KFC ad banned for 'racist' undertones. You decide? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 03:03 PM
KFC ad banned for 'racist' undertones. You decide?

Right, so here in Australia it is cricket season and one of their biggest sponsors is KFC.

There are about five or six different short ads showing on TV, all of which are somewhat humourous.

This one, however, was banned after it sparked a backlash in the States. Some Americans have been left seething and keyboard fighters on the internet have been sitting back taking pot shots at Australians over our country being racist.

Here is the ad:

YouTube - Racist KFC Advertisement? --OFFICIAL VIDEO

And here are a few articles.

KFC ad labelled 'racist' by US commentators | Herald Sun

KFC Australia pulls 'racist' ad after US anger | Herald Sun

Most of you probably couldn't care any less, but I'm growing ever so tired of the attacks on Australia as a racist country - there are certainly people here who are, there are facebook groups to prove it - and the absolutely unbelievably PC, fun-is-bad people who get that bored that they get a KFC ad which had nothing to do with racism banned.

The same thing happened with the Jackson 5 'blackface' skit which appeared on our Hey Hey It's Saturday reunion shows, outraged Harry Connick Jr and caused a huge outpouring of negative comments over a skit which was never racist.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:03 PM
well, australia is quite racist....but not in this case. it's a ridiculous over-reaction because of a stereotype that's really only known in the usa.

ps free your mind?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #3

spot on.

yeah, good point, if a mod could move this. i rarely venture into there
Old 01-08-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 04:03 AM
If people where to look at the series of ads KFC is running at the moment, the ad itself is quite clever.

Black, white, yellow, orange, pink & purple stiped people eat chicken..GET OVER IT!

As for targeting a stero type, what about the guys name "Mick" I know a number of Australians who are positive all Americans think every man in Australia is named "Mick" and can tame wild beast ect.

Why don't people nit pick that..
Old 01-08-2010, 05:38 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobaby14 View Post
As for targeting a stero type, what about the guys name "Mick" I know a number of Australians who are positive all Americans think every man in Australia is named "Mick" and can tame wild beast ect.

Why don't people nit pick that..
hah, it kinda feels like people around here think i'm from some tiny pacific atoll with no connection to the rest of the world. at least they don't seem to think everyone from new zealand are savages. the scary part is, the people that think this are the ones who should know better, while the people you think might not know anything of the outside world are quite knowledgeable.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:03 PM
i will explain why americans have been reacting as such.

we're jealous because we don't have the chips. what no, i'm serious.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #7

btw ian, what do you mean "quite racist"? some australians are, sure. but that's a big generalisation to make.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Uh, can someone explain what exactly is racist here? I don't see it. All I'm seeing is a bunch of people and a dude in a Brazilian football jersey offering them some chicken. Is that racist these days?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #9

from what i've read, i think some are claiming it's portraying the stereotype that african americans like eating chicken.

which is even more fucking ridiculous than it sounds.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
forget racist, how about an advert we have over here on tv and on radio, about the 'father/hubby' and if he remembered to get milk. and then its telling mums not to forget the milk, and how great it is that mums remember the milk and in the end its just a fuking advert for milk but SO going down the 'chained to kitchen housewife' type road....................jaysus
Old 01-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Well, frankly, I can see why people see that ad as racist. You've got a white guy surrounded by black people, and his response is to call it an "awkward situation" and put his head in his hands like he's surrounded by something stupid--which, in this case, is an ethnic festival that the black people are clearly enjoying. The chicken is really beside the point, although it doesn't help that handing out fried chicken to apparently befriend blacks is a stereotype (albeit, in this case, a flawed one; I'm not sure that Caribbean blacks [as this is sounds like a Caribbean festival of some kind] like fried chicken the way African-Americans are stereotyped into liking).

And I did see that "Jackson 5" blackface skit, and it was certainly racist as well.

YouTube - Harry Connick Jr. offended by racist Jackson 5 skit in Australia

I'm not in a position to characterize Australia's issues on race. I'm not sure one can chalk it up to a form of "cultural naïveté," where these images are truly not meant to offend--but do anyway--or if it is a manifestation of a more latent racism, not nearly as blatant as up to the first half of the 20th century in the U.S., where whites enjoyed all sorts of products with stereotypical black imagery that I'm sure they thought were fun and harmless too, but were patently offensive to the black community. I guess the real test would be to hear the response of Australia's black community to that ad and sketch to see if they find it offensive or not, but I'd put my bets on them finding it offensive too.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

melon, your response seems to highlight the exact problem. in an american context, it would be racist, however in an australian context (where black people + fried chicken isn't a common stereotype) it's a legitimately humourously-inclined ad to show a friendly rivalry at a sporting event.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:03 PM
I interpreted it as this guy is at a sporting match and somehow manged to end up sitting with the people from the opposing side, thus why he felt awkward sitting there.

The "too easy" meaning that if you have this great chicken to pass out you can make friends even with your rival.

In America they could have made this commercial, however, the opposing side would have been a mix of difference races and the rivalry would have been highlighted strictly by the opposing jerseys. banners etc.

I'm assuming in this case it was an international match.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Well, frankly, I can see why people see that ad as racist. You've got a white guy surrounded by black people, and his response is to call it an "awkward situation" and put his head in his hands like he's surrounded by something stupid--which, in this case, is an ethnic festival that the black people are clearly enjoying.
Is it an ethnic festival? From what I gather here about the context, cricket, it might as well be that the Aussie cricket supporter (in his yellow and green shirt) is surrounded by West Indies supporters. If so, the ad is shot in an awkward way because the supporters of the other team are also of another race. And that apparently it's a stereotype that black people eat fried chicken doesn't help either.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:03 PM
That ad would not have survived in the United States. I think it's funny because it is racist.

Everyone's a little bit racist. I'm sure this would've been fine on a Chappelle's show skit or South Park. But I think this as a national ad on tv is inappropriate. I hardly doubt there'd be such an uproar if it was just an internet youtube thing either.

Then again, American culture is very different from Australian culture. From what I gather, the uproar came from our side of the ocean, not yours. Like melon said, I'm curious to see how the black community of Australia reacts to this.

Besides, I think KFC sucks for different reasons entirely. This does not all surprise me.