John Boehner, House Speaker, Will Resign From Congress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since Boehner doesn't have to worry about political pressure and threats to his position from passing a clean funding bill, there shouldn't be a shutdown. He can easily go to Democrats to get the votes since there are no consequences for him now (that's why him resigning reduces the chances of a shutdown).

Don't know what'll happen when McCarthy becomes Speaker though. I hear he's well regarded by the GOP caucus, but Speaker is a whole other level above Majority Leader, and I'm skeptical he has the clout to keep his caucus together. He's only been in Congress since 2007, vs Boehner who's been there since 1990. Relationships are huge and McCarthy doesn't seem to have them.

This is a huge reason for our debt and lack of bipartisanship on both sides. Politicians are not willing to make the tough cuts and choices because someone won't be happy. Can't appease everyone all the time.

This is why spending has to be cut. Major changes have to be done. We're just doing the same thing we did last time and that didnt work out too well since we're back in this hole again.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Or should taxes be raised on the wealthiest? Back to rates not seen since the 1950s?

Basically we're screwed either way.
If we get shut down, they'll end up making BS compromises to end it.
If we don't get shut down, they'll end up making BS compromises to prevent it.
Blaming one singular party or one singular person for this will get us nowhere. But of course, we have an election coming up so everything will hinge on politics as usual. Blame the opposite party for everything and take no fault within their own party.
We need a leadership overhaul in our country. We need new leaders in congress and a new president. What's going on now isn't working and is worse than it's ever been.

You realize that the present shutdown threats have nothing to do with debt and everything to do with Planned Parenthood?

Also, it's entirely fair to blame a goventment shutdown on one party. Entirely.

This is why I don't waste my time talking to you. You are delusional.

I admit, I've never heard that before.

But I'll talk to you.

I want to know, why do you think the Democrats would also be to blame of the government is shut down? Is it because they refuse to negotiate with terrorists?

Last edited:
Today, Boehner described Tea Party leaders in Congress as "false prophets" for promising things that can never be legislatively delivered. Eric Cantor at the same time has penned an op-ed in the NY Times saying the same and educating his own party followers on how laws are passed constitutionally. The GOP is coming apart at the seams, slowly but surely.

Today, Boehner described Tea Party leaders in Congress as "false prophets" for promising things that can never be legislatively delivered. Eric Cantor at the same time has penned an op-ed in the NY Times saying the same and educating his own party followers on how laws are passed constitutionally. The GOP is coming apart at the seams, slowly but surely.

And not soon enough. The fringe elements of the party need to get it over with and split. It'll be better for everyone.

Eric Cantor at the same time has penned an op-ed in the NY Times saying the same and educating his own party followers on how laws are passed constitutionally.

Ooooooooh, I'll need to check that out.

And "false prophets" is a spot on description of the party.

The GOP is coming apart at the seams, slowly but surely.

Now if only we could get their support base to realize how messed up their platform truly is.

Back
Top Bottom