John Allen Muhammad execution set for Nov. 10, should there be a Stay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
John Allen Muhammad execution set for Nov. 10 | Richmond Times-Dispatch

A Nov. 10 execution date has been set for John Allen Muhammad, one of two snipers whose murder rampage left 10 dead and a half dozen wounded in four states and the District of Columbia.
He was sentenced to death in Virginia in 2004 for the Oct. 9, 2002, capital murder of Dean Meyers in Prince William County.
One of Muhammad’s lawyers and the Virginia attorney general’s office said the execution date was set this morning in Prince William County Circuit Court.
Muhammad’s accomplice, Lee Boyd Malvo, is serving life in prison.
—Frank Green

gfx.php

For those who believe in the death penalty, I'd say Diamond is correct that most US residents would associate punishment with the severity of the charges.

I'm not sure if he deserves the death penalty. I'd like to see him serve a life sentence where he could live with the agony of his guilt. That is, if he has any.

Ya, I dont believe in the death penalty, but if you do, this one pretty much sums up what its to be used for

so is there anyone here that believes in the death penalty and thinks this guy doesnt deserve it? Or is this a now a pro/anti death sentence conversation?

so is there anyone here that believes in the death penalty and thinks this guy doesnt deserve it? Or is this a now a pro/anti death sentence conversation?

How can it be anything but a death penalty discussion? You either support it or you don't. You either support every single individual's right to life, or you don't. Gaol is full of people who don't support every individual's right to life. Here is one more who doesn't adamantly support a fellow person's right to their life. And before any smartarse on here assumes this is implying there is a similarity or connection between supporters of the death penalty and those who commit murder, save your breath. You simply share a belief that sometimes it's OK for people to die from human choices. It's just applied in different circumstances. It's a view I find abhorrent. What is life if you do not endeavour to everything always to protect it? That's a rhetorical, by the way. I've got no sympathy for criminals. Their life and right to it will never be my choice to meddle in. It's a choice I severely doubt mankind's ability to make, generally.

Anyway, this is way off topic. I don't see how you can discuss the sentence of one man without it being about all men and women on death row.

How can it be anything but a death penalty discussion? You either support it or you don't. You either support every single individual's right to life, or you don't. Gaol is full of people who don't support every individual's right to life. Here is one more who doesn't adamantly support a fellow person's right to their life. And before any smartarse on here assumes this is implying there is a similarity or connection between supporters of the death penalty and those who commit murder, save your breath. You simply share a belief that sometimes it's OK for people to die from human choices. It's just applied in different circumstances. It's a view I find abhorrent. What is life if you do not endeavour to everything always to protect it? That's a rhetorical, by the way. I've got no sympathy for criminals. Their life and right to it will never be my choice to meddle in. It's a choice I severely doubt mankind's ability to make, generally.

Anyway, this is way off topic. I don't see how you can discuss the sentence of one man without it being about all men and women on death row.

Well there was this comment:

I'm not sure if he deserves the death penalty. I'd like to see him serve a life sentence where he could live with the agony of his guilt. That is, if he has any.

It sort of implies that in this case perhaps the death sentence isnt appropriate. The first few posts in the thread implied that there might be others who shared this view. I was intrigued as to what their reasoning may be, but the conversation quickly turned to another direction. As a matter of fact, the thread title includes the question "should there be a stay?", further implying there could be reasons that this man in particular should not be executed . In that sense, I do see how we can discuss the sentence of one man without it being about all men and women on death row. I also think it would make for a more interesting conversation than the typical anti/pro death sentence arguments/soap box, masturbatory drivel that cant possibly go anywhere

The only thing I find unique about this execution, and the final appeal to the US Supreme Court, is the fact that each member of the Court has a level of personal experience in the case. That is, in most cases the members of the Court are hearing cases in a detached almost abstract manner. Not here. Since they all live, work, and have family in the metro DC area, each of them surely experienced the personal terror of simply being outside, in a public space, while this savage was on the loose killing people at random for weeks. I'm not surprised to hear that they were not sympathetic to his appeal.

Back
Top Bottom