KIVA - Have you heard about this amazing project???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vest

Refugee
Has anyone out there in U2 land heard about this loan project called KIVA??? I was lucky enough to be channel surfing late last night when I came across it on PBS's Frontline World series. Of all the help Africa projects I've heard of this one seems the most personal. A loan of as little as $100 can change a whole community's existence...and it's a loan. So far the payback rate is 100%!!!!!!!! This is a project that is worth all of you checking out -seriously. The minute I can actually use my credit card I will be looking for someone who I would happily loan a couple of hundred dollars to. Check into it and see what you think. As of today the website was temporarily shutdown due to overload because of the PBS documentary. It should be up soon so please check it out.

I wasn't aware of this project specifically, although I have heard of organizations that provide small business loans to Africans in need, and that they generally have great success. This sounds like something tangible that can be done by people here who are wishing they could do more. Thanks for posting, I'll be sure to check it out.

Only 24 people have checked this post out and it seems like it will fade on to page 2 very soon - to "Vintage Punk"...thanks for the reply.

I'm not quite sure how this works :huh: I'm terrible when it comes to finances...I don't quite get any of it.

Anyway, is it anything like the Grameen Bank? That was a brilliant idea, and that bank is badass. :up:

Harry Vest said:
Only 24 people have checked this post out and it seems like it will fade on to page 2 very soon - to "Vintage Punk"...thanks for the reply.

I know. Although I see there have been a few since me.

I guess it's like maycocksean was saying in another thread, if there's not the potential for argument, it largely gets ignored. :(

Harry, do you have the url?

I'm sorry, but it's against forum policy to post links to sites whose m.o. is to collect money, regardless of purpose. Occasionally at their discretion the admins may temporarily "adopt" a particular cause (e.g., tsunami or hurricane relief) and feature donation links for that on the Interference main page. But it is not OK for individual members to randomly post links soliciting donations. Actually, you're not supposed to create threads for the purpose of highlighting your own preferred charities/nonprofits, either.

If you Google for this organization you will find it quite easily. There is also a Wikipedia page on it. :)

Last edited:
yolland said:
I'm sorry, but it's against forum policy to post links to sites whose m.o. is to collect money, regardless of purpose. Occasionally at their discretion the admins may temporarily "adopt" a particular cause (e.g., tsunami or hurricane relief) and feature donation links for that on the Interference main page. But it is not OK for individual members to randomly post links soliciting donations. Actually, you're not supposed to create threads for the purpose of highlighting your own preferred charities/nonprofits, either.

If you Google for this organization you will find it quite easily. There is also a Wikipedia page on it. :)

Thanks for the info, Yolland. :) Addmitedly, I haven't checked out the URL just yet, but if it's all that it promises to be, I don't see the harm of posting this. Uninterested parties aren't forced to click on it, and it's supportive of a cause that's dear to U2 - and isn't that what we're all ultimately here for? I've seen many other African actvism/support urls posted throughout the forums.

I stumbeled upon KIVA.org yesterday and I was totally not surprised to find a U2 community there!

Great idea to have a website like this. The U2 fans seem to lend some money for each concert they visit. This sounds like a great idea so I'll post in the tour forum as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom