Joseph Lowery's Racist Prayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
“….help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right.”

~from Joseph Lowery’s benediction"

This offends me and should offend people of all races.

It is so typical of the so-called leaders of civil rights leaders who treat “black” as the only race that has ever suffered prejudice and keep focusing on past injustices.

Get over it! Every person, no matter what race, has ancestors who were once slaves.

And they totally ignore Dr. King's word for us to judge people by their character, not the color of their skin.

When will Lowery and some others throw away their ""racist crayon boxes"
and stop trying to divide us?

This offends me and should offend people of all races.
Why does it offend you?
It is so typical of the so-called leaders of civil rights leaders who treat “black” as the only race that has ever suffered prejudice and keep focusing on past injustices.
This is quite ignorant and offensive in and of itself...
Get over it! Every person, no matter what race, has ancestors who were once slaves.
Really, tell me when your ancestors had to enter a theater from the back while in America?

When was the last time you heard "he's pretty articulate for a white man"?

How much of your race is disproportionately place in poverty or prison.

When was the last time you sat on a bus next to someone who wasn't your skin color and they got scared and moved somewhere else?

You've done a good job fulfilling the southern stereotype today. Thanks. : (

But if he'd said something about smoking not being nearly as bad as people think or global warming being made up, you'd be all for it.

I thought the Our Father was ridiculous, as were his repeated invocations of Jesus. These prayers are usually generic, but this one appealed to nobody outside of Christians.

I think very little of this man.

The nerve of a Christian minister to pray a Christian prayer.

the nerve of a Christian minister to pray in front of the most religiously diverse country on earth and choose a prayer that only has meaning for some, not for all. most Christian ministers in the past have invoked a higher power, none have said the Lord's Prayer. i wonder how you'd feel if we'd heard a prayer to Zeus?

and good for Obama for including non-believers.

so don't ask a Christian minister to say the prayer, or don't have a prayer.

did you hear Rev. Robinson's invocation before the concert?

that was a good example of a Christian minister remembering that not everyone shares his faith, and that his faith isn't the only one that counts.

but, were it up to me, i'd have no prayer at all.

did you hear Rev. Robinson's invocation before the concert?

that was a good example of a Christian minister remembering that not everyone shares his faith, and that his faith isn't the only one that counts.

that's fair.

i just find it odd that they asked a very conservative, evangelical Christian, and then people are complaining he invokes the name of Jesus.

you can pray to Zeus, mother earth, Buddha or whoever and it won't offend me one bit. i really don't understand why people are so sensitive to others exclusive claims. i understand that other people hold beliefs very dearly that are in direct conflict with mine, and exclude me based on my beliefs. i would find it far more offensive that anyone would change a prayer, so that is not authentic to their beliefs. i am perfectly secure in what i believe, and nothing you could pray would change that or offend me. :shrug:

i've thought inviting Warren was a mistake from the beginning, and he lived up to why i thought it was a mistake. it's less that my belief system -- or lack of a belief system -- was threatened or offended, and more that i felt his direct prayer to Jesus was offensive to a multicultural society.

My preference also.

And watching at home on the tv I was able to go off and do other stuff during the religious stuff, so that worked out well. :)

Actually the only part of either Lowery's or whats his name's bits that actually registered was what the iron horse noted (incorrectly, I might add -- it's not "when black will not be asked to give back" it's "when black will not be asked to get in back". Makes a difference). Unlike the iron horse however, I laughed and thought, "damn! That's pretty accurate!" :)

that's fair.

i just find it odd that they asked a very conservative, evangelical Christian, and then people are complaining he invokes the name of Jesus.

you can pray to Zeus, mother earth, Buddha or whoever and it won't offend me one bit. i really don't understand why people are so sensitive to others exclusive claims. i understand that other people hold beliefs very dearly that are in direct conflict with mine, and exclude me based on my beliefs. i would find it far more offensive that anyone would change a prayer, so that is not authentic to their beliefs. i am perfectly secure in what i believe, and nothing you could pray would change that or offend me. :shrug:

There's a pretty good amount of disrespect for non-Christian beliefs in America, especially a lack of religious belief. I think a prayer in a government ceremony perpetuates the myth that Christianity is the religious belief of America, when it's not.

more that i felt his direct prayer to Jesus was offensive to a multicultural society.

