of our holiday dinner tables: Butterball turkeys. According to Geller, in a column from The American Thinker, the turkey brand is forcing sharia law onto all of us by offering whole turkeys that are "certified halal." Geller is aghast: "In a little-known strike against freedom, yet again, we are being forced into consuming meat slaughtered by means of a torturous method: Islamic slaughter." Yet again!

:shame:

How do our Christian friends on this subforum feel about the show being aired in the United States?

there are Muslims on TV and yet you can't even say "Merry Christmas" anymore without getting a ticket!

how will i explain Islam to my kids? are they going to teach about Muslims in schools?

this raises too many troubling questions. it's an assault on my religious freedom.

How do our Christian friends on this subforum feel about the show being aired in the United States?

I really don't care. I don't watch much TV anyway.

If anyone has a problem with this show, they need to get a grip. Some Muslims can be quite friendly, and are not as inclusive as many seem to think. There are moderate and liberal Muslims out there.

there are Muslims on TV and yet you can't even say "Merry Christmas" anymore without getting a ticket!

how will i explain Islam to my kids? are they going to teach about Muslims in schools?

this raises too many troubling questions. it's an assault on my religious freedom.

Word.

Last month Anderson Cooper had two of the couples featured in "All-American Muslim" on his show, and at one point (see clip below) an audience member expressed exactly the same objection to the show that the Florida Family Association did. I can't help noticing a certain resemblance between this lady's presumptuous attitude that she knows everything there is to know (y'know, from reading a book or two) about how all "real" Muslims think and act (such that actual Muslims who don't fit her description aren't "really" Muslims) and the similar rationalizations Christopher Hitchens has offered for his focus on fundamentalist extremists as the definitive portrait of what "real" religious people are like. Other than that, she's a relatively polite paranoid xenophobe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K34NG2VR7dA&feature=relmfu

So I guess they're frauds and they're really extremist terrorists and TLC is in on some conspiracy to lull as all into a false sense of security.

I'm a Christian and I have zero issue with this show. I think it's tough for anyone of any religion to be labeled and/or discriminated against because of extremists within their religion.

god forbid we show most muslims living in america are just average people like you and me. yes they are extremely conservative types who would be way different, but it's like that with any religion, even christianity zomg!

Muslims are sneaky. They are even infiltrating our turkeys.

Halal Turkeys Are Tainting Thanksgiving, Says Pamela Geller -- Daily Intel

:shame:

I'm a vegan, so I have mixed feelings about this.

I disagree with her bigotry and her singling out of Muslims.

However, I agree with what she says about Halal. I think the Halal method of killing animals is evil, plain and simple. How can anyone, let alone a religion, justify purposefully bleeding an animal to death?

Of course, I also think that the barbaric way in which animals are handled before being slaughtered is also evil. And I also think the whole concept of murdering hundreds of millions of turkeys every year to celebrate "thanks" is ludicrous.

Having said all of that, I think Pamela Geller is racist, ignorant, stupid bitch.

Back
Top Bottom