KFC ad banned for 'racist' undertones. You decide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in an Australian context there was no intent to offend . . . it was merely, as has been pointed out a few times already, meant to highlight a friendly, long standing sporting rivalry and I daresay that had the bod been sitting amidst a crowd of englishmen or kiwis and handing free cider or beer or something there would be not a word spoken

having said that, as KFC is an international company based in the United States, where the ad would no doubt cause offense (and clearly has) , it probably should not have been made in the first place

it saddens me a little though that the humour factor seems to have disappeared these days in the quest to ensure that the world is as PC as possible - some stereotypes are not necessarily racist, they can be tiresome and predictable and a lazy way out . . . but are often built on a premise that has some historical standing (Aussies loving their beer and a bbq and saying 'maaaaaate') , as ever it is all about context and what sort of stereotype is being portrayed in the end

the 'black face' skit on Hey Hey was excruciating to watch 20 years ago, let alone in 2009 and the producers were naive and stupid beyond belief to think that, in their lust for nostalgia and ratings, that skit would ever pass muster these days and would not cause an uproar . . .

that play station add is pretty objectionable too - to this little white chick it smacks of 'white supremacy' the way the girl is holding the boys face in such a dominant way . . . are there any articles about what sort of reaction there has been to this ad?

Been interesting to read everyones comments so far :)

The ad can only be construed as racist if it is taken wildly out of context, and americans assume that the people in the ad, being from the Carribean are in fact American themselves. It is total bullshit. I dnt hear the league of mothers-in-law complaining about the one where the guy buys them chicken to shut them up during the game. Nor do I hear the league of 'idiots who dont watch the game" complaining about the guy being portrayed as idiotic for getting hit in the head.

The ad is part of a series, and relevant as the West indian fans were out here this summer. By the way, every time the west indies are out here they appear in KFC ads because KFC have been one of their major sponsors for decades. I haven't heard anyone bring up that angle before. Either way it isnt racist when viewed in context and I would like to raise 2 points:

- Why is this ad bein shown in America if noone there watches cricket? Maybe on ESPN 8 - The Ocho?

- Why the fuck do they feel they have the right to complain and have an ad pulled when they have a lower than superficial understanding of the context and circumstances that surround it?

btw ian, what do you mean "quite racist"? some australians are, sure. but that's a big generalisation to make.

Australia, in general, is a terribly racists society. Tht isn't saying that everyone is racist, it means that there is innate racism in every aspect of our culture, government policies (White Australia, and more recently the subtle racism of lowered expectations and affirmative action), sport. There are still University bashings in Newcastle where groups of people target the African students. Seriously. These are people undergoing gruelling higher education in advanced subject areas. I am often ashamed of those aspects of this country. I can only comfort myself in the knowledge that we arent the worst in the world.

Well, frankly, I can see why people see that ad as racist. You've got a white guy surrounded by black people, and his response is to call it an "awkward situation" and put his head in his hands like he's surrounded by something stupid--which, in this case, is an ethnic festival that the black people are clearly enjoying. The chicken is really beside the point, although it doesn't help that handing out fried chicken to apparently befriend blacks is a stereotype (albeit, in this case, a flawed one; I'm not sure that Caribbean blacks [as this is sounds like a Caribbean festival of some kind] like fried chicken the way African-Americans are stereotyped into liking).

And I did see that "Jackson 5" blackface skit, and it was certainly racist as well.

YouTube - Harry Connick Jr. offended by racist Jackson 5 skit in Australia

I'm not in a position to characterize Australia's issues on race. I'm not sure one can chalk it up to a form of "cultural naïveté," where these images are truly not meant to offend--but do anyway--or if it is a manifestation of a more latent racism, not nearly as blatant as up to the first half of the 20th century in the U.S., where whites enjoyed all sorts of products with stereotypical black imagery that I'm sure they thought were fun and harmless too, but were patently offensive to the black community. I guess the real test would be to hear the response of Australia's black community to that ad and sketch to see if they find it offensive or not, but I'd put my bets on them finding it offensive too.

Melon expressed several of the same things that came to my mind, and when I first saw this KFC ad yesterday on youtube it brought to mind the Jackson 5 blackface skit as well.

Look, in my view, Australia likely has no more institutionalized racism than the U.S. Both have plenty, but it's not even logical to me that one would have more than the other.