why is that offensive? really trying to understand, not meant to be antagonistic. I just don't understand why that offends. If you don't believe Jesus is any more than some poor carpenter that lived a long time ago, who cares? Why would you not just shrug it off. i would think, that it just seems ridiculous to you, and you wouldn't care. isn't that prayer supposed to be for the president and his presidency? doesn't it makes sense to have a christian prayer for a president professing to be a Christian? didn't obama have the choice on who would say the prayer? i would expect if we elect a Buddhist to be president, they would want a prayer that invokes the name of Buddha. would that be offensive to you? it wouldn't to me, again it wouldn't effect me one bit.

i just don't get why people get so worked up, how did it effect your day, or life? how did it offend you?

why is that offensive? really trying to understand, not meant to be antagonistic. I just don't understand why that offends. If you don't believe Jesus is any more than some poor carpenter that lived a long time ago, who cares? Why would you not just shrug it off. i would think, that it just seems ridiculous to you, and you wouldn't care. isn't that prayer supposed to be for the president and his presidency? doesn't it makes sense to have a christian prayer for a president professing to be a Christian? didn't obama have the choice on who would say the prayer? i would expect if we elect a Buddhist to be president, they would want a prayer that invokes the name of Buddha. would that be offensive to you? it wouldn't to me, again it wouldn't effect me one bit.

i just don't get why people get so worked up, how did it effect your day, or life? how did it offend you?

firstly, this was my reaction on a persona level. it doesn't offend me, as i've said. i'm pretty agnostic on the Jesus thing. i think you can respect his teachings and not believe in miracles, and that's pretty much where i stand. i find lots of wisdom in Buddhism as well.

but the reason why it offends me on a broader, cultural level is because i know people who aren't christian and who are reminded of this every day. it offends me because they are participants in this society and full, equal citizens, and to hear the government endorse a specific religion is a way to remind them and reinforce that they're different.

but above all, it's simply rude, because it intentionally leaves people out. you remember those rules from kindergarten? it's bad manners to be exclusionary.

Well as a Christian I was happy to see the President's specific mention of non-believers-and I'm fully aware that we are all full and equal citizens. I see him continuing in that vein in his Presidency, so unless he indicates otherwise I'm not worried. I think 4 years (or more) will ultimately be more important than one day. We will see the difference between him and Bush in terms of the role of religion.

I was startled when I watched it to see that Warren wasn't even trying to be nondenominational with his invocation, because that's the expected standard for public events. If you're going to have a prayer on such an occasion, it ain't that hard to compose a nice nondenominational one; I've heard dozens of them over the years at interfaith charity and citizen action events. The prayer is supposed to be for everyone in attendance, not just the President.

Last edited:
firstly, this was my reaction on a persona level. it doesn't offend me, as i've said. i'm pretty agnostic on the Jesus thing. i think you can respect his teachings and not believe in miracles, and that's pretty much where i stand. i find lots of wisdom in Buddhism as well.

but the reason why it offends me on a broader, cultural level is because i know people who aren't christian and who are reminded of this every day. it offends me because they are participants in this society and full, equal citizens, and to hear the government endorse a specific religion is a way to remind them and reinforce that they're different.

but above all, it's simply rude, because it intentionally leaves people out. you remember those rules from kindergarten? it's bad manners to be exclusionary.

fair enough. thank you for your answer.

so it would offend you, for the same reasons, if the prayer was done in the name of allah, budda, or whoever?

I was startled when I watched it to see that Warren wasn't even trying to be nondenominational with his invocation, because that's the expected standard for public events. If you're going to have a prayer on such an occasion, it ain't that hard to compose a nice nondenominational one; I've heard dozens of them over the years at interfaith charity and citizen action events. The prayer is supposed to be for everyone in attendance, not just the President.

I think Rick Warren does whatever he wants to do regardless of expected standards. Part of the error in choosing him, perhaps.

Inaugural Prayers Through History -- The Ultimate Archive - Steven Waldman

Why do Christians always invoke Buddha when they want to make a point about how open and tolerant they are? :scratch:

plug into my example whatever other religious belief you want. sorry for using buddha.

you know thats what it the christian manual, on how to look tolerant- right? :wink: i guess i'll have to stop using that example- since christians 'always' use it now.

so if i said Allah, that would make my "fake" tolerance, look more realistic? i need to right this down, for future reference.

I think Rick Warren does whatever he wants to do regardless of expected standards. Part of the error in choosing him, perhaps.

Inaugural Prayers Through History -- The Ultimate Archive - Steven Waldman

Man, Billy Graham has prayed at a lot of inaugurations. That's not surprising as he's been a spiritual adviser to every president dating back to Truman, I believe. Ironically enough, he's been a registered Democrat his entire life. I wonder how the Christian Right feels about that. I suppose John Hagee and Rod Parsley would love to tell him he's going to Hell for that most offensive sin.:|

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom