Kids Today- Rudest In History? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:52 PM
As ironic as this statement is, generalities don't generally work too well.

I'd say the biggest think I've noticed is that parents are more vehemently defensive of their children. Many parents in this generation and in generations past have had the blinders on about their kids, but they're more vocal now than ever.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Accountability to whom?
Themselves, their boss, their professor, their project group members, co-workers.....anyone in general. Not just "I can do whatever I please whenever I please because mommy doesn't care"

Old 05-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 02:52 PM
Quote:
Accountability to whom?
. . . I would imagine, accountability and responsibility for their actions.

Everything seems to always be 'somebody elses' fault'
Old 05-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I'd say the biggest think I've noticed is that parents are more vehemently defensive of their children. Many parents in this generation and in generations past have had the blinders on about their kids, but they're more vocal now than ever.

which might be a reflection on the narcissism of the parents themselves.

still, i don't want to fall into the easy "blame the parents" narrative. i think most parents try as best they can, and they often fail, and after a certain age, kids are much more in charge of their own lives than their parents would care to admit.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
which might be a reflection on the narcissism of the parents themselves.

still, i don't want to fall into the easy "blame the parents" narrative. i think most parents try as best they can, and they often fail, and after a certain age, kids are much more in charge of their own lives than their parents would care to admit.
The degree to which kids reflect their parents varies greatly, definitely. And as a high schooler, I can tell you that there are plenty of kids who are just totally disconnected from their parents.

I'm fortunate to have very reasonable parents (though my mother is over-cautious), and many people believe I'm just like my father, which I'm fine with.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 12:52 AM
I have to say, that even as a kid my friends and I noticed trends in the kids below us.

When I was in grade 8, we had peer groups in which a mixed age range of kids would do various activities together - pumpkin carving and the like. I still vividly remember this one grade 3 girl with the classic long blonde hair, big baby blues...dressed in skinny jeans in a haltar - telling me to shut my f*** b** mouth and hand her the f***in knife....etc etc. You get the idea. Grade 8 boys didnt swear nearly as much as she did. Of course, she was just one kid - hardly anything to generalize from, but wow. She was something.

Fast forward a few years, and in high school my friends and I would chat with the teachers about the grade 9 kids. I'm sure something similar happens with everyone, looking down on younger grades - but that was never really our style - we were friends with people in grades below us. But we couldn't believe the stunts that some of the grade 9 kids would pull - telling teachers to fuck off, with no fear. The way they dressed - and didnt care if they got told off. We were far from little angels, and sure there were the bad apples in our grade too, but it seemed to be a larger percentage of the grade 9's.

Fast forward again, and I'm in my last year of university. Our programme is small and has it's own lounge, it's been around for years, and has always had the same vibe. Until this year, all of a sudden kids would hold drunken parties there at night (realize this is office space and a small library and work room, hardly party central) - they wouldn't clean up after themselves, leaving food everywhere and store all their crap there, clothes and whatver. And they were loud, totally disrespecting the people who had offices in there and had to work during the day - no matter how often they were told to keep it down. Now, our years had minor incidents - we didnt clean up, were told to keep it down, sure, it happens. But the first years just wouldn't learn - so after 10 years of status quo - the place is now plastered with signs telling you to stay quiet, cell phones are no longer allowed, neither is food, they started locking it on weekends (people used to use it as a quiet place to study, that was less busy than say the libraries). I talked to the admin about this, and it was strictly because of the first years. I asked if it's gotten worse over the years or if they just got fed up, and the look the lady gave me said it all.

I don't know for sure who is to blame, per se, but there is definitely a trend that scares me.
Also, I would agree with what some of you have said in that I'm not sure rude is the right term, I think it's a great deal of immaturity.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #22
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:52 AM
I'm pretty sure that parents who aren't involved at all in their kids' lives are a statistically bigger problem than over-involved parents. But these parenting-trends stories always seem to focus exclusively on upper-middle-class and upper-class families, which could be part of it. I certainly know some parents of young children whom I consider both overprotective and overindulgent, but I'd hardly call them the majority. Most of my students are 'Gen Y' and I wouldn't say this 'most narcissistic/entitlement mentality' portrait broadly characterizes them, either--sure there are some, but again it's nowhere near the majority. It's probably fair to say that every generation of parents has its certain characteristic shortcomings, particularly in retrospect, but it's not like there were ever halcyon days when virtually all parents did absolutely everything 'right' (whatever that means; it tends to shift) and virtually all kids grew up to be stellar citizens, workers and parents as a result.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Wow, an article bashing Generation X! How 1994 of them! Yay, someone finally remembers my generation exists after all these years!

Seriously, if I ever saw anything positive written about Generation X, I would probably keel over in shock.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I'm pretty sure that parents who aren't involved at all in their kids' lives are a statistically bigger problem than over-involved parents. But these parenting-trends stories always seem to focus exclusively on upper-middle-class and upper-class families, which could be part of it.
I think that's definitely part of it. Before I finished reading your statement I thought "yeah they have the luxury of being over-involved, so even though these kids often do lack coping/life skills, they don't have to worry about jobs, tuition, housing..."

Phil and I talked about this today and we both felt that you can see the same types of problems on both ends of the spectrum (over-involved vs. absent), they just come out in different ways.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
'The kids are to blame'. 'The parents are to blame'. You're all missing the point.

The neo-liberals have deliberately created a society based on workaholism and where career advancement and money have replaced spiritual values. This is in order to keep people enslaved and not question the system.
i think there is some truth to this
Old 05-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
i think there is some truth to this
Then why don't the two of you put your heads together and come up with some examples of what you mean?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't know what neo-liberalism has to do with the point he's making. I would say he's somewhat accurate on the culture of workaholism, but way off on its causes (which weren't political).
Old 05-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

For all the workaholism that supposedly exists I sure see a ton of immature, lazy kids with these inflated entitlement complexes thinking they deserve NOW everything their parents have worked decades to build.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 AM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I don't know what neo-liberalism has to do with the point he's making. I would say he's somewhat accurate on the culture of workaholism, but way off on its causes (which weren't political).
Yeah I have a feeling that 'workaholic' somehow equals 'power hungry woman'. For I have no clue as to how anyone could equate workaholic with a political alignment...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 04:52 AM
The culture of workaholism is a direct consequence of declining real wages and economic freedom resulting from free trade and free market competition, for better or worse.