John Edwards Love Child Scandal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait, what? She thought she'd be taking chaste, matronly pictures and somehow got conned into taking her pants off?

You're envisioning an awfully gullible (and frankly, not very bright) person, apparently.

"Yes" to your first statement (not a strong yes, but not impossible). "Perhaps" to your second statement. Haven't you ever seen how otherwise normal people blindly do what a photographer tells them (trusting that they are the expert that knows how to make them look good)?

Again, I can't really believe I've taken this position and am trying to defend it. But, whatever. I think it's sleaze all around (Edwards, Hunter, and GQ).

Last edited:
So, you're changing the focus of this topic from Hunter to my sig?

Anyway, it is quite naive to think a grown woman would be forced to take her pants off for a photo shoot. Like Diemen said, you're envisioning a gullible and not very bright woman.

That's why I said "she is" for your "crazy or calculating" line.

Haven't you ever seen how otherwise normal people blindly do what a photographer tells them (trusting that they are the expert that knows how to make them look good)?

If she had said "You know, when we were doing the shoot I really didn't think these pictures would look this slutty" I could buy that. But no way am I buying her I-thought-they-were-just-taking-photos-of-my-face crap.

Of course in the grand scheme of things this stuff really doesn't matter. John Edwards and all this drama is not much more than a time waster for me, although I will say today it did provide a welcome giggle. :)

I'm getting out of this discussion while I still can. No one likes being attacked or criticized (me especially). In fact I like your sig, and generally agree with that statement.

I'm getting out of this discussion while I still can. No one likes being attacked or criticized (me especially). In fact I like your sig, and generally agree with that statement.

OK, maybe I was harsh by calling you naive. I was just taken aback by you suggesting that Hunter was taken advantage of when there's no way she was. Plus, sometimes I overreact to things, and clearly I did it again.

Haven't you ever seen how otherwise normal people blindly do what a photographer tells them (trusting that they are the expert that knows how to make them look good)?

Oh, sure I have. Normally I won't tilt my head and then turn my chin back towards the camera, but I'll do that if a photographer tells me to. I'm sure as hell not going to go into a chaste portrait session and then take my pants off because the photog thinks it's a good idea, though. Again, you must take Hunter to be extremely gullible and not all that bright if you think that's what happened.

Really, my only reaction to this "scandal" is that it's none of our business. And, as such, who cares? Edwards did the right thing by dropping out the presidential race. Anything beyond that is the provenance of busybodies.

Really, my only reaction to this "scandal" is that it's none of our business. And, as such, who cares? Edwards did the right thing by dropping out the presidential race. Anything beyond that is the provenance of busybodies.

Completely agree. Ditto for the Tiger Woods 'scandal'. Time to move on from puritanical obsessing over other peoples' sex lives. In France this would be a nothing.

I don't think her looks are the point or relevant at all to his cheating. It reminds me of all the comments about Tiger's mistresses (gee his wife is so beautiful and how could he-well she certainly is but that's not the point. Somehow there's an implication that less beautiful wives, well it's more understandable/acceptable) or that woman that Steve Phillips was involved with. As if cheating with a beautiful woman is somehow more understandable and/or acceptable.

Not defending adultery in any case, especially when one's spouse is terminally ill

I thought I made my views on the topic crystal clear in my original post.

Sorry.

I would never make the implication that it was somehow ok with a more attractive woman, far from it. Just made an observation, that with all the 18-25 yr olds who used to tell me "he's hot."

Yes I used to think he was attractive-but now, with all that has been revealed about him I don't at all. Actually he's repulsive to me, including physically repulsive. Physical attractiveness is about character too-and to me his is severely lacking/nonexistent.

Agreed. If I know a girl to be lacking in character/not a nice person/manipulative/a liar or a selfish jerk, whatever, then to me, it does not matter how attractive they are. I have been put off my many an attractive girl's other traits.......

I have always thought John Edwards was severely lacking or non existent in the character department, so no love loss there!

Oh, sure I have. Normally I won't tilt my head and then turn my chin back towards the camera, but I'll do that if a photographer tells me to. I'm sure as hell not going to go into a chaste portrait session and then take my pants off because the photog thinks it's a good idea, though. Again, you must take Hunter to be extremely gullible and not all that bright if you think that's what happened.

Agreed!

And lets all remember, this is the same woman who had NO problem at all having a sexual relationship with John Edwards when she knew full well, along with the rest of the country that not only was he married, his wife is terminaly ill. She even speaks of the "wrath of Elizabeth" etc.

Edwards is no doubt a scumbag, I have never thought different. But she must be a total scumbag as well. It takes 2 after all, and she has not exactly been shy in talking to the tabloids and feeding them information. So the photos need to be taken in that context. All she is doing is drumming up publicity, and if she can, while in the spotlight, throw down the victim card, all the better. More publicity, more money, etc.

No way in hell she did not know what she was posing for, you don't just take off your pants for a photographer unless you expect some revealing photos to turn up somewhere.

Pearl is right, she is crazy, and no, that is not judging a person, it is judging their actions. Action after action has shown this to be true.

One thing's for sure, these 2 were made for eachother!

