Kids Today- Rudest In History?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
'The kids are to blame'. 'The parents are to blame'. You're all missing the point.

The neo-liberals have deliberately created a society based on workaholism and where career advancement and money have replaced spiritual values. This is in order to keep people enslaved and not question the system.

um...:huh: I really hope you are joking? or maybe i just dont get what you mean.

are you saying that because people are less religious, that this somehow makes them ruder?

What exactly are spiritual values?

i think FG is right in that success absolutely obsesses the middle classes of most Western societies. there are good reasons for this, imho, but i also think that some of the results of such an obsession with education and advancement are precisely what are being talked about in this thread.

i think FG is right in that success absolutely obsesses the middle classes of most Western societies.

Oh, I agree with this part, I just haven't a clue as to what neo-liberalism has to do with it...

I know workaholics and people obsessed with wealth and success from all walks of life, political leaning, religion, etc usually have nothing to do with it...

In fact I would think if anything one could argue that those obsessed with wealth would probably lean a little more right :shrug:

Neoliberalism is the philosophy that the free market bottom line rules all so is the fundamental driver behind the corporate culture we live in.

Yeah, it's a term I don't hear used much in the US political realm(and I never heard it used in any of my economic classes in college), so I did a little research, and it looks as if it's purely an economic philosophy one that from what I've read US Republicans embrace. Which makes the term even more confusing :lol:

So I apologize for my earlier comments FG.

'The kids are to blame'. 'The parents are to blame'. You're all missing the point.

The neo-liberals have deliberately created a society based on workaholism and where career advancement and money have replaced spiritual values. This is in order to keep people enslaved and not question the system.

"Neo-Liberals"?????

How about the Buisness right i.e. The corporate right

what about me? :wink:

funny how the slightest use of the word "liberal" in what may seem to be a negative way can make some people instantly defensive :lol:

Yes, you too...

Well I've heard the term used in a different way(a variation of neo-con), and apparently those individuals didn't know what the term meant either...:lol:

I saw this story and thought it was kind of relevant.

A GROUP of Leaving Cert students went on a rampage through Temple Bar after their Graduation Mass on Sunday.

Gardai were forced to draw batons after dozens of teenagers from a private school flooded the party area, causing mayhem.

The students -- some of who were under 18 -- had attended a Mass to mark the end of the school years just hour early.

The Herald understands that they all came from an exclusive fee-paying school in South Dublin, and that they were still wearing their school blazers.

Gardai have confirmed that a public order incident took place at around 11.40pm on Sunday.

Officers from Pearse Street Station were called in for back-up after the scuffles reached almost riot proportions.

A nightclub worker who witnessed the incident told the Herald: "I've never seen the gardai have to draw batons in Temple Bar before."

The source described seeing up to 60 young people arriving in Temple Bar in a loud and boisterous manner.

He explained: "About a dozen or so gardai had to respond to what we were later told was not the first incident of the night and apparently is an annual occurrence."

Cover

Tourists and other club-goers were left running for cover as the students got out of hand.

"One was taken away in front of us and it took four gardai to take him down and get handcuffs on," said the witness.

The school in question is among the most prestigious in the country and charges hefty registration fees.

The Herald understands that the students had attended a sixth year Mass on the southside of the city at 12 noon on Sunday and went partying afterwards.

The gardai spokesperson said the incident is now dealt with from their point of view.

Gardai forced to draw batons on exam revellers - National News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

^ that's news?

sounds like they are just progressing into typical U K football hooligans. :shrug:

You must have only skimmed the article.

UK football hooligans are almost uniformly from working class or unemployed backgrounds. I make no value judgement about why this is the case.

It is made clear that these kids were attending a very posh school, so it chimes in with what Irvine was saying.

Secondly, - and granted, you wouldn't have been aware of this - rugby, not football, is the favoured sport of Dublin upper middle class schools.

Thirdly, Dublin is not in the UK.

A culture of having a few beers after games is traditionally part and parcel of the schools rugby ethos, but actually starting a mini-riot just because it's the last day of school is not.

For all the workaholism that supposedly exists I sure see a ton of immature, lazy kids with these inflated entitlement complexes thinking they deserve NOW everything their parents have worked decades to build.

Several years ago a family friend was talking to my mum and said the same things about her kids. Her kids are my age (ie., well into their 40s). I don't think the "entitlement complex" is just starting, I think each generation sees younger generations as feeling more entitled than they did.

But seriously, kids these days have it sooooo easy! When I was a kid I had to walk six miles to school each day -- uphill, in the snow, barefoot! -- both ways! ;)

(we need a grumpy old man/woman smilie :yes: )

But seriously, kids these days have it sooooo easy! When I was a kid I had to walk six miles to school each day -- uphill, in the snow, barefoot! -- both ways! ;)

I was just talking to my parents over dinner about how the economy is effecting young people today, and how this is the first time many people will be experiencing hardship as the U.S. had a good economy for a long time.

My parents think people 40 and younger need to learn how to make sacrifices, something not too many ever did. When my parents were young, it was very common for families to ration food, divide clothes between the kids, etc. Then again, my parents grew up in the 40's and 50's when large families were common and there weren't too many tech gadgets that we have now back then (as in the cellphone, the computer, cable TV, iPods, etc.).

This economy is going to define my generation and the younger ones. Let's see if we can compare to those who came of age during the Great Depression.

When my son was a child, we had him take martial arts. This help to reinforce that politeness was a great strength. Not a weakness. These classes also, help him in school. Thus, giving him to ability to "zone out" the others, who were goofing off in class and to focus on the task at hand. The result, good grades.

I do believe this begins at home. If the parents are polite and respectful of others, so will the children. You are their best example.

Great Post A stor ^^

I blame the parents and i blame all these liberal governents

Parents should be allowed to discipline their children i.e. a smack on the bottom, a child would know they have done wrong. Children are given too much freedom at such a young age. I was never allowed to hang about the street at 10/11 without an adult being around. My mum always wanted to know who my friends were and try and meet their parents to see if they were bad apples or not and in most cases she was right.

The parents these days dont care at all. They teach their kids no values and the idea of aspiring to be someone or something is non-existant
And the goverments, oh lets see, the have stripped teachers of all the authority they had. If a teacher even raises their voice to a child there would be a law suit pending

Oh and today, a kid asked me for 20p. I carried on walking and ignored him to which he responded "fucking arab"

Most of the kids in the UK should really be put down

Of course our childrens attitudes and values are going to change, because society has changed in a big big way. 40 years ago not many people had cars, tv, lots of toys or much money. We had to wait months sometimes even years for new things, kids got hand me down toys, hand me down clothes, families spent more time together because there were no other distractions. Kids were outside, they played together, they made things from scrap and nothing to play with.

I think those kids who are now parents felt for some reason they "missed out" Kids get everything today. We are saturated 24/7 with advertisements for everything under the sun. We no longer understand the 'wait and save' process but just get more credits cards or loans to buy more things. Kids are making their own tea because mum and dad are either working overtime, or on the internet, or playing video games.

We eat shitter food, which is a big cause of a lot of problems both physically and mentally (they REALLY need to look into food additives for a lot of children's behaviours) we don't have enough time to do everything, kids are either given everything to shut them up, or denied everything because the parents can't do it, and are totally selfish.

I see them all at school. Kids are worse because honestly, parents are worse. Not all of them, there are some great kids, and you can see who raises them.

Back
Top Bottom