But the one thing that leaves me skeptical is people from English-speaking countries outside of the U.S. saying they have no idea that certain racial stereotypes endemic to the U.S. exist. On the one hand you laugh at the stupidity of some Americans who seem to think that you must live in the bush but on the other hand you claim you have no idea what goes on in the Western world at large with respect to social/racial issues.

- Why the fuck do they feel they have the right to complain and have an ad pulled when they have a lower than superficial understanding of the context and circumstances that surround it?

My thoughts exactly. I feel its more than a little egocentric

in an Australian context there was no intent to offend . . . it was merely, as has been pointed out a few times already, meant to highlight a friendly, long standing sporting rivalry and I daresay that had the bod been sitting amidst a crowd of englishmen or kiwis and handing free cider or beer or something there would be not a word spoken

having said that, as KFC is an international company based in the United States, where the ad would no doubt cause offense (and clearly has) , it probably should not have been made in the first place

it saddens me a little though that the humour factor seems to have disappeared these days in the quest to ensure that the world is as PC as possible - some stereotypes are not necessarily racist, they can be tiresome and predictable and a lazy way out . . . but are often built on a premise that has some historical standing (Aussies loving their beer and a bbq and saying 'maaaaaate') , as ever it is all about context and what sort of stereotype is being portrayed in the end

the 'black face' skit on Hey Hey was excruciating to watch 20 years ago, let alone in 2009 and the producers were naive and stupid beyond belief to think that, in their lust for nostalgia and ratings, that skit would ever pass muster these days and would not cause an uproar . . .

that play station add is pretty objectionable too - to this little white chick it smacks of 'white supremacy' the way the girl is holding the boys face in such a dominant way . . . are there any articles about what sort of reaction there has been to this ad?

Been interesting to read everyones comments so far :)

I love the assumption that Australians, in an Australian ad using Australian and West Indian people were trying to make a comment on the eating habits of Americans... Yeah, i see how that works... :S

In the end, I think that racism needs to have somewhere in its defininition, the possibility (whether intentional or not) to inflame within context. This does not. And how does saying that a group of people like fried chicken inflame? If Dave Chappell said it (and has done on MANY occasions) people would laugh their heads off. How do we know Dave Chappell didn't write the ad? Would it be racist then?

Bottom line is that this ad is not racist. It is promoting some basic facts, that when taken together can not possibly be interpreted that way. a) the west indies played here this summer b) their fans play drums in the crowds c) KFC are promoting their own product d) they like to think that their product is of good quality, and are trying to show that in the way the people in the ad ate their product.

I am one of the first people to jump on racist behaviour. I have approached bosses about seeing it in the workplace. I don't accept that in a modern world, where we know that there is no legitimate biological difference between people of different ethnicities or skin colours, that people can treat other human beings as lesser life forms based on these superficial differences. The scrutiny around this ad is rediculous.

It could almost be twisted around as racist from the Americans that they expect the drongo Aussies to be racist, and havent even tried to view the ad in context. I take exception to the worldview people have of me as an Australian sometimes, and Im sure part of it is mother America trying to police us because we 'don't know any better'.

But the one thing that leaves me skeptical is people from English-speaking countries outside of the U.S. saying they have no idea that certain racial stereotypes endemic to the U.S. exist. On the one hand you laugh at the stupidity of some Americans who seem to think that you must live in the bush but on the other hand you claim you have no idea what goes on in the Western world at large with respect to social/racial issues.

but of course we're meant to reasonably expect that americans understand every single racial stereotype that exists outside of the usa, right?

Well, frankly, I can see why people see that ad as racist. You've got a white guy surrounded by black people, and his response is to call it an "awkward situation" and put his head in his hands like he's surrounded by something stupid--which, in this case, is an ethnic festival that the black people are clearly enjoying. The chicken is really beside the point, although it doesn't help that handing out fried chicken to apparently befriend blacks is a stereotype (albeit, in this case, a flawed one; I'm not sure that Caribbean blacks [as this is sounds like a Caribbean festival of some kind] like fried chicken the way African-Americans are stereotyped into liking).

That has 100% proved my point about context. Every ad in the series has the same guy at the cricket, or watching the cricket. In this case, to anyone who understands the context, he is at a cricket game, not a cultural festival. The west indian fans (correct about the carribean part) are passionate and exciting fans, they bring steel drums, dance, it really is an amazing experience. The point of calling it an awkward situatuon refers to him getting tickets which mean he is right in the middle of the noise. Every australian cricket fan loves seeing games against the west indies for the fans, but I myself would hate to be sitting right in the middle of it.

