London's burning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to the Telegraph, some riot organizers are calling for a stop:

14.06 Kate Day, our Social Media and Engagement Editor, is keeping track of the Blackberry messages doing the rounds at the moment. This is one of them, calling for an end to the violence:

Listen The Riots Are Pointless Now. That Huge Building Set On Fire In Croydon, A Single Dad And His 5Yr Old Son Lived There. The Little Boy Came Out Crying Holding His Dads Hand. All His Possessions Are Burnt, Money, Passports Etc. Your Ruining Lives. We Are Ruining Our Own Lives By Doing This.

BTW, the Telegraph is doing live updates on its website:

London and UK riots: live - Telegraph

what they are hoping to achieve by these means i do not know!

public opinion will have zero sympathy/tolerance - they're shooting themselves in the foot! (if ever there was a political/social reason behind any of this)

According to the Telegraph, some riot organizers are calling for a stop:

[/I]

BTW, the Telegraph is doing live updates on its website:

London and UK riots: live - Telegraph

That's a bit too literate compared to the messages they have shown earlier.

16,000 police apparently on the streets of London tonight according to Dave.

There's some sick clips on the BBC of girls justifying the looting, stating that they're getting their 'taxes' back, like they actually work and some younger ones saying they're showing the rich and the police that they can do what they want...of course the rich being small business owners and what not in their own community.

if this is a political protest, i could understand it more if they marched on parliament and government buildings...

it's terrible that they're trashing their own communities, and wrecking the lives of ordinary people...

maybe they want to be heard and have had to resort to extreme means? i mean, we've had peaceful protests in the UK til the cows come home, but do the government listen? course they don't!

i'm not justifying any of this violence btw, just thinking my way around it...

what they are hoping to achieve by these means i do not know!

public opinion will have zero sympathy/tolerance - they're shooting themselves in the foot! (if ever there was a political/social reason behind any of this)

There is no reason for this besides the same greed and moral corruption they claim against the very people they vandalize. :down:

Arrest the lot of them and toss them in jail. I got yo back, London PD! :wink:

There is no reason for this besides the same greed and moral corruption they claim against the very people they vandalize. :down:

Arrest the lot of them and toss them in jail. I got yo back, London PD! :wink:

i don't know Tiger Edge, things are pretty bad right now in the UK, especially with all the cuts... the poor and middle classes are struggling like hell... youth on these sink estates haven't got a hope in hell of making a decent life for themselves, and people are at breaking point... i think there is a lot of anger directed at the government right now... the British government does not appear to give a shit about the little people, it's all about big business and wankers oh, i mean, bankers

(no excuse for such violence and destruction though...)

I say Burn baby burn.

article-2023874-0D5B629200000578-128_472x496.jpg

It's certainly not a racial thing. To suggest that is utterly ridiculous.

It actually all kicked off as a racial thing. So to say its not racial just shows you haven't read fully into the situation. It all kicked off because a police officer shot dead a black man. His family wanted a peaceful protest, but gangs took it to violence and riotting.
Now its just turned into chaos, no one even knowing why their rioting. It's just ludacris.

are you sure it's not more class-based? wealth disparity in Britain is colossal, as it is over here ... maybe in the face of austerity, this is the response that was going to happen? certainly the lower-classes in Britain are going to be less white than the upper-classes, but maybe it's not about race so much as it is "race-d?"

of course, that's just a thought. i'm not british nor do i pretend to be.

but here's one article:

London riots: the underclass lashes out - Telegraph

are you sure it's not more class-based? wealth disparity in Britain is colossal, as it is over here ... maybe in the face of austerity, this is the response that was going to happen? certainly the lower-classes in Britain are going to be less white than the upper-classes, but maybe it's not about race so much as it is "race-d?"

of course, that's just a thought. i'm not british nor do i pretend to be.

but here's one article:

London riots: the underclass lashes out - Telegraph

Thats what there saying is the reason now why there rioting and looting. But the original violence was due to the fact of the black man being shot dead by the police officer unlawfully. That investigation is still taking place. But now there is no reason to why their riotin. Just the fact they want to cause as much disruption as they can.

Whatever the motivation, NOTHING can excuse or justify what is happening.

It actually all kicked off as a racial thing. So to say its not racial just shows you haven't read fully into the situation. It all kicked off because a police officer shot dead a black man. His family wanted a peaceful protest, but gangs took it to violence and riotting.
Now its just turned into chaos, no one even knowing why their rioting. It's just ludacris.

-they're = they are
-you're = you are
-ludicrous

just saw this update on fb: "Supporting the Met Police against the London rioters
News on lad robbed after being attacked update!. Twitter> Heather_n85 Heather Walker
@SeanBoscott hes in royal london hosp,malysian student,broken tooth+broken jaw,having operation soon""

No-one deserves that, an innocent man, walking innocently in the wrong place. Makes me so angry, how can anyone be so thoughtless. No compassion.

Police shot dead a black man who was armed but it has now been proven he did not discharge his weapon in spite of police saying he had fired it at an earlier stage in the investigation.

London police have a record of lying and they've been caught out yet again.

just saw this update on fb: "Supporting the Met Police against the London rioters
News on lad robbed after being attacked update!. Twitter> Heather_n85 Heather Walker
@SeanBoscott hes in royal london hosp,malysian student,broken tooth+broken jaw,having operation soon""

oh my god that poor kid!!! :sad:

Yes, so that lasted for about 15 minutes on Saturday night, and everything since has had nothing to do with it. Not a racial thing.

the war in Iraq had nothing to do with 911

one more thing you need to be better informed on.

You need to be better informed on the subject in hand.

And it did have something to do with the war in Afghanistan, so don't go blabbing until your right 100%.

That's like saying the war in Iraq/Afghanistan had nothing to do with 9/11. Which is obviously wrong. So you're wrong mate.

Not to derail the thread, but while Afghanistan was directly tied to 9/11, it has been shown that the Iraq war had nothing to do with it.

But I'm inclined to agree with Earnie. The rioting has devolved into something far removed from racism. It's mob mentality, groupthink, and just plain thuggery at its worst.

Back
Top Bottom