Kony 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Globo14

Refugee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

Unless you live under a :censored:ing rock, you've heard of Kony 2012 in the past few days. So I won't go into any details.

When you watch the video, you notice that Bono is listed as one of the 20 celebrities listed to contact about this. Not surprising, really.

You can contact him, or any of the other 19 celebrities and/or 12 "policymakers" here.

Invisible Children | Kony2012

I hope it's acceptable to post here, and I'm imagining that general discussion on the topic would go into Free Your Mind.

I see this was moved. I guess my original intentions were to discuss the Bono part of it, but whatever works is fine.

Has Bono tweeted or posted or otherwise personally announced anything about this campaign, or is it just that he's someone viewers are being urged to contact?

E6vzv.png

there's a bono part in this other than his name?

i'd have assumed this was a joke thread about how any minor mention of u2 deserves a mention on the forum.
I don't really know. There's not much else going on here right now, anyway. I didn't think that posting it was that big a deal. There's been many other threads with less significant information.

He's listed on the website as one of the pop culture icons (I've already forgotten how they're labeled on that site), along with such important luminaries as Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber, and you can send them a message about .... this.

I went from not knowing what the hell everyone was going on about yesterday to reading way too much about it today.

And then one of the filmmakers went and called himself the son of "Oprah, Steven Spielberg and Bono" (or something to that effect) on an interview on NPR, I think it was.

This whole thing - from the campaign itself, the organization, to the OMG SAVE AFRICAN KIDS to the internet mockery its become - leaves a really sour taste in my mouth.

"But ... but .... awareness!" Yeah. Great. Make sure you know what you're actually spreading "awareness" of. Apparently you're not going to get the facts from this campaign. And I'd be very skeptical of giving them any money, because apparently it would probably just go to making another film.

After all this stuff, I'm honestly curious if he even knows he's being lumped in on this website.

Fuck :( it was 5:47am. I just woke up

Now I feel like one of the idiots on my Facebook. Thanks cobbler

There are better ways to help Africa than giving these people money.

Maybe providing a more compelling reason not to help in this istance, if one were so inclined, would be a better argument.
He's a despicable human being. I can't see a reason not to plaster his face across the world and bring him to justice, finally.

Because plastering his face across the internet is doing absolutely nothing to bring him to justice

Invisible Children's proposal is to support the Ugandan national military to fight the LRA. But Uganda's military is corrupt and guilty of many of the same crimes as the LRA. Plus, most of the LRA is no longer even in Uganda.

Plus the US already has people in the area working to find him. What difference does it make if a bunch of feel-good-activists on facebook know about him?

The whole 'campaign' feels more like a personal, glory hounding vendetta than anything else

well it's raised awareness among my teenagers that's for sure... maybe that's all it's about?

we've known about Kony and LRA for years, but it's completely new to my kids - my daughter saw posts about the video on youtube and asked me what it was all about. i hadn't seen anything on this campaign before then, but it was great because we were able to talk about it...

i don't see anything wrong with young people taking an interest in the situation - they're so distracted with all kinds of crap these days, it's nice to see them suddenly focus on something important actually [/end boring mum talk] lol

eta: thinking about it, when i was their age, i remember being really taken by all the images and media focus on the famine in Ethopia - that really got to me... and maybe the fact that this is about children, like them, will help young people see outside their own comfort zone a bit more??

Talking about it is all fine and good (And probably the only good thing to come of this)

But when IC is asking for $30 donations, it becomes a little less benign. and the angle of their campaign makes no sense at all "make kony famous so he'll be brought to justice". People who are more qualified are already working on it. Sounds like they want to make themselves famous

i think it's really simplistic how it's been presented, but it's getting everyone talking about it though...

i have no clue how IC can translate it into action other than awareness raising though...

a friend who lives in Uganda has seen US special forces on the ground in recent months anyway.. i would NOT be happy for it to turn into a US imperialistic intervention and think it would be better if other countries/authorities were also involved tbh... also very concerned about oil interests as well...

yeah my daughter was really keen to donate and buy the action pack, but i explained why we wouldn't be doing that LOL

I was at a talk by the organisation a few years ago. The ego of the founders and organisers on display was fairly distasteful. It generally came across that they were more interested in funding a lavish jet setting lifestyle and being able to fund their Hollywood style documentaries. The camera barely ever leaves their own faces.

It's a worthy issue, but the manner of the promotion and those promoting it leaves a lot to be desired.

Invisible Children Funded By Antigay, Creationist Christian Right � SpeakEasy

And also ...

ONE | Bono comments on Invisible Children’s Kony 2012 campaign

Maybe I'm projecting a bit, but his comments seem a little vague (awareness is good, brilliant campaign - which, obviously, it is - and makes note of the differing opinions). I think that's smart.

I think I heard that Edun had worked with IC before, and that disappoints me a bit if the first link I posted is true, but I can't say as I was ever expecting Bono to come out and be all "Don't support this!"

Back
Top Bottom