Juan Williams Fired From NPR - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:42 PM
That was a low blow. Real professional.

Juan Williams: 'I Don't Have a Psychiatrist'; NPR CEO 'Low' - George Stephanopoulos' Bottom Line

October 22, 2010 8:38 AM

Juan Williams was not surprised that NPR fired him this week – he said they wanted a reason to get him off the air—and told me the CEO's comments that he should talk to a "psychiatrist" was a low blow.

“I think they were looking for a reason to get rid of me. That they were uncomfortable with the idea that I was talking to the likes of Bill O’Reilly or Sean Hannity,” he told me on "GMA."

“I knew about their antagonism towards Fox. And I knew that they really didn’t like it, and as I said I have been there more than 10 years and I have seen managers come and go and who dealt with this issue. This current crew was really getting vicious,” Williams said.

NPR let Williams go after he said on Fox News that he becomes nervous when at an airport he sees “people who are dressed in Muslim garb and I think they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims.”

Vivian Schiller, NPR’s CEO, said that Williams’ comments should have been “between him and his psychiatrist or his publicist” but she later apologized. Williams – who was clearly still upset when he watched Schiller’s comments this morning -- said that was too personal.

“I don’t understand why she has to get that low. You know she has an argument to make that I somehow violated some journalistic ethics that were values of NPR, make the case,” he said. “I think it is a very weak case.”

Williams -- who said he does not have a psychiatrist –-questioned why if NPR thought he “was such an erratic character” that this didn’t come up long ago.

“This is the most ridiculous thing because then, the people at NPR and others, they take this one statement and they somehow make it out that I am a bigot,” Williams said. “I mean it's unbelievable to me given the books that I’ve written, the things I have done in my life. And now all of a sudden I’m a bigot.”

Williams admitted he could have taken the extra step to clarify his statement by saying he knew those fears were irrational – but given the context of the six minute interview he didn’t think it was necessary.

“It is visceral, it’s a feeling. And I don’t say 'I’m not getting on the plane,' I don’t say 'you must go through additional security.' I don’t say I' want to discriminate against those people.' No such thing occurs. So to me it was admitting that I have this notion, this feeling in the immediate moment,” he said.

Williams – who just got a $2 million deal for three years with Fox News – said it is making him rethink his previous beliefs about the left wing.

“I’ve always thought the right wing were ones that were inflexible and intolerant and now I’m coming to realize that the orthodoxy at NPR, its representing the left,” he said.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:42 PM
Wow, he's really positioning himself in line with his new bosses already.

They're all out to get you, Juan!

Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

wasn't juan williams already on fox every night anyways?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Right-Wingers All Rush To Say Craziest Thing About Juan Williams Firing
Old 10-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #35
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Someone take away that woman's BlackBerry... it's embarassing to humanity.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

and yet another debate is ruined by ideological douchebags. yay america.

i'm moving.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
and yet another debate is ruined by ideological douchebags. yay america.

i'm moving.
Whenever I get too frustrated with US politics I just make a couple strong drinks and read this:
Fuck the South
Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

yes, but you're canadian. it says so right in your name
Old 10-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

and that doesn't help either, 'cause i think hardcore liberals are just as big a bunch of douchebags as hard core conservatives are.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

DeMint: Time to End Taxpayer Funding of NPR, PBS - Press Releases - News Room - United States Senator Jim DeMint
Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I love how the most random thread here can be six degrees separation from a self posted diamond pic
Eerie the connections we can make here, isn't it, MrsSpringsteen ?

I got a real kick out of this quote in your bit there about him working at Fox News:

Quote:
“He’s an honest man whose freedom of speech is protected by Fox News on a daily basis.”
Hm. Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Are we really becoming this naïve , in the age of Facebook and little expectation of personal privacy, to be surprised that saying something stupid in a public forum, when employed in a very public job, gets someone fired?
I still stand by my original statements, but you do make a very good point here. It is amazing that public figures nowadays get shocked when stuff they say or do gets broadcast on all forms of media. That is the price you pay for being in the public eye. Don't like it? Then you have a choice: be careful what you say or do, especially if you know full well your words will get a reaction, or go ahead and freely say what you want anyway-you certainly have the right and I'll defend your right to say such things, but be prepared for the fallout.

What's that old saying-"Better to keep quiet and let people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and prove it"?

By the way, this incident is the very first I've ever heard of this Juan Williams guy. Funny the things that'll get people to notice you sometimes.

Angela
Old 10-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

Fox has hired him

I love how the most random thread here can be six degrees separation from a self posted diamond pic
"most random"

<>
Old 10-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #43
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Whenever I get too frustrated with US politics I just make a couple strong drinks and read this:
Fuck the South
I've never seen that before. That's some funny shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
and that doesn't help either, 'cause i think hardcore liberals are just as big a bunch of douchebags as hard core conservatives are.
Us "moderates" are trapped between a douche and a dickbag. That's why I like the rent is too damn high guy. I don't pay rent, never actually have, but I like his gumption.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #44
has a

I am a public radio financial supporter, and I agree with NPR's firing of Juan. I know his appearances on Fox News have been an issue for a while, and I think this was just an easy out for NPR. Well, it should have been an easy out, but wow, did they handle it poorly.

It still amazes me how many people love to consume corporate-owned media. NPR (and PBS) is the closest thing we have to an independent media in the U.S.
People have been bullshitted by corporate media for so long, they don't even know what real journalism is.

I think NPR should go balls out and give up their 2 percent funding from the CPB and the NEA. Like it has been said, it is only loosely government money, and I think NPR execs are smart enough to make a 2 percent cut work within the organization.
Hell, I'd be willing to write another check today for NPR just to wave it in Jim DeMint's face and tell him to focus on the real issues facing our country FFS.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #45
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Fired, really?

Even after composing all of those classic film scores?
I LOLed.