Juan Williams Fired From NPR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Free Speech vs. Editorial Policy: A Brief History

Juan Williams is not the first journalist, nor will he be the last, to be fired over controversial remarks.

Helen Thomas: June 2010

One of the most familiar faces at White House Press conferences, Helen Thomas was forced to resign. The long-time White House correspondent was forced out after 60 years.

From your article

Ironhorse, I don't recall, did you post anything in relationship to the Helen Thomas issue?

Iron Horse, you are aware that this already being discussed in two other threads?

Perhaps...

Sorry for acting like a mod when I'm not one :reject:

Again with the "free speech" nonsense!

Well, didn't Juan Williams exercise his right to voice his opinion?

The first amendment says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Feel free to enlighten me!

The first amendment says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Yeah, so?

So, you actually think someone should be fired for voicing their opinion?

Calm down. There was no need for an oversized word like that.

Calm down. There was no need for an oversized word like that.

Really sorry that you were on the receiving end of that but frankly I get an allergic reaction every time free speech is brought up here because about 90% of the time it has absolutely nothing to do with free speech.

You see a paid news contributor being terminated for public comments deemed inappropriate by his employer as a free speech issue? What world are you living in, exactly? :huh:

DeMint will introduce bill to defund NPR

In his “Talking Points Memo” tonight, Bill O’Reilly said that “Jim DeMint will introduce legislation to defund” NPR in the wake of Juan Williams’s firing.

CNN’s Peter Hamby later tweeted confirmation.

“This is like the ACORN deal – no more money to NPR,” O’Reilly said. “NPR has now devolved into a totalitarian outfit functioning as an arm of the far left.”

A visibly shaken Williams was on the show to talk about his firing, pointing out that he was the only black man on NPR.

“I didn’t fit in their box there,” he said.

Karl Rove and O’Reilly also discussed two seven-figure gifts from George Soros, or Soros-founded entities, to NPR and Media Matters this week.

UPDATE: DeMint's office has confirmed that the senator will announce the legislation tomorrow.

tax payer money not going to NPR would be less government funding :shrug:

Juan Williams speech is not free.

And certainly not when he is appearing on the Fox News Network.

Williams, who has served as a regular contributor on Fox News since 1997, got a new multi-year deal from the cable channel. Terms were not disclosed, but a source close to the network said Williams is getting a pay hike that will net him close to $2 million a year over three years.

no FREE speech from Mr. Williams

DeMint's being an idiot again? No shock there.

A visibly shaken Williams was on the show to talk about his firing, pointing out that he was the only black man on NPR.

“I didn’t fit in their box there,” he said.

Hm. Given his prejudicial comment about Muslims, I find this statement pretty ironic.

Anywho, again, I think it doesn't exactly solve anything to fire every single person nowadays who says dumb things, 'cause you'd be left with very few people and you're not exactly addressing the actual problem connected with the comments themselves. It'd be better to deal with the comments head on, firing them won't exactly make the thoughts and beliefs go away. But it is NPR's decision to make. I do find it strange they fired him for comments he made on another show on another network, but then again, associations probably factored into that decision.

Angela

When he pulls a Greta and migrates to Fox...will some here argue about the authenticity of Juan's negro-ness-as they think it's suppose to be?

And then at that point will our *boy Ward Connerly will come in backhand some of those more pious liberaaaals in FYM as needed?
:hmm:

Ward Connerly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Picture001.jpg

After that, shall Michael Steel be dispatched?:hug:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...teele-says-he-will-go-after-Barack-Obama.html

*boy not being used in the pejorative as closet bigots and
political correctness fanatics may be prone to do.

Thank u,

<>

Last edited:
DeMint's being an idiot again? No shock there.

Hm. Given his prejudicial comment about Muslims, I find this statement pretty ironic.

Anywho, again, I think it doesn't exactly solve anything to fire every single person nowadays who says dumb things, 'cause you'd be left with very few people and you're not exactly addressing the actual problem connected with the comments themselves. It'd be better to deal with the comments head on, firing them won't exactly make the thoughts and beliefs go away. But it is NPR's decision to make. I do find it strange they fired him for comments he made on another show on another network, but then again, associations probably factored into that decision.

Angela

:up:

You see a paid news contributor being terminated for public comments deemed inappropriate by his employer as a free speech issue? What world are you living in, exactly? :huh:

I think Moonlit_Angel summed up everything best:

I think it doesn't exactly solve anything to fire every single person nowadays who says dumb things, 'cause you'd be left with very few people and you're not exactly addressing the actual problem connected with the comments themselves. It'd be better to deal with the comments head on, firing them won't exactly make the thoughts and beliefs go away. But it is NPR's decision to make. I do find it strange they fired him for comments he made on another show on another network, but then again, associations probably factored into that decision.

When he pulls a Greta and migrates to Fox...will some here argue about the authenticity of Juan's negro-ness-as they think it's suppose to be?

And then at that point will our *boy Ward Connerly will come in backhand some of those more pious liberaaaals in FYM as needed?
:hmm:

Ward Connerly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Picture001.jpg

After that, shall Michael Steel be dispatched?:hug:

First black Republican leader Michael Steele says he will go after Barack Obama - Telegraph

*boy not being used in the pejorative as closet bigots and
political correctness fanatics may be prone to do.

Thank u,

<>

we all know that you only took that picture 'cause somebody put a gun to your head...

Fired, really?

Even after composing all of those classic film scores?

i know, right? dude did the fucking star wars cantina song and they just can him?

:rimshot:

honestly though... this is not an issue of free speech. NPR has the right to fire anyone they want. so they're not infringing on his right to free speech. they're just being hypocritical douchebags. and the constitution protects our rights to be douchebags. just ask christine o'donnell.

I still really don't have a problem with NPR firing him.

Are we really becoming this naïve , in the age of Facebook and little expectation of personal privacy, to be surprised that saying something stupid in a public forum, when employed in a very public job, gets someone fired? :crack:

No, firing him doesn't solve anything, really, unless you're NPR, in which case it solves everything because they're his bloody employer and they have a right to not employ idiots. Free speech my arse.

Fox+news.jpg

Fox has hired him

When one door closes, another door opens. It’s been less than a day since Juan Williams was fired by NPR, yet he’s already signed a new three-year, multi-million-dollar contract with Fox News, one that greatly expands his role there. His new home at the cable news network is a long way from the publicly broadcast NPR, but FNC Chief Roger Ailes thinks he’ll do fine. Said Ailes, “He’s an honest man whose freedom of speech is protected by Fox News on a daily basis.”

I love how the most random thread here can be six degrees separation from a self posted diamond pic

Back
Top Bottom