KFC ad banned for 'racist' undertones. You decide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those asking for some background on the whole fried racist chickens, here's some info from Wikipedia. (Yeah, take it for what it's worth as it's Wikipedia, but this seems pretty accurate to me.)

Fried chicken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When it was introduced to the American South, fried chicken became a common staple. Later, as Africans were brought to work on southern plantations, the slaves who became cooks incorporated seasonings and spices that were absent in traditional Scottish cuisine, enriching the flavor. Since most slaves were unable to raise expensive meats, but generally allowed to keep chickens, frying chicken on special occasions spread through the African American communities of the South. It endured the fall of slavery and gradually passed into common use as a general Southern dish. Since fried chicken could keep for several days, longer than other preparations, and traveled well in hot weather before refrigeration was commonplace, it gained further favor in the periods of American history when segregation closed off most restaurants to the black population. Fried chicken continues to be among this region's top choices for "Sunday dinner" among both blacks and whites. Holidays such as Independence Day and other gatherings often feature this dish.

Since the Civil War, traditional slave foods like fried chicken, watermelon, and chitterlings, have suffered a strong association with African American stereotypes and blackface minstrelsy. This was commercialized for the first half of the 20th century by restaurants like Sambo's and Coon Chicken Inn, which selected exaggerated blacks as mascots, implying quality by their association with the stereotype. While acknowledged positively as soul food in the modern age by many, the affinity that African American culture has for fried chicken has been considered a delicate, often pejorative issue; While still present, this perception has been fading for several decades with the ubiquitous nature of fried chicken dishes in the US and a gradual ageing and dull acceptation of this stereotype.

No offense if you like KFC, but KFC is totally gross in the US. This is not true in other locations like Europe and Latin America, where are the best fast food establishments, but the US locations suck balls big time.

There was also a lot of controversy about 3 years ago where several KFC establishments in New York City were closed due to the presence of rats and other rodents. :|

Press>>>Get that black iron skillet out!

-1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
-2 teaspoons garlic powder
-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-1 teaspoon black pepper
-Flour, for dredging
-Lard for frying

Fry that Chicken and you will never drive through Mickie Dees for those MugNuts again.

As Michael Jackson once sang...."It don't matter if you're black or white."

Southern Fried Chicken tastes good no matter the color of your skin:applaud:

For those asking for some background on the whole fried racist chickens, here's some info from Wikipedia. (Yeah, take it for what it's worth as it's Wikipedia, but this seems pretty accurate to me.)

why, thank you, Cori :) Informative

I'd say the wikipedia account isn't too bad. they aren't too bad in general, despite their poor reputation. it depends on the topic of course, and is best to enter with eyes wide open.

How do you know their "intent"? "Blackface" is steeped in a history of racism, do a little research.

the guys who did the blackface skit were people of mixed race heratige themselves , and all successful doctors and were taking the piss , not being intentianally racist.
if harry connnick jnr wasnt there it wouldnt have rated a mention , although channel 9 were idiots for running it.

thank you jen.

this is what pissed me off about the whole thing.

what colour skin did the Jackson 5 have? black. there were sending up the jackson 5. they donned blackface because the jackson 5 were black. it was a PISSTAKE, nothing to do with racism, or slavery or anything like that. a pisstake. harry connick says nothing, no shitstorm.

there is no difference in my opinion between that skit and a say a pisstake of the backstreet boys.

but yes, probably silly of channel 9.

there can be both offensive and nonoffensive stereotypes. Why is that such a difficult concept?

Well actually his first post was that "stereotype" does not equal "prejudice", but by definition if you are throwing a label on a whole group then you are pre-judging.

Yes,stereotypes can have positive or negative connotations.
How are stereotypes positive?
I'm not saying there has not been in the past or is racism in the South now,
butI do think it has been greatly exaggerated.
Then your experience is much much different then mine.

While on the one hand I agree that there's a lot of gray area in racism and cultural norms and the rest of the world shouldn't necessarily have to go by America's measuring stick for racism or other things, I also have to say this:

Just because it isn't offensive to you does not mean that it's not offensive.

And now, some context around why blackface is drenched in racist fun:

Blackface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's an interesting read, for sure.

Thanks for the wiki link Cori, that was very interesting to read. Yet I still do not understand why it should still be such a negative, racist thing these days. To me the slavery is something of the past, something really bad yes, but something of the past. With stuff like this it just seems like Americans in particular keep the whole slavery thing alive by constantly being on edge and screaming racism at anything even remotely linked to black people. Or is that just me?

Thanks for the wiki link Cori, that was very interesting to read. Yet I still do not understand why it should still be such a negative, racist thing these days. To me the slavery is something of the past, something really bad yes, but something of the past. With stuff like this it just seems like Americans in particular keep the whole slavery thing alive by constantly being on edge and screaming racism at anything even remotely linked to black people. Or is that just me?

