KFC ad banned for 'racist' undertones. You decide? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
That's discrimination, ie, racist. KFC's best bet is to just dissolve themselves. There really is no other choice.
but then what will all the bla..... nevermind
__________________

__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #62
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i can see now why you've gone veggie, if you'd befriend the chicken before you eat it!
friend = fried for us black folk
__________________

__________________
unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:48 PM
Sounds like a veiled attack on health care reform. Definitely racist.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:52 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:48 PM
there is some history with chicken and people of colour.


Quote:
A year Woods turned pro, he won the Masters, becoming the youngest player and the first person of Asian or African heritage to hold the title.

Woods held his cool throughout the tough match.

After he completed his win, golfer Fuzzy Zoeller said the following about the new star: "Pat him on the back. Say congratulations ... and tell him not to serve fried chicken next year ... or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve."

The comments caused an uproar in the golfing world, an arena known for its civility. Although Zoeller denied that his remarks were racist, Woods said he felt that he needed to respond to them.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Sounds like a veiled attack on health care reform. Definitely racist.
Your jokes are going downhill fast...
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #66
War Child
 
thatsnotmypuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 909
Local Time: 03:48 AM
Look as an Aussie who has been to the states I kind of get why people are upset by the ad - but also feel yet again it is a ridiculous over-reaction. I am aware of the chicken American stereotype but assumed KFC (the Aussie company is a stand alone franchisee - not part of the overall KFC family) in Australia wouldn't be implying that. What if it was a World Cup ad sponsored by Taco Bell and the white guy was handing Mexicans tacos? Or the Beijing Olympics sponsored by Noodle Box with whitey distributing some Char Kway Teow? Would there be such an uproar? I mean really - I understand the lack of context for some parties but how about asking or researching before passing judgment?

And as for the Australian blacks - being half Koori I can assure you I like my chicken but I like a good piece of fish more. And no-one would ask my bloody opinion either way
__________________
thatsnotmypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsnotmypuppy View Post
What if it was a World Cup ad sponsored by Taco Bell and the white guy was handing Mexicans tacos?
I wouldn't be offended because that shit they serve ain't real tacos.
__________________
unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
I wouldn't be offended because that shit they serve ain't real tacos.
damn tasty though
__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict
 
mysterious_jen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: U2 360 2010 DOWNUNDER
Posts: 15,556
Local Time: 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsnotmypuppy View Post

And as for the Australian blacks - being half Koori I can assure you I like my chicken but I like a good piece of fish more. And no-one would ask my bloody opinion either way
ahh sadly this is the truth of the matter.
__________________
mysterious_jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 10:48 PM
Why the taboo toward black people liking chicken though? I mean, so what if it might be part of the culture. Why is it seen as being racist in the first place? I'm half scottish and half irish, but I dont think its racist to have a haggis or potato stereotype (or drinking problem, for that matter) thrown my way. This is an honest question, by the way
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #71
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,035
Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
funnily enough, most people from australia i've seen reacting to the over-reaction had no idea about this stereotype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsnotmypuppy View Post
I am aware of the chicken American stereotype but assumed KFC (the Aussie company is a stand alone franchisee - not part of the overall KFC family) in Australia wouldn't be implying that.
these are important points. i was certainly not aware of the stereotype and there is no way KFC implied that, so i don't know where that is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
- Why the fuck do they feel they have the right to complain and have an ad pulled when they have a lower than superficial understanding of the context and circumstances that surround it?
exactly. cori is right; with the internet these days small ads become global in a short amount of time, but there are a swathe of videos on youtube condemning the ad and calling me racist and stupid when they have no grounds to comment on something.

an interesting article:

No taste for black humour | The Australian

and the final paragraph:

Quote:
Not so a contributor to YouTube, TrueUSMarine, who writes: "This commercial is offensive, it can offend people, WHICH IT HAS. Or are you Aussies too f . . ing stupid to realise that? You are all morons if you can't understand that."

No sign of racism there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jamison View Post
But the one thing that leaves me skeptical is people from English-speaking countries outside of the U.S. saying they have no idea that certain racial stereotypes endemic to the U.S. exist. On the one hand you laugh at the stupidity of some Americans who seem to think that you must live in the bush but on the other hand you claim you have no idea what goes on in the Western world at large with respect to social/racial issues.
i had no idea of that particular stereotype. i'm pretty switched on. it's inconsequential and KFC Aus shouldn't have to sit around a board room listing all the racist stereotypes across the world and cross-examining their ads before airing them.



and just quickly, re: the blackface skit on Hey Hey. that was never intended to be racist, it was just a parody of the Jackson 5. how is it any different to anyone who has dressed up in blackface before? is the movie White Chicks racist?
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #72
War Child
 
thatsnotmypuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 909
Local Time: 03:48 AM
I better just add something Jen - I dont mean that I am totally ignored by society - far from it - just the politicians and media here like to ask each other about so called 'Native Australian Issues' and not directly ask us 'Native Australians'.

For example - the Herald Sun here in Melbourne does a little 'people on the street' bit that is featured on the letters to the editor page. The days after the Tiger Woods scandal broke they were doing a vox pop down near Southgate and they asked my workmate and my manager their opinions but didn't ask me. When I challenged them the reporter said he wasn't interested in an opinion that would be in defense of Tiger Woods.

Um - I'm pretty fair skinned and just because Tiger is apparently a 'brother' doesn't mean I'd condone his actions.... WTF?

Now I wouldn't necesarily claim the reporter was racist - just a fucking idiot.

Sorry - that was a bit offtopic. And I kind of forgot what point I was making.
__________________
thatsnotmypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #73
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,035
Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Why the taboo toward black people liking chicken though? I mean, so what if it might be part of the culture. Why is it seen as being racist in the first place? I'm half scottish and half irish, but I dont think its racist to have a haggis or potato stereotype (or drinking problem, for that matter) thrown my way. This is an honest question, by the way
this is my other problem. i'd like an answer to this too, and why it bothers anyone.
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #74
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,035
Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsnotmypuppy View Post
I better just add something Jen - I dont mean that I am totally ignored by society - far from it - just the politicians and media here like to ask each other about so called 'Native Australian Issues' and not directly ask us 'Native Australians'.

For example - the Herald Sun here in Melbourne does a little 'people on the street' bit that is featured on the letters to the editor page. The days after the Tiger Woods scandal broke they were doing a vox pop down near Southgate and they asked my workmate and my manager their opinions but didn't ask me. When I challenged them the reporter said he wasn't interested in an opinion that would be in defense of Tiger Woods.

Um - I'm pretty fair skinned and just because Tiger is apparently a 'brother' doesn't mean I'd condone his actions.... WTF?

Now I wouldn't necesarily claim the reporter was racist - just a fucking idiot.

Sorry - that was a bit offtopic. And I kind of forgot what point I was making.
Wow! that's fucking unbelievable!
__________________
cobl04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict
 
mysterious_jen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: U2 360 2010 DOWNUNDER
Posts: 15,556
Local Time: 01:18 PM
hey no worries, but i agree that our "black community" - indigenous community would not get their opinion asked or heard, and their reaction would also be completely different to african americans or people from the carribean anyway.
ahh the herald sun is full of fucking idiots.
__________________

__________________
mysterious_jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imus Calls Rutgers Women's Basketball Team "Nappy Headed Hos" MrsSpringsteen Free Your Mind Archive 500 05-08-2007 05:58 AM
Dolce And Gabbana 'Fantasy Rape' Ad MrsSpringsteen Free Your Mind Archive 69 03-14-2007 11:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com