London's burning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
22.20 The Telegraph's Josie Ensor reports she was chased by a gang of 30 men who pelted her with stones near Bethnal Green station, East London. She escaped down a side street. A gang of vandals broke the windows of an Islamic bank in Whitechapel but were chased off by a rival gang of 100 Muslim youths who are standing guard outside the East London Mosque. Local shops have been attacked.

Pure Clockwork Orange stuff.

The Telegraph said:
BBC's Sangita Myska reporting police are calling Lavender Hill area of Clapham, South London, a "no go zone." Dozens of masked youths are arriving in cars for looting. Police are said to be heavily outnumbered, lacking riot equipment and telling locals to "get out the area".

Geez, sounds like they're winning.

This isn't even remotely over.

If the army are put on the streets then Cameron has had it.

Because that never happened on Gordon Brown's watch!

wow, i remember the riots when i was a kid in Thatcher's Britain!

this is incredibly worrying, although a much needed wake-up call for the government! although violence is never the answer, maybe they will learn that they cannot continue screwing the ordinary people over, while the fat cats get fatter!

Well it certainly sounds like they don't have enough police. They seem spread far too thin.

On the Guardian they have discovered a leaflet being given out on how to avoid arrest for looting.

It's anarchy by all accounts, though the Turkish community seem to have the right idea apparently they all banded together and chased off looters from a Turkish supermarket.

the whole world is going up in flames right now...

Gosh, this is scary. Its a wonder how long this will go on and if it would spread to other countries.

This also makes me wonder: when Japan's economy faltered, there weren't any riots, correct? Heck, there certainly weren't any during the earthquake and tsunami.

What's wrong with the world?

(Sorry if I might derail the thread, but this has me thinking)

BTW, be safe all FYM Brits!

Sky saying they smashed up a Tescos in Ealing Broadway.

Maybe my moral compass is out of sync, but personally, I find this particular action hard to condemn.

Reporters also seem prime candidates for attack, I believe a number of the BBC reporter's have been attacked.

Fairly insane, it just seems very random violence. At home it's directed at something in Belfast like the 'other side' or state forces as such, but this seems everything and anything.

People trapped in restaurants with bricks coming through windows etc.

Reporters also seem prime candidates for attack, I believe a number of the BBC reporter's have been attacked.

Fairly insane, it just seems very random violence. At home it's directed at something in Belfast like the 'other side' or state forces as such, but this seems everything and anything.

People trapped in restaurants with bricks coming through windows etc.

Iv heard that there are riots in Belfast right now. Dont know if this is true or not, maybe you could confirm.

It's a difficult situation for the police.

They over-react, and then they're accused of police brutality.

Indeed part of the reason it kicked off is a young girl was allegedly injured by a police charge in Tottenham last night.

There police for a reason, it's what they sign up to do. To be honest the rioters a young thugs rioting in numbers thinking there something there not, trying to remake history. i.e the Toxteth riots 30 years ago. The police need to get off their lazy fat arses and do something. I bet my right arm the rioters dont even know the reason why their rioting.

Back
Top Bottom