"John McCain - the man who never was"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had he shown the slightest interest in his friend John Kerry’s importunings, he might well have been the Democratic vice-presidential nominee in 2004.

That would've been quite the interesting ticket. Kinda curious as to how that matchup would have worked out.

Politics being what they are, I can understand to a degree playing around with your stances on an issue to try and play the political game, and I can understand genuinely changing your mind on an issue. People do that all the time, and there's nothing inherently wrong with changing your mind now and then. But you still need to have some sense of your true self in there somewhere no matter what happens. I only truly became aware of McCain in 2008-I remember learning about him some in school, but I was able to properly observe him a bit more during the last presidential election. From what I've heard and seen about him, he does seem to be the kind of guy that likes to create mischief and get people all riled up. I do believe he really did actually have moments of honest, genuine belief that snuck out over the years-I honestly think every politician has that aspect of themselves pop out every now and again. Unfortunately, that mindset never seems to win you elections. Even trying to buy your way into office didn't seem to work for him. Basically, it seems McCain needed a thicker skin and a willingness to handle losing properly, and neither existed. His story seems to play like a Greek tragedy, actually. Luckily he's got his daughter, Meghan, to pick up the ball-I really, truly wish the GOP would meet with her, she'd bring some much needed refreshing changes to that party

Last fall, during his review of his strategy for Afghanistan, Obama met with McCain and other members of Congress. It was at a moment when Dick Cheney and other Republicans were accusing Obama of dithering.

Oh, that is just rich. And as for Hayworth's dubious honor-gee, that's...nice (and kind of surprising, given how many people would be deserving of such a title). It is comforting to know somebody like that lost the election.

Angela

Nightline Exclusive: Interview with Sen. John McCain - ABC News

Sen. John McCain is not afraid to use fighting words.

After lashing out at Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif. during a campaign speech for her opponent, Republican Senate candidate Carly Fiorina, on Saturday, McCain continued to bash the incumbent democrat off-stage.

"[Working with Boxer] has been an unpleasant experience because Barbara Boxer personalizes the political discourse that we have and that's why she's had so very little effect of any kind in the political process," the Arizona Republican told Terry Moran of ABC News' "Nightline" in an exclusive interview after the campaign event. "There is no Republican that will work with her."

McCain, 74, had ripped into Boxer during his appearance at the Fiorina event in San Diego immediately before, accusing Boxer of being anti-military and endangering American national security.

"[Fiorina] will never waive the white flag of surrender the way that Barbara Boxer has tried to do every single time we have been in a conflict," McCain told his audience at the Veterans Museum in Balboa Park.

"Barbara Boxer is the most bitterly partisan, the most anti-defense Senator in the U.S. Senate today," he said. "I know that because I have had the unpleasant experience of having to serve with her."

In his first extensive television interview since defeating Hayworth in the Arizona primary, echoes from the 2008 election lingered as McCain again said he supported his former running mate former Alaskan governor Sarah Palin.

"I haven't seen anyone since Ronald Reagan that with certain individuals and large groups of individuals who really have this passionate belief and support for her," he said, "It's really a remarkable thing to observe."

McCain also again defended his decision to bring Palin onto the national scene under his name.

"I couldn't be more proud of the campaign she waged," he said. "I couldn't be more proud of her or her performance and her continued performance. So, I think, you begin to think about legacy and I think that Sarah Palin will play a very big role in the American political scene for a very long time."

what the heck happened to John McCain????? Not that i believe in such a thing, but the dude really sold his soul to keep getting elected.

He used to be fairly moderate and sold his soul to the Republican brass to run for President.

He's spent so much of the last 10 years pandering to old scared people in AZ and has become one of them.

Sad.

He's an impotent(literally or not I don't know about that) older man married to a very wealthy younger woman, power would be the only way he can feel worthy in his family standing.

"[Working with Boxer] has been an unpleasant experience because Barbara Boxer personalizes the political discourse that we have and that's why she's had so very little effect of any kind in the political process,"

"Hey, pot, this is kettle calling..."

And of course, naturally, any attempt to alter the defense budget even a smidge obviously means you're "anti-defense". 'Cause even though the Republicans are so deadset on lower taxes and reducing the deficit and all that jazz, they can't seem to bring themselves to go all the way with that belief.

And his comments about Sarah Palin :eyebrow: :huh: :crack:. Just further evidence of how much attention he's paid to her.

Angela

John McCain has (repeatedly) sold his soul to follow wherever the winds are blowing in his party. Of course he can't possibly say a bad thing about Sarah Palin, because that's where the wind is blowing right now. If the wind had blown towards a more reasoned, intellectual shift in Republican direction, I have little doubt that he'd have the same venomous words for Sarah Palin that he has for Boxer.

Back
Top Bottom