Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post

Isn't that a flattering picture?

not really

I'd say he looks better and happier here

Old 08-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #92
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:31 PM
He fucked up his political career real good. Good thing he's a wealthy mofo. His mistress really isn't that ugly though, somebody took a bad picture of her.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #93
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 12:31 PM
i wouldn't say his political career is fucked up, because think of how many "Scandals" there are in amongst the polititions and congressmen and senators and all of them.
I also don't think his having an affair makes a jot of difference on how he would run the country, or have his career. I think being a realist, and knowing how many people stray, its not a shocking moment. Why do we hold polititions up to such a high moral standard?
Old 08-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #94
New Yorker

Hey Edwards could make a comeback if decided to in the future, but he's definitely radiocative now. He was whispered as a possible VP candidate for Obama's campaign. Was he a favorite? Probably not, but he totally fucked up his chances with the affair out in the open. It's one thing to be caught like Bill Clinton with Lewinsky during prosperous times and another thing to be caught cheating on a cancer stricken wife. Edwards comes off more douchey as a result, especially since his wife is more sympathetic than Hillary.

People want to believe they can trust their elected officials. It's the voters money and way of life that are involved. Some people want to vote for someone they can believe in and trust. Adultery is a personal matter but you can't help think in the back of your mind that if a leader can that easily lie and cheat on his wife (who happens to be the mother of his children, closest to him in terms of personal relationships, and suffering from cancer) then one could think that a guy like Edwards could easily cheat and lie to his constituency, with little hesitation.

Adulterty amongst the rich and powerful isn't surprising but it is a distasteful character defect to some voters. Cheating on your sick wife and lying about it to the media? Such actions aren't endearing to the voter and make Edwards come off as slime. Who wants to vote for a slimey douche? Not many people, that I know of would. It's bad enough that he's a politician AND trial lawyer. An affair just ups his hate-ability factor.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:10 AM   #95
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I think this is an excellent opportunity for an Obama / Edwards ticket.

"Obama / Edwards 2008: HITTIN THAT SHIT RITE!!!" <--- That's a catchy goddamn slogan. You'd have to be a crazy right wing lunatic to not vote for that. And they can make little .gifs of the US flag waving and then slappin that ass. Sicy / Lila - please make said .gif. THANKS!
Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #96
Refugee

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coemgen View Post
That's another sad thing in all of this — the National Enquirer broke a real news story.
That's what I said.....I knew that the Inquirer wouldn't risk a lawsuit by printing a false story if it could be proven false....which it wasn't.

I feel sorry for Mrs. Edwards.....to deal with a life-threatening illness AND her husband's infidelity.

My hat is off to her......
Old 08-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
That's what I said.....I knew that the Inquirer wouldn't risk a lawsuit by printing a false story if it could be proven false....
Right, luckily for the Enquirer John Edwards isn't one of those big $$ trial lawyers who lives in the largest house in North Carolina because of his success in winning lawsuits against deep-pocketed corporations?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #98
The Fly

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Right, luckily for the Enquirer John Edwards isn't one of those big $$ trial lawyers who lives in the largest house in North Carolina because of his success in winning lawsuits against deep-pocketed corporations?
Awesome
Old 08-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
That's what I said.....I knew that the Inquirer wouldn't risk a lawsuit by printing a false story if it could be proven false....which it wasn't.
Then I guess you also believe that Bush has been drinking and Laura is about to leave him?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

The man is human. He had an affair.

What makes me scratch my head and pisses me off is that I believe the child is his and I believe he is lying about it.

1) He visited the woman after telling his wife about the affair at 2:30 AM? What? To meet the baby, not his, but fathered by her new boyfriend? What?

2) I belive he had discussed with her the paternity issue. It seems awful convenient that he offered to take the test, and she 24 hours later comes out and says no....something smells.

3) Finally, I would say that any person that has an affair, and is truly on the road to recovery, does not seek out contact with the other person.

I can deal with the affair. I do not believe his actions after the affair, and waiting until the opening night of the olympics to come clean, are the actions of a man who has regret.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
The man is human. He had an affair.

What makes me scratch my head and pisses me off is that I believe the child is his and I believe he is lying about it.

1) He visited the woman after telling his wife about the affair at 2:30 AM? What? To meet the baby, not his, but fathered by her new boyfriend? What?
The NYT today suggests that he went to meet her and her spiritual advisor (who contacted Edwards). It doesn't seem like he thought the baby would be there.

I have to admit that I assumed the same thing as you - the kid is his. But I wouldn't really bet my life on it either.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #102
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Then I guess you also believe that Bush has been drinking and Laura is about to leave him?

That would be awesome!

But then who really cares what goes on in these politicians or in any celebrity's life? We all have our skeletons in the closet, we all have our ups and downs and our own baggage so what makes one of us any different from the other? In the end we're only human and sh*t happens, you know?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #103
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The NYT today suggests that he went to meet her and her spiritual advisor (who contacted Edwards). It doesn't seem like he thought the baby would be there.

I have to admit that I assumed the same thing as you - the kid is his. But I wouldn't really bet my life on it either.
I have abandonment issues that may be clouding my judgement.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

If he had been the nominee, well it probably would have been game over. For that reason if for no other, it matters. Some of what he is saying just does not pass the smell test-and the way he kept mentioning that the Enquirer is a tabloid during the Nightline interview, well that tabloid was right about his affair. Now he is allegedly angry at ABC for leaking and promoting the interview early Friday, because he wanted it just on Nightline for the start of the weekend/the Olympics so that people would be busy with other things.