You prove me right in that you dont understand any of the context that are actually needed for the ad to make any sense. KFC cant help that they sell chicken. If they sold beef products, noone would have cared.

but of course we're meant to reasonably expect that americans understand every single racial stereotype that exists outside of the usa, right?

Id like to hear an essay from some of our US members about Chalkies, drovers dogs, bunyips, whitefullas, blackfullas, seppos, spits and drongos.

Did you see the Jackson 5 skit on Hey Hey? If so, did you have any idea that it could be taken as offensive by black folks? I suppose not.

Okay, well then, I apologize for my utter stupidity.

The commercial is racist.

Explain, using the context that ad was made in, meant to be viewed in, how the ad is in any way racist. Ill give you some notes beforehand. The people in the ad are West Indian cricket fans at a game of cricket. No such stereotype exists in australia (the original context) that black people like fried chicken any more than white people.

Did you see the Jackson 5 skit on Hey Hey? If so, did you have any idea that it could be taken as offensive by black folks? I suppose not.

Okay, well then, I apologize for my utter stupidity.

The Jackson 5 skit was pretty awful, and noone here is suggesting it wasnt. Im sure Een wasnt talking about that example. I think he was talking about the fried chicken thing, because, while we know about it, it still isnt prevelant in our culture, and therefore isnt a consideration as being racist because we dont really care about it.

Explain, using the context that ad was made in, meant to be viewed in, how the ad is in any way racist. Ill give you some notes beforehand. The people in the ad are West Indian cricket fans at a game of cricket. No such stereotype exists in australia (the original context) that black people like fried chicken any more than white people.

not to mention, like i said on the previous page, is there even a stereotype for west indian people liking fried chicken?

although i think gaf was probably not entirely serious in his reply, but it can be hard to tell.

Ohh, which one am I? :hyper:

A Seppo.

Most of these are affectionate nicknames, not born out of hatred, more out of laziness. Seppo comes from rhyming slang. Septic Tank - Yank.

We're too lazy to say Septic Tank, so we say Seppo and people who dont know the lineage love it. People that do hate it. It doesnt mean that Americans are physically septic tanks (that would be weird).

But if you're a school teacher, you're also a Chalkie

A Seppo.

Most of these are affectionate nicknames, not born out of hatred, more out of laziness. Seppo comes from rhyming slang. Septic Tank - Yank.

We're too lazy to say Septic Tank, so we say Seppo and people who dont know the lineage love it. People that do hate it. It doesnt mean that Americans are physically septic tanks (that would be weird).

That's offensive. That'd be like Roto Rooter making an ad with one of their WHITE plumbers sitting in the middle of a bunch of Americans. I'm gonna be sick. Why such hatred down under?

not to mention, like i said on the previous page, is there even a stereotype for west indian people liking fried chicken?

to be perfectly honest, I dont think the stereotype is really that specific. It relates to black people in general

That's offensive. That'd be like Roto Rooter making an ad with one of their WHITE plumbers sitting in the middle of a bunch of Americans. I'm gonna be sick. Why such hatred down under?

I can see how it is offensive, even though it isnt meant to be, so yeah it could be deemed racist. I mean, we cant help if we're lazy, and we're too lazy to change that, and we also cant help that yank rhymes with septic tank and that we have a penchant for rhyming slang.

So i guess the bottom line is that KFC isnt allowed to use black people in their ads?

i would love to know what a guy from aruba or jamaica thinks about being grouped as the same as every black person in the united states...by a supposed race expert.

Well you cant tell the difference just by lookin'!

I think, at the very least, it was naive of KFC to think that in this day and age, it wouldn't be put on the internets for people far and wide to a) see it; b) comment on it; or c) wildly overreact to it.

Was it intentionally racist? Hell, no. It was a bad move, PR-wise. That's about it. And honestly, it will blow over in another 5 minutes because everyone on the intarwebz will find something else to get morally outraged about.

That being said, with all the context being given (i.e., KFC Australia does not necessarily work with KFC USA; the cricket advertising thing), it's a huge overreaction.

Just another day on the wild wild web.

Back
Top Bottom