But it's not just about slavery, of course that's a big part and one of the major roots, but it's not solely about slavery.

Asians are good at math.

Not always good. Especially if you're Asian and you are not good at math. Or if you're in a group project you're Asian and you automatically always get assigned the math portion without question because someone believes in that stereotype.

Like I said, I can't think of one positive way of looking at stereotypes.

But can't they all do karate? Or judo, or kung-fu or whatever.

No worries, kidding.

if Connick hadn't been on the show what would have happened?

Probably another case of poor racist taste would have gone unseen. :shrug:

It happens everyday. Your argument is a tree that falls in a forest is silent if no one is around, it's a poor argument.

Have you read any of the info on blackface?

Not always good. Especially if you're Asian and you are not good at math. Or if you're in a group project you're Asian and you automatically always get assigned the math portion without question because someone believes in that stereotype.

Like I said, I can't think of one positive way of looking at stereotypes.

Italian grandmas make good dinners

Canadians are polite

These are harmless stereotypes and to get upset about them, either personally or on someones behalf, is pretty silly

Italian grandmas make good dinners

Canadians are polite

These are harmless stereotypes and to get upset about them, either personally or on someones behalf, is pretty silly

You might think they are harmless, but they are still forms of prejudging and both your examples still fail.

The Canadian example has been used against them all the time, this stereotype has been used and twisted to make them come off as week.

And the Italian grandmother's stereotype is only part of the equation, it usually comes with overbearing, food as love, overweight, unhealthy food, etc...

Yes, some stereotypes may not be as offensive as others, but to say they are positive is a big stretch. Any time you are slapping a label on a whole group you're being lazy, judgemental, ignorant.

if Connick hadn't been on the show what would have happened?

Well, we're talking about a commercial that was only aired in your neck of the world. So yeah, it still would have been on the internet and caused an uproar.

What was even the point of them doing blackface for their tribute? I'd say it's a fair call to make to say that everyone knows the Jacksons were black, and no one would have been confused if they'd done it without the make-up.

You might think they are harmless, but they are still forms of prejudging and both your examples still fail.

The Canadian example has been used against them all the time, this stereotype has been used and twisted to make them come off as week.

And the Italian grandmother's stereotype is only part of the equation, it usually comes with overbearing, food as love, overweight, unhealthy food, etc...

Yes, some stereotypes may not be as offensive as others, but to say they are positive is a big stretch. Any time you are slapping a label on a whole group you're being lazy, judgemental, ignorant.

I kinda like the 'Canadians are polite' stereotype :shrug:
My roommate brags all the time about his grandma's cooking because 'shes italian, of course she makes good food'
I wasnt setting you up. These were the two that came immediately to mind for obvious reasons.

I've never ever heard anyone from either of these backgrounds get mad about them. You're speaking for people who can speak for themselves

Whether or not they're absolutely positive is irrelevant, because they're inoffensive

And that's fine, but the only reason we got off on this tangent was iron horse's statement that stereotypes can be positive. That's all.

:up: fair enough

I think i may have been the first to say positive/negative actually. My fault. I should've said offensive/inoffensive

Well, we're talking about a commercial that was only aired in your neck of the world. So yeah, it still would have been on the internet and caused an uproar.

What was even the point of them doing blackface for their tribute? I'd say it's a fair call to make to say that everyone knows the Jacksons were black, and no one would have been confused if they'd done it without the make-up.

For what its' worth, here's my take. I didn't see the Red Faces skit till I heard about the Connick uproar, (cos Hey Hey should have been left buried in whatever dump it got dumped in years ago), but when I saw the clip, I saw the humour. I saw it as a pisstake on Michael's ever-increasing paler skin. I thought the timing was a little suspect, seeing he'd died and all. I viewed it in the context of other Red Faces skits, like the pisstake on George Michael in the Faith video "I can't shave my face, face face!" And wasn't there a bloke who dressed up like Cher in the "Turn back Time" video as well?

Anyway, I view this as an Aussie wog, or an Australian of Italian background. I know wog was a disparaging term for the first wave of Italian migrants in the 40s and 50s ie my parents, but it's our generation who have reclaimed it, comedians who have created shows like "Wogs out of Work", "Acropolis Now" who send up all the stereotypes (good and bad) and make no apologies. I have no issues about being a wog in Australia, I call myself a wog, you can call me a wog if you want, even a fucking wog, ya skip!

Sure, not everyone holds the same view as I do, but I never claimed I'm speaking for all people. Nor do I suspect does Harry Connick Jr speak for all seppos.

Back
Top Bottom