License Plate Proposed To Honor KKK Leader - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:51 AM
It's people like these, who think nothing of how African-Americans were hurt by the KKK, and are still haunted by it, that make me ashamed to be an American.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
has a

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
It's people like these, who think nothing of how African-Americans were hurt by the KKK, and are still haunted by it, that make me ashamed to be an American.
It would be hard for my opinion of Mississippi to get any lower.
I briefly will set foot there in May, so I may be surprised.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #18
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:51 AM
Wasn't a bad place to grow up at all, other than the lousy schools (the economy is perpetually awful, so longterm job prospects are too, but as a kid you're not worrying about that). Race and certain class divides can be in-your-face in a way they aren't in most of the country, though as a childhood friend of mine wryly says, knowing upfront who's got a problem with you means fewer nasty surprises from people you only thought you could trust. People really do know and help their neighbors, that's not just a stereotype, and there's an irreverent droll humor and lack of pretentiousness I sometimes miss very much, not to mention the food and the music and the accents. There are, of course, people who can't wait to escape and never look back once they do, but there are people in that situation everywhere.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:25 AM   #19
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:51 AM
you miss the accents? i'm so sorry, yolland
Old 02-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #20
Forum Moderator

Well okay, rural Delta accents, like where I grew up. The coastal accents are nice too. Not so fond of the central MS (Trent Lott-type, for lack of a more prominent example) which is harsh and clippy and lacks the warm lilt. TBH I no longer remember clearly what the eastern and southern accents sound like, and they may no longer be so distinct, anyway. It used to be that if you were from MS you could tell instantly which quadrant of the state someone was from by hearing them say a few words. A lot of the South was like that. Not as much these days, though the drift is slower in rural and poorer areas, which would be most of MS.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #21
Forum Moderator

Associated Press, Feb. 15
Quote:
Asked about the NAACP's stance [denouncing the proposed plate] Tuesday, [MS Gov. Haley] Barbour replied: "I don't go around denouncing people. That's not going to happen. I don't even denounce the news media."

Asked to clarify what he thinks is not going to happen, Barbour said he believes lawmakers won't approve a specialty license plate depicting Forrest. "I know there's not a chance it'll become law," Barbour said.
No one's asking you to denounce "people," dude. Just the divisive old thinking that says white dignity and black dignity are mutually exclusive. If you had an inclusive vision of who "the people" of your state are, you wouldn't have a problem seeing that.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland
Indiana, where I live now (grew up in Mississippi) had 26,672 troop deaths in the Civil War (all causes). Not sure where exactly that ranks once total populations by state are taken into account, but it's definitely up there. Yet the kind of preoccupation with it I grew up around is completely absent here; sure they study it in school like everyone else, but no one goes around thumping their chests about all their Union dead and constantly clamoring for more monuments and other public commemorations of the war. That's the past, it's over, why dwell on it?--that's their attitude.

Not saying there aren't understandable reasons why Southerners (white and black) would be more preoccupied with that history in various ways, but it's not because of war death tolls.
There are a fair number of civil war monuments up here in NW Indiana, but that wasn't your point, just thought I'd share. They're pretty nice, a lot of them forts turned into other buildings and such. From a historically-minded perspective, I enjoy having them around.