Learning from the Sin of Sodom - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Didn't really want to rehash the entire history of global Christian philanthropy

Lazy.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
we can all absolutely stand and applaud the relief work done.

but one wonders, where were the Christians when AIDS was killing gays, Haitians, and IV drug users in the 1980s?
They were telling us we were getting our 'just desserts' for being gay: they suffered -- and still suffer, in my never to be humble opinion -- from the 'Those People Disease'.

"we're not like those people! They're sick, we're perfect."
Until their friends and relatives became the 'those people'.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:38 AM
When I (indirectly) worked for World Vision in Australia they said it was founded by a priest (or pastor) who spent time in Vietnam sometime in the 1960s and then thought of how to provide more effective help. The organisation now still works in his spirit, and still identifies as a Christian based NGO, but it's no part whatsoever in their work. Neither in who the support, nor in who they employ or who supports them.
I wouldn't support any organisation that at the same time tries to teach any certain religion (or non-religion for that matter) to those people, or is otherwise engaged in the kind of missionary work that has gone on for so long.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I wouldn't support any organisation that at the same time tries to teach any certain religion (or non-religion for that matter) to those people, or is otherwise engaged in the kind of missionary work that has gone on for so long.
But I would argue, and they would too, that the work they do is exactly that; promoting their beliefs through action.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:38 PM
As long as it's through action, and the "action" isn't just a cover for "spreading the word". I've seen both, that's why I'm on the fence...
Old 04-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelynIris View Post
But I would argue, and they would too, that the work they do is exactly that; promoting their beliefs through action.
Sure, but there is a difference between such groups that go there with the bible (or whatever (non-) religious text) in their hands, and those who just go there to help. They don't have to deny their religious origins or anything, but the good work shouldn't be the cover up for any missionary work.
At least not those groups I would support.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelynIris View Post
They can argue it any way they want; a large proportion of them still come with a plate in one hand and a Bible in the other. Maybe it is much more subtle than 300 years ago, but it still happens and I find it terribly insulting and distasteful. And yes, I have had personal experience with this; you grow up in a war zone and suddenly the evangelicals and Jehovahs and Mormons descend upon you in droves. And it isn't just to feed and clothe you either.

I think there is something extremely exploitative in targeting people in their darkest, worst hour when they are vulnerable. There are religious organizations like Vincent mentioned that do work on very secular grounds and are to be commended. The other ones I have little respect for and truly believe that historically are responsible for a lot of ills that continue on in this world to this day.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

there's a reason why that the Mormon missionaries are found in the roughest neighborhoods in DC. why aren't they in Upper NW or Georgetown or Dupont?

however, if we are to take, say, Bono as a model of someone who does action motivated by faith, i have absolutely no problem with that. and neither does the Obama administration, which seems to be just as comfortable with faith-based organizations receiving government $$$ for charity. that's more than i'm comfortable with, but having seen what Catholics can do, for example, with soup kitchens and clothing drives, i'm willing to step back and let them do their job.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Well, it's not like American Christians haven't been doing these things for hundreds of years through missionary work, clothing collections, The Salvation Army, monetary donations and so on. But, if in a computerized world it's becoming more organized... great.
Agreed and also Christians from around the world, have done wonderful work in aiding the poor and sick. I forgot to add, everyone else who has done something to help another. It's not just Christians. But, good hearted people who truly care. Make our planet a better place to live.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Agreed and also Christians from around the world, have done wonderful work in aiding the poor and sick. I forgot to add, everyone else who has done something to help another. It's not just Christians. But, good hearted people who truly care. Make our planet a better place to live.

I agree, really doesn't matter if your motivation is Matthew 22:39, the Golden Rule or some other variation. Applying it is what counts.