At least he admitted that his egotism and narcissism led him to believe he could do whatever he wanted, I give him points for at least being honest about that.

Edwards on Bill Clinton on Feb. 12, 1999:

"I think this President has shown a remarkable disrespect for his office, for the moral dimensions of leadership, for his friends, for his wife, for his precious daughter. It is breathtaking to me the level to which that disrespect has risen."

Later, Edwards debated whether Clinton intended to obstruct justice when he talked with a White House employee:

"We have a man who has just been confronted with this problem, who is political by nature. And do we really believe that the first thing he thought about is, "I'm going to go protect myself legally'"? I suspect the first thing he thought about is "I'm going to protect myself politically.'' He was worried about his family finding out. He was worried about the rest of the staff finding out. He was worried about the press finding out."
Old 08-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

or maybe not...

I hadn't heard that Jay McInerney was her former boyfriend

NY Times

August 10, 2008
Op-Ed Columnist
Keeping It Rielle
By MAUREEN DOWD

WASHINGTON

John Edwards’s confession was a little bit breathtaking.

Not the sex stuff. That happens here all the time.

And certainly not covering up the sex stuff. That happens here all the time, too. First people uncover; then they cover up. Nobody’s ever had sex with that woman until, suddenly, they have.

The stunning admission Edwards made to ABC’s Bob Woodruff, and in a written statement from Chapel Hill on Friday afternoon, was that he’s a narcissist.

He admitted that wallowing in “self-focus” out on the trail and thinking you’re “special” can result in a solipsism that “leads you to believe you can do whatever you want, you’re invincible and there’ll be no consequences.”

Auto-psychoanalysis by the perp. That’s really rich. When Bill Clinton acknowledged an affair, after equally adamant denials, he simply went into an old-fashioned spiral of penitence, his allegedly long, dark night of his alleged soul.

Even in confessing to preening, Edwards was preening. His diagnosis of narcissism was weirdly narcissistic, or was it self-narcissistic? Given his diagnosis, I’m sure his H.M.O. would pay.

The creepiest part of his creepy confession was when he stressed to Woodruff that he cheated on Elizabeth in 2006 when her cancer was in remission. His infidelity was oncologically correct.

So narcissist walks into a New York bar and meets a legendarily wacky former Gotham party girl — whose ’80s exploits were chronicled in a novel by her former boyfriend Jay McInerney because the behavior of her and her friends “intrigued and appalled me.” When you appall Jay McInerney, you know you’re in trouble.

The president manqué gives Rielle Hunter, formerly Lisa Druck, more than $114,000 to shoot vain little videos for his Web site (even though she’s a neophyte), one of which is scored with the song “True Reflections” about the Narcissus pool, which goes: “When you look into a mirror, do you like what’s looking at you? Now that you’ve seen your true reflections, what on earth are you gonna do?”

He has an affair with Hunter, while he’s honing his speech on the imperative to “live in a moral, honest, just America.” A married former aide says he’s the father when she gets pregnant, even though she’s telling people Edwards is the dad. And one of his campaign donors pays off Hunter to get her resettled with the baby out of North Carolina.

But the Breck Girl wants a gold star for the fact that he sent his marriage into remission when his wife was in remission. That’s special.

In his statement, he bleats: “You cannot beat me up more than I have already beaten up myself. I have been stripped bare.” Isn’t stripping bare how he got into this mess?

It isn’t like we didn’t know that the son of a millworker was a little enraptured by himself, radiating self-love from his smile and his man-in-a-hurry airs and the notorious $800 bill for a pair of haircuts and his two-minute YouTube hair primping to the tune of “I Feel Pretty.”

Certain men assume that power confers sexual privilege. And in American politics, there is an eternal disjunction between character and achievement. Sinners do good things, saints do bad things.

Still, it’s bizarre the way these pols spend millions getting their faces plastered everywhere and then think they can do something in secret. “Yeah, I didn’t think anyone would ever know about it, I didn’t,” Edwards said.

In one of the Web films Hunter directed, he actually flirts with the blonde, laughingly telling her that his address on morality is “a great speech” and complaining, “Why don’t you hear me give it live?”

For some reason, super-strivers have a need to sell what is secretly weakest about themselves, as if they yearn for unmasking. Edwards’s decency and concern for the weak in society — except for his own wife. Bill Clinton’s intellect and love of community — except for his stupidity and destructiveness about Monica. Bush the Younger’s jocular, I’m-in-charge self-confidence — except for turning over his presidency, as no president ever has, to his Veep. Eliot Spitzer’s crusade for truth, justice and the American way — except at home.

In the Hunter video titled “Plane Truths,” Edwards is relaxing on his plane, telling the out-of-frame director: “I’ve come to the personal conclusion that I actually want the country to see who I am, who I really am, but I don’t know what the result of that will be. But for me personally, I’d rather be successful or unsuccessful based on who I really am, not based on some plastic Ken doll that you put up in front of audiences.” Ken couldn’t have said it better.

Back in 2002, Edwards sent me a Ken doll dressed in bathing trunks, Rio de Janeiro Ken, with a teasing note, because he didn’t like my reference to him as a Ken doll in a column.

In retrospect, the comparison was not fair — to Ken.