Limbaugh - "We don't have the money" - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo13 View Post
Most who join are'nt looking for war. They're looking for a chance in life. A way out of a place that offers little hope of a good job. And some proudly join to serve their country.

i think he's talking about the extraordinary amount of defense spending, not people who enlist.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #47
The Fly

Local Time: 12:28 AM
I stand corrected.

Thanx.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo13 View Post
Most who join are'nt looking for war. They're looking for a chance in life. A way out of a place that offers little hope of a good job. And some proudly join to serve their country.

I agree. And that's just why I'm saying the neo-con imperialists are exploiting them. Exploiting people who, as you say, are looking for a hope of a decent job, and people who want to serve their country.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I do agree with you that the left patronises the poor with welfare programs which are often counterproductive.
Well at least there is some agreement.

Though I would like to add that much of the social programs in Europe exist at the expense of military funding. If Europe wants to take up some of the slack so the U.S. can draw down I would be okay with that. If the U.S. cuts it's power too far there is a risk that the dictators of the world will be enboldened. Whatever belief you have about statist Americans, dictators are the true statists and their leverage over the people is such that they don't have to address opposite opinions. They can just put people with opposite opinions in jail.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

In principal, I actually agree with the Republicans on the stimulus and on the efficiency (or rather the lack of efficienty) of government programs. I just have a feeling that this stimulus is going to waste a lot of money more than anything.

However, the reason I find myself opposing the conservative position is because of the spirit of the position. I find that when you peel back the layers on the standard conservative position on fiscal issues and government, I find at root a repugnant attitude towards the poor, which I cannot stomach.

Conservatives tend to take the position that the poor are bad people (otherwise they wouldn't be poor, duh. . .) and thus we do not have a responsiblity to help them since they could help themselves but have chosen not to. I believe someone characterized the homeless for example as people with addictions etc and thus that is why they are homeless. They completely neglected to mention that many homeless people suffer from mental illness, and THAT is why they are homeless.

In fairness, I'd suggest that most of us liberal or conservative really don't care that much about the poor and it informs our positions. Conservatives blame the poor for the problems of poverty thus freeing them from the responsibility of caring for them, while liberals push the responsibility for caring for the poor on to the government so they don't have to worry about it. In either case, the poor are no longer MY problem.

It's sad.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:28 AM
I think Sean's post is a good assessment and pretty much my opinion also.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Though I would like to add that much of the social programs in Europe exist at the expense of military funding.

Not nice to point that out. Or the fact that, because of Europe's negative population growth and aging population, in the future those generous social welfare programs (that we Americans should all be so envious of) will only continue by expanding the workforce through massive immigration. Which, of course, is already taking place.

It's just not nice to point that out.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
Well at least there is some agreement.

Though I would like to add that much of the social programs in Europe exist at the expense of military funding.
Imagine that, spending money on people instead of on a wild goose chase in Iraq. Yeah over here, we're feeling pretty bad about that folks!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #54
you are what you is

social programs in Europe exist because we pay more tax
can't say I mind
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #55
Refugee

Gibbs: Deficit won't hurt plan to cut red ink

Quote:
President Barack Obama's budget would generate deficits averaging almost $1 trillion a year over the next decade, according to the latest congressional estimates, significantly worse than predicted by the White House just last month.

The Congressional Budget Office figures, obtained by The Associated Press Friday, predict Obama's budget will produce $9.3 trillion worth of red ink over 2010-2019. That's $2.3 trillion worse than the White House predicted in its budget.

Worst of all, CBO says the deficit under Obama's policies would never go below 4 percent of the size of the economy, figures that economists agree are unsustainable. By the end of the decade, the deficit would exceed 5 percent of gross domestic product, a dangerously high level.

The latest figures, even worse than expected by top Democrats, throw a major monkey wrench into efforts to enact Obama's budget, which promises universal health care for all and higher spending for domestic programs like education and research into renewable energy.

The dismal deficit figures, if they prove to be accurate, inevitably raise the prospect that Obama and his allies controlling Congress would have to consider raising taxes after the recession ends or paring back his agenda.

But without referencing the figures, Obama insisted on Friday that his agenda is still on track.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #56
She's the One

Local Time: 11:28 PM
How do Obama's deficits compare with Bush's?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #57
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
How do Obama's deficits compare with Bush's?
You're free to Google the differences.

Keep in mind the current administration's prediction of GDP growth in the next few years, which isn't supported by many economists. And also over $1.5 trillion in savings of not continuing the surge in Iraq until 2019. Wasn't this administration supposed to end the sleight of hand in budgets?

President Obama Set to Exceed President Bush’s Deficits � The Foundry
Old 03-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #58
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
You're free to Google the differences.
But what if I'm lazy and really was asking and not being a smart ass?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #59
She's the One

Error 404
Old 03-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #60
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
But what if I'm lazy and really was asking and not being a smart ass?
Sorry about that! I blame the snarky reply on march madness. My bracket got busted up a little last night.