OK, maybe I was harsh by calling you naive. I was just taken aback by you suggesting that Hunter was taken advantage of when there's no way she was. Plus, sometimes I overreact to things, and clearly I did it again.

Thanks. No problem. I knew what I was getting into. Your comments were fair. It was late last night, after a brutal day, when I posted that, and I was a little irritable.

In the video provided to ABC by GQ the photographer's assistant showed her the photos on a laptop-so unless they showed her some and not others she knew exactly what they looked like. They would have had to add the pantless part somehow after that fact in order to "trick" her.

That Andrew Young guy claims that Rielle and "Johnny" still think he can have a political career-that other people have come out of affair scandals, such as Bill Clinton.

In the video provided to ABC by GQ the photographer's assistant showed her the photos on a laptop-so unless they showed her some and not others she knew exactly what they looked like. They would have had to add the pantless part somehow after that fact in order to "trick" her.

That Andrew Young guy claims that Rielle and "Johnny" still think he can have a political career-that other people have come out of affair scandals, such as Bill Clinton.

Where can we see the video that GQ provided to ABC?

Calling all cars. Calling all cars. Be on the lookout for a blond haired, 5' 11" weasel. Last known whereabouts his sprawling 6 million dollar mansion in "Two Americas" North Carolina.

Edwards will make a fine edition to the Rich Folks Minimum Security Facility rowing team.

I guess his daughter was standing by his side because she can't fathom her young brother and sister possibly being without their mother and their father. I feel sorry for the kids too.

What a lying hypocrite.

"I'm like, I don't believe this shit." That's the opening line of Jay McInerney's Story of My Life. The thought is coming from Alison Poole, the protagonist of the novel (if you can use that term). McInerney based the character of Alison Poole on a woman he dated in the ’80s. Her name back then was Lisa Druck. She later married a guy named Alexander Hunter III and changed her name to Rielle Hunter. Then she had an affair with presidential candidate John Edwards. The rest is tabloid history. This shit really is hard to believe.
With those first two words — "I'm like" — it is clear that this is not your classic life story. Compare, for instance, the first sentence of Hans Christian Andersen's The True Story of My Life. It goes, "My life is a lovely story, happy and full of incident." Or this from Helen Keller's Story of My Life: "The beginning of my life was simple and much like every other little life." The central difference here is that Andersen and Keller mean it literally — this is the story of my life. Alison Poole uses "story of my life" as a turn of phrase, as in "got caught out in the rain again, story of my life." It is an ironic distancing that is practically the opposite of the act of ownership that usually accompanies the telling of one's life story. Poole's life story is buffered by a constant cynicism. She is constantly trying to figure out the three greatest lies in life. The first two are "the check is in the mail" and "I won't come in your mouth." At the end of the novel she is reminded of the third: "I love you."

Whatever name she goes by — Alison Poole, Lisa Druck, Rielle Hunter — she jumps out of McInerney's book and into the ages. After her stint as a New York party girl in the ’80s she drifted to Los Angeles where she became Mrs. Hunter. Her father-in-law, Alexander Munro Hunter, was the prosecutor in the JonBenet Ramsey murder case. The unbelievable shit just kept piling up. She divorced and then in 2007 she got pregnant with John Edwards’ child. He denied it for as long as he could, finally getting caught (by The National Enquirer) hiding in the bathroom of the Beverly Hilton during a secret rendezvous with Ms. Hunter. In her recently published memoir, Elizabeth Edwards (John's wife) calls Rielle "pathetic." But the charge doesn't stick. Somehow, through all the goofy plot twists, Rielle Hunter is the only one telling the truth. It is John Edwards who, in words Alison Poole would have used, is just another in a long line of cocks with hairdos. Poole/Druck/Hunter, by contrast, won't soon be forgotten. Story of her life. • 7 July 2009

The Smart Set: True Story - July 7, 2009

MANHATTAN — A call girl working for alleged "Millionaire Madam" Anna Gristina told investigators she was paid to have sex with former U.S. Sen. John Edwards when he was in New York raising money for his failed presidential bid, DNAinfo has learned.
Edwards is the first big name to surface in connection to Gristina's alleged prostitution scheme run out of an Upper East Side apartment.
Edwards' lawyer declined to comment when reached Wednesday. On Thursday morning, his attorneys issued a statement to Politico and other news outlets saying their client "categorically" denied the allegation. Later Thursday morning, DNAinfo was contacted by Edwards' attorney, Abbe Lowell, demanding a retraction.
DNAinfo stands by its story.

I felt sorry for his daughter yesterday. He's the reason her mother and her mother's raw pain was brought into that trial, since he was so publicly sorry about that in front of the mics and cameras.

What a dirtbag.

I feel ashamed for once liking this guy... hopefully the fact that I was thirteen years old or so when I last liked him is a pass. He's the Democrats' version of Sarah Palin, but a lot nastier.

I felt sorry for his daughter yesterday. He's the reason her mother and her mother's raw pain was brought into that trial, since he was so publicly sorry about that in front of the mics and cameras.

What a dirtbag.

That's a very simplistic analysis.

This whole trial is like a soap opera starring a bunch of kooky weirdos. And Edwards is a dirtbag.

Back
Top Bottom