KFC ad banned for 'racist' undertones. You decide? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #106
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,641
Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Asians are good at math.
Not always good. Especially if you're Asian and you are not good at math. Or if you're in a group project you're Asian and you automatically always get assigned the math portion without question because someone believes in that stereotype.

Like I said, I can't think of one positive way of looking at stereotypes.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 12:52 PM
But can't they all do karate? Or judo, or kung-fu or whatever.






No worries, kidding.
__________________

__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #108
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,020
Local Time: 10:52 PM
if Connick hadn't been on the show what would have happened?
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #109
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,641
Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
if Connick hadn't been on the show what would have happened?
Probably another case of poor racist taste would have gone unseen.

It happens everyday. Your argument is a tree that falls in a forest is silent if no one is around, it's a poor argument.

Have you read any of the info on blackface?
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #110
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Not always good. Especially if you're Asian and you are not good at math. Or if you're in a group project you're Asian and you automatically always get assigned the math portion without question because someone believes in that stereotype.

Like I said, I can't think of one positive way of looking at stereotypes.
Italian grandmas make good dinners

Canadians are polite

These are harmless stereotypes and to get upset about them, either personally or on someones behalf, is pretty silly
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #111
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,641
Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Italian grandmas make good dinners

Canadians are polite

These are harmless stereotypes and to get upset about them, either personally or on someones behalf, is pretty silly
You might think they are harmless, but they are still forms of prejudging and both your examples still fail.

The Canadian example has been used against them all the time, this stereotype has been used and twisted to make them come off as week.

And the Italian grandmother's stereotype is only part of the equation, it usually comes with overbearing, food as love, overweight, unhealthy food, etc...

Yes, some stereotypes may not be as offensive as others, but to say they are positive is a big stretch. Any time you are slapping a label on a whole group you're being lazy, judgemental, ignorant.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #112
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,700
Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
if Connick hadn't been on the show what would have happened?
Well, we're talking about a commercial that was only aired in your neck of the world. So yeah, it still would have been on the internet and caused an uproar.

What was even the point of them doing blackface for their tribute? I'd say it's a fair call to make to say that everyone knows the Jacksons were black, and no one would have been confused if they'd done it without the make-up.
__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You might think they are harmless, but they are still forms of prejudging and both your examples still fail.

The Canadian example has been used against them all the time, this stereotype has been used and twisted to make them come off as week.

And the Italian grandmother's stereotype is only part of the equation, it usually comes with overbearing, food as love, overweight, unhealthy food, etc...

Yes, some stereotypes may not be as offensive as others, but to say they are positive is a big stretch. Any time you are slapping a label on a whole group you're being lazy, judgemental, ignorant.
I kinda like the 'Canadians are polite' stereotype
My roommate brags all the time about his grandma's cooking because 'shes italian, of course she makes good food'
I wasnt setting you up. These were the two that came immediately to mind for obvious reasons.

I've never ever heard anyone from either of these backgrounds get mad about them. You're speaking for people who can speak for themselves

Whether or not they're absolutely positive is irrelevant, because they're inoffensive
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #114
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,641
Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Whether or not they're absolutely positive is irrelevant, because they're inoffensive
And that's fine, but the only reason we got off on this tangent was iron horse's statement that stereotypes can be positive. That's all.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And that's fine, but the only reason we got off on this tangent was iron horse's statement that stereotypes can be positive. That's all.
fair enough

I think i may have been the first to say positive/negative actually. My fault. I should've said offensive/inoffensive
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 05:52 AM
All Gumbys have brains that hurt.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
blueeyedgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bottom of the earth
Posts: 6,774
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Well, we're talking about a commercial that was only aired in your neck of the world. So yeah, it still would have been on the internet and caused an uproar.

What was even the point of them doing blackface for their tribute? I'd say it's a fair call to make to say that everyone knows the Jacksons were black, and no one would have been confused if they'd done it without the make-up.
For what its' worth, here's my take. I didn't see the Red Faces skit till I heard about the Connick uproar, (cos Hey Hey should have been left buried in whatever dump it got dumped in years ago), but when I saw the clip, I saw the humour. I saw it as a pisstake on Michael's ever-increasing paler skin. I thought the timing was a little suspect, seeing he'd died and all. I viewed it in the context of other Red Faces skits, like the pisstake on George Michael in the Faith video "I can't shave my face, face face!" And wasn't there a bloke who dressed up like Cher in the "Turn back Time" video as well?

Anyway, I view this as an Aussie wog, or an Australian of Italian background. I know wog was a disparaging term for the first wave of Italian migrants in the 40s and 50s ie my parents, but it's our generation who have reclaimed it, comedians who have created shows like "Wogs out of Work", "Acropolis Now" who send up all the stereotypes (good and bad) and make no apologies. I have no issues about being a wog in Australia, I call myself a wog, you can call me a wog if you want, even a fucking wog, ya skip!

Sure, not everyone holds the same view as I do, but I never claimed I'm speaking for all people. Nor do I suspect does Harry Connick Jr speak for all seppos.
__________________
blueeyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
All Gumbys have brains that hurt.
insensitive
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #119
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,020
Local Time: 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
insensitive
he must be a BRAIN SPECIALIST jt...
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #120
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 06:52 AM
Popeye's > KFC.
__________________

__________________
unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos" MrsSpringsteen Free Your Mind Archive 500 05-08-2007 05:58 AM
Dolce And Gabbana 'Fantasy Rape' Ad MrsSpringsteen Free Your Mind Archive 69 03-14-2007 